Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:04 AM

20,863 posts, read 28,209,689 times

Advertisements

Baking potatoes on a cookie sheet without having them wrapped in foil. A CD member told me about this and they cook much quicker and the skin (which is my favorite part gets crispy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Baking potatoes on a cookie sheet without having them wrapped in foil. A CD member told me about this and they cook much quicker and the skin (which is my favorite part gets crispy).

I learned this from foodnetwork.com, and also to coat them in olive oil and then roll in coarse sea salt before baking. Rather than cooking directly on the baking sheet I put the potatoes on the top rack of the oven and a baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch any drips of olive oil during baking. This allows them to cook evenly all around.

This really makes the skin crispy and delicious! It adds nice flavor to the potato.

This is the only way I bake potatoes now.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,255,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I learned this from foodnetwork.com, and also to coat them in olive oil and then roll in coarse sea salt before baking. Rather than cooking directly on the baking sheet I put the potatoes on the top rack of the oven and a baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch any drips of olive oil during baking. This allows them to cook evenly all around.

This really makes the skin crispy and delicious! It adds nice flavor to the potato.

This is the only way I bake potatoes now.
This is how I do it when I am not short on time.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM

83 posts, read 182,912 times
cutting cheese with fork prongs, and baking cake/or cookies at a low temp in the oven

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Freeze orange juice in ice cube trays, then pour cheap champagne over them to make Mimosas. Works even if the Champagne is not thoroughly chilled.

Drop raisins into champagne to re-fizz it.

When you can't open a lid on a jar, tap it on the floor a few times. Voila! It will pop open easily.

Make your rice in the microwave.

Put frozen bananas in a blender, add a little cream or milk - instant smoothie - you don't have to add anything else if you don't want to (but strawberries are good!)

For easy stuffed chicken: use string cheese

To clean a nasty microwave: put a bowl of water in center, cook on high for 7 minutes or so. The water will cover the interior of the microwave and soften any gunk . . . wipe out . . . clean microwave!

Substitute mashed up avocado for mayo on sandwiches.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,864,542 times
Tape waxed paper to the counter top to roll out pie crust. Untape it, fold it in half then put it in your pie plate and unfold it.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,814,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
To clean a nasty microwave: put a bowl of water in center, cook on high for 7 minutes or so. The water will cover the interior of the microwave and soften any gunk . . . wipe out . . . clean microwave!
Put a cup of lemon juice in the bowl with the water, and it freshens the microwave.

I just quickly wipe out the microwave each time I use it. Very fast and easy, and I never have "gunk" in my microwave.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM

917 posts, read 2,000,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
Peeling ginger with a spoon.
I started doing this.

Quote:
Cooking old fashioned rolled oats in the microwave is just as easy as those packets of instant oatmeal and much tastier and healthier.
I soak my oats ovenight in water and all I have to do is heat it up in the morning.

I love adding black pepper to my salads!

Good thread.

If anyone has advice for slicing sweet potatoes I'd be happy lol.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:36 PM

917 posts, read 2,000,536 times
Quote:
Put a cup of lemon juice in the bowl with the water, and it freshens the microwave.

I just quickly wipe out the microwave each time I use it. Very fast and easy, and I never have "gunk" in my microwave.
Gonna do this right now. I heard adding vinegar helps with to get rid of any smells.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,265,389 times
Adding minced garlic and herbs at the end of a sauté. I was always told to add the garlic first to "flavor the oil" but this only burns the garlic and makes it bitter. Likewise with herbs. Now I add them for the last 45 seconds or so and the flavors are much fresher and cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink