Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
I think emerging science is showing that meat is the last thing we should be cutting out. Less bread and sugary fruits like oranges and bananas! Those eskimos have very low incidents of heart disease and they have no fruit or vegetables to eat!
Thank you for saying this!! great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is excellent information, "9 Super Healthy Vegetarian Protein Sources."

vegetarian protein sources | 9 Super-Healthy, Vegetarian Protein Sources | Rodale News

Reducing (or completely eliminating) the amount of meat in your diet is good for your health, your grocery budget and the planet too.
anyone can find info, to fit there own agenda

like below- BEEF is good for you!

Healthy Eating with Beef

Old 02-06-2013, 08:46 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times
Strictly for health reasons, my cholesterol was sky high, it is coming down nicely thanks to meds and a mostly vegetarian diet. I do eat fish and chicken on occasion, but red meat is OUT.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 9,036 times
I am a cancer survivor (4 years, yay me!), and since having chemo my blood pressure has been yo-yoing. Also, I am on what is called an "aromatase inhibitor," and one of the side effects is increasing levels of "bad" cholesterol. After years of trial and, MOSTLY, error, I have finally found my personal "happy" place as far as meat consumption is concerned. I try to shoot for about 30% proteins, 20% fats, and 50% carbs, BUT my proteins come from mostly fish and a little chicken and non-animal proteins. (I have a weakness for cheese and dairy, though, so I struggle.) My carbs I try to get primarily from non-starchy veggies, and I shoot for high fiber. But I have not done away with all red meat and pork, I just limit it strictly. But for some reason, about every 2 months or so, I have to have some kind of REAL MEAT, which usually ends up being a grilled pork tenderloin or a roast. My kids LOVE my roast, and when they all come for a meal, I usually have some too.

I really dont buy into the "life without meat" plans though. I have 3 grown sons, and a daughter, and when they were teens, the boys especially would DEMAND meat. One son would call and beg for burgers or chicken sandwiches when I was on my way home from work (as his after-school snack), and he would eat 4 at a time, JUST the meat, throw the buns away. It was like throwing a steak to a hungry bear!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,071,509 times
Sometimes I crave meat! But according to a cardio doc's order, I'm not supposed to eat much red meat and never eat bacon or ham or anything else with lots of fat and sodium.

I have greatly reduced the amount of meat we eat but it's for health reasons, but it has helped on the budget too.

When a recipe calls for one pound of ground beef, I use barely 1/2 pound of meat....ground venison, ground beef if it's diet lean, ground turkey or reduced fat pork, or ground chicken. Our cholestrol levels have gone down even more than just the meds took it down.

Every once in a while, we have a lean old beef burger and I just slobber over myself when I have one as I do like a juicy old burger!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:02 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
I've found that so long as I work out like a fiend I can eat whatever I want. I get all the tests every 5 years and so far they are all right where they should be. Perfect colon, perfect enzyme tests and good cholesterol levels.

I've always been interested in what has taken out everyone since I graduated HS and obesity is the one thing that is static.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,193,666 times
Default 1950 Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We've been eating more fish/shellfish - twice a week. Otherwise we have chicken a few times a week and alternate the other days with turkey, beef, pork. I'd be o.k. making one of those days strictly vegetarian but I'm thinking that there might be protests from the menfolk in the family - lol.

The biggest thing that I've cut out of my own diet is starchy/sugary carbs.

Carbs addicts were born too late
Attached Thumbnails
Are you cutting down on meat for health or budget reasons?-1950.jpg  

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

917 posts, read 1,998,837 times
Quote:
I think emerging science is showing that meat is the last thing we should be cutting out. Less bread and sugary fruits like oranges and bananas! Those eskimos have very low incidents of heart disease and they have no fruit or vegetables to eat!
Really? That's interesting.

I am cutting back on meat for both health and financial reasons. I like meat but I am worried about the hormones that they put in it.

I don't think I can cut it out completely but I would like to eat it only a few times per week.

I just made some black eye pea stew last night with some quinoa. I made about 4 servings for less than $2. It was yummy too.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Heath reasons and because I don't care for the cruel mistreatment of animals.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Quote:
What does emerging science have to say about bioaccumulation and the contamination of the meat supply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink