Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

One time we stopped by a place we have never been before and had lunch. It was a diner style place, so I wasn't expecting anything but diner fare. Most of the food on people plates as we walked in look OK, the smell in the place was good.... so good food things should be happening, right??

WRONG!!!

I ordered the meatloaf plate. My god it was absolutely the worst thing I have eaten, stale, bland, tasted sorta freezer burnt.... the gravy they put on top was nasty, tasted like something dredged up after the BP gulf oil spill.....

The mashed potatoes were gnarly too.... I mean, how could you screw up mashed potatoes.....

I'm not a picky eater at all.... the screen name is "chowhound"... I mean come on.....

I actually had to ask the waitress to remove my plate as I was gonna hurl on that sucker......

She didn't seemed surprised at all by that... LOL, and I've never sent a plate back in my whole life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,524,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is difficult for me to find food I won't eat....but...awhile back, I had an eggroll, made with hamburger. It was the oddest thing I have ever had. Sort of like hamburger beef stew, with five spice seasoning, wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and fried. I suppose it is an acquired taste. I wanted to retch. The soup was even worse, Egg Drop Soup, with so much cornstarch, it was like glutinous paste, with frozen vegetable mix in it, and bright yellow food coloring. It gets better...the shrimp Kung Pow, the shrimp were not cleaned...and it was covered with brown sauce that reminded me of Hienz beef gravy.

Chinese food...Montana style. Don't ask.

Yuck

One of my most memorable was my sister's-in-law tamale pie. She did not have corn so she used canned peas instead. The problems was I could not not eat it.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

175 posts, read 315,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Funny that one of my favorite sea-foods is a relative of the cockroach !!!
Yes, shrimp and lobsters are related to roaches, very, very tasty roaches.

In reality, they are very distant cousins. They are not even in the same phylum on the species charts. A dog and bear are closer relatives.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
Yuck

One of my most memorable was my sister's-in-law tamale pie. She did not have corn so she used canned peas instead. The problems was I could not not eat it.
This is the funniest, can't stop laughing. Pea Tamale Pie LOL Gotta love it

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
Yes, shrimp and lobsters are related to roaches, very, very tasty roaches.

In reality, they are very distant cousins. They are not even in the same phylum on the species charts. A dog and bear are closer relatives.
I know that they are barely related but it was fun to say it !

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM

112 posts, read 308,542 times
After leaving the smoky mountains I stopped at a diner in Tennessee and ordered eggs and bacon. Worst eggs I have ever eaten. Was so embarrassed that I left the money and the tip and ran out to the car leaving two plates of uneaten food behind. We didn't want to see the cooks feelings hurt.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
I don't recall the name of it, but there it was at a pizza place in Easton, PA in the early 80s. We'd just attended a Lafayette game and went to this place. It was pretty crowded and we actually had to wait for a table.

If any of you have worked in a convenience store with a milk case and had to go back there to clean, you're familiar with the smell of milk puddles that have sat around all day and mops soaked in sour milk. That's what this pizza cheese smelled like. And everyone around us was just shoveling pizzas down. I couldn't do it.

I've had plenty of meals I've regretted, including a half dozen cases of food poisoning, but this was a freaking pizza. I expect to be able to choke down even a bad pizza. I was amazed others weren't having issues because the smell was rank and became overpowering after awhile.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I clearly remember my worse meal. It was on my honeymoon, 1986, and on the island of Hawaii. We flew to Hawaii from Ohau to spend the day there seeing the volcano and black sand beach. We rented a car and saw what we could in the amount of time we had before our plane left. We were really hungry and were looking for a restaurant near the airport and couldn't find one. Finally we came upon a Korean restaurant. We had never had Korean food, but figure it was close to Chinese (not!). First of all NO ONE spoke English that worked there and we were the only patrons (should have been a big hint). The menu was in Korean, so we had NO idea what we were ordering or what would even be good. When the non-English speaking waitress came over we just pointed to what we had chosen. Oh goodness, the food arrived and did not look or smell good. First of all there was a plate with all these dried up little fish on it. I tasted everything except those fish and didn't like a single thing. My husband ate a little but for the most part the food went untouched. We needed to catch our plane and I motioned over the waitress to get our bill. She didn't know what we wanted and poured up more water and left. We decided to just go to the front of the restaurant and try to pay our bill and get the heck out of there. As I was getting out of the booth I put my hand down on the bench seat and felt something crawling all over me. I looked down and next to me was a piece of food from another previous patron with ants and roaches all over it.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I ordered a deluxe pizza at a pizza restaurant in Marietta, OH. The pizza came with ... fake bacon bits ... instead of bacon.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,514,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I have eaten some, shall we say "exotic" cuisine, especially in the service. The weirdest and nastiest thing was in Honduras while in the Army. A Honderian soldier was going to treat us to a local delicacy, deep fried tarantulas. They tasted like chewy, crunchy mud.
I saw a show, I forget which one, that they had people eating those. The would sell them on the streets. I wondered what they tasted like, so thanks for saving me some misery, now I won't ever try them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink