Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:22 AM

15,442 posts, read 21,258,966 times

Advertisements

Biologically speaking, most immature mammals are cute, at least to their parents.

In the field, I've eaten kangaroo rat roasted over dried cow chips but I'd come close to starving before I'd eat lamb. Cute or not, I just don't like the taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,789,978 times
Peruvian food, from guinea pigs to pisco sours – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs
Cuy - A Traditional Andean Entree

Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,302,997 times
I raised chickens as a kid and loved them but I say as fact by the age of 11 when a hen stopped laying I could use a hatchet and chopping block, 3 legged cast iron of boiling water, a good knife and prepare them for my mom to pick pin feathers from in the kitchen before we ate chicken and dumplings. And now with all the oversized/to fat fryers in the stores it is time to take up the practice again. 6 lb fryers want turn on my spit on the gas grill. It's pitifull what has become of the poultry industry.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I raised chickens as a kid and loved them but I say as fact by the age of 11 when a hen stopped laying I could use a hatchet and chopping block, 3 legged cast iron of boiling water, a good knife and prepare them for my mom to pick pin feathers from in the kitchen before we ate chicken and dumplings. And now with all the oversized/to fat fryers in the stores it is time to take up the practice again. 6 lb fryers want turn on my spit on the gas grill. It's pitifull what has become of the poultry industry.
fryers are 3-4 lbs

roasters are 5-8 lbs

try a cornish game hen for the rotisserrie-they are good!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,302,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
fryers are 3-4 lbs

roasters are 5-8 lbs

They are even cuter (on the rotisserie. )

I can't find old fashioned 3 lb fryers at any market now.
I think when Cornish x Rock replaced New Hampshire Reds as the dominant breeding for the fryer market we lost quality big time.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Most of the game hens that I have prepared have tasted very bland. What go you use to marinate or prepare your cornish game hens??

Old 06-02-2013, 05:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,548,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of the game hens that I have prepared have tasted very bland. What go you use to marinate or prepare your cornish game hens??
Drunk game hens. Yum.

Drunk any bird for that matter. Plenty of recipes on the net.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

with the butterflied cornish game hen,,,usually just a dry rub,,,,it can be just a bbq seasoning, or garlic/pepper, or lemon/pepper

or i will slather some bbq sauce on sometimes too

Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
My dad hunted and fished all the time and we ate whatever he caught; my cousin would rather eat wild meat than anything and our son in law used to go hunting a couple of times a year (not so much anymore) I grew up in a family where some raised chickens and dad raised rabbits. As long as I am not the one that has to kill it, I am fine. I did have a lot of trouble with rabbits for awhile. I had a pet one, of course, but she was just a rabbit to use for breeding and dad would slaughter her babies. One Sunday, mom fried a rabbit for dinner. Daddy proceeded to tell me, it was one on Bonnie's babies. I couldn't eat rabbit for years. To this day I have no idea if it was one of her babies or not.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My dad hunted and fished all the time and we ate whatever he caught; my cousin would rather eat wild meat than anything and our son in law used to go hunting a couple of times a year (not so much anymore) I grew up in a family where some raised chickens and dad raised rabbits. As long as I am not the one that has to kill it, I am fine. I did have a lot of trouble with rabbits for awhile. I had a pet one, of course, but she was just a rabbit to use for breeding and dad would slaughter her babies. One Sunday, mom fried a rabbit for dinner. Daddy proceeded to tell me, it was one on Bonnie's babies. I couldn't eat rabbit for years. To this day I have no idea if it was one of her babies or not.
i think this was quite common in years past,,,i remember my brother and i use to name the cows on my grandfathers farm,,,,and he would say- you might be eating them one day, dont get too attached
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink