Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Is that a different type of pea? I've never heard of any kind but green and black eyed.
Yes there are different and very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My mom always made creamed peas from scratch. I've never seen them for sale already prepared.

They are super easy to make, have you looked for a recipe?
They are a snap to make: just make a basic white sause and add the peas, fresh or frozen, but I don't think many people use fresh anymore. My mom did, and we would usually have small, new potatoes mixed in as well or the tiny pearl onions.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Are these the same as white acre peas?

Butter peas are also good, and I could find the frozen ones at the grocery. I haven't looked in awhile.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Are these the same as white acre peas?

Butter peas are also good, and I could find the frozen ones at the grocery. I haven't looked in awhile.
I don't know, never heard of white acre peas, the actual name is Lady Cream Peas. Never heard of butter peas either.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 AM

90 posts, read 178,077 times
When I moved to north FL, i would say "peas" and people would think black eyed, white acre, zipper, etc which I had never heard of, except for black eyed. When I replied, "no, green peas" the response was "oh you mean English peas." I had never heard that terminology before.
I tried to grow green peas there several times but they do not like the heat. So I tried planting them in the fall garden and had no better luck. To me, black eyed peas and their cousins taste like the sandy dirt they grow in. Maybe they taste better if grown in non-sandy soil. I tried "peas" cooked by several friends but never acquired a taste for them.
-izzy

Old 02-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy508 View Post
When I moved to north FL, i would say "peas" and people would think black eyed, white acre, zipper, etc which I had never heard of, except for black eyed. When I replied, "no, green peas" the response was "oh you mean English peas." I had never heard that terminology before.
I tried to grow green peas there several times but they do not like the heat. So I tried planting them in the fall garden and had no better luck. To me, black eyed peas and their cousins taste like the sandy dirt they grow in. Maybe they taste better if grown in non-sandy soil. I tried "peas" cooked by several friends but never acquired a taste for them.
-izzy
In Texas green peas are always called English peas.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,163 times
I was inspired by another pea thread here to look up some recipes just a minute ago, and I happened across a few recipes calling for English peas, one was by Paula Deen. Couldn't understand what they meant by English peas, and now I understand the reference, so thanks!

Glad you did this thread - I learned something and have something new to try out! Hope you find your cream peas.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Why are cream peas impossible to find? Any suggestions on where to buy them??
"Creamed peas" is a prepared dish of peas in white sauce (a bechamel or roux).

All you do is buy a package of frozen peas (not cream peas..just peas), make a roux, toss the frozen peas in the roux, and simmer til the peas are hot.

A roux is just butter cooked with flour, then milk added and stirred constantly until the clumpy flour/butter combo thickens the milk into a sauce of -almost- pudding consistency (but slightly more liquidy).

I found "Lady Cream Peas" in a google search - a type of southern cowpea that doesn't really look all that much like a sweet pea - definitely not the same thing as "cream peas" for which there exists no variety, and is just a misspelling of cream*ED* peas, the prepared dish. Thus ends the mystery!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Maybe look here, it's a pretty good brand with some harder to find canned beans and peas.
Products - Margaret Holmes - McCall Farms
Pictsweet has frozen butter peas and white acre peas, so maybe one of those would come close
Quality vegetables from Pictsweet, a family owned, family run frozen vegetable company.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
Pictsweet has frozen white acre cream (may be "creme") peas. I think they are the same. I have never seen them at our stores here in TN. I have been looking since I saw this thread.

I sure would like to have a plateful, seasoned with ham, with cornbread on the side. Add some greens and you have a good meal.

You can also buy seed for Lady Cream Peas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink