Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times

Advertisements

The number does seem low....but I guess if you eat out twice a week that could account for 10% of your calories.

Also, this indicates something else must account for the rising obesity rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The number does seem low....but I guess if you eat out twice a week that could account for 10% of your calories.

Well, yeah...even the food you buy at the market (processed, boxed food) is full of total crap, refined carbs, HFCS, etc.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I can't understand why fast food joints don't start using light mayonnaise by default, it's not like anyone would notice. They don't even provide the option. Its amazing how much full fat mayo they plop on a Whopper or chicken sandwich, probably 15 grams of fat worth.

When I order a Tendergrill from BK I get it no mayo, then I bring it home and put my own light mayo on it.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Wow that is crazy. I have fast food about 2x a month. My fast food meal is equivalent in calories to a regular meal for me. My choices may or may not be the most nutritious when I eat fast food, but I balance it out with other meals. I tend to stick with smaller items on the menu.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I never eat fast food. However, I am working out of town with a new coworker this week and she insists on eating breakfast and lunch at McDonalds every single day. Then in the afternoon she goes back to get an ice cream cone.

The rest of our group goes somewhere else so we can get salads. But first we have to take her to McDonalds to pick up her food.
Remember you can get a decent salad at a lot of fast food restaurants. This is the point some of us are trying to make. Just because it is fast food, doesn't make it automatically unhealthy. I don't eat at many of them and have only been to Micky D's a couple times in the past 3 or 4 years, but I do know there are healthy choices. The same with Wendy's and other fast food places.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm sure if we had the actual study, we'd have the definition of fast food.
You can't do a study without reasonably outlining the parameters.
Not necessarily, some studies are very broad and if you are right, then you can't really say, you never eat fast food, can you? If we don't know what criteria the study was using, we can't say we do or do not eat fast food. The exception would be, if you, can honestly say you never go Olive Garden type of restaurants either. You only go to independent operated dining establishments. This is why I just don't put too much into any of these studies, we do not know how they were done.

You are right, if we did, we could better voice our honest opinion.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I don't believe that! LOL!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do what my mother did on every one of our road trips. Pack a cooler.
You can keep a hamburger hot and juicy in a cooler? Amazing!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

I realize we are getting off subject, but when you mention rising obesity rates, I think we have to take so many things into account. of course fast food is one or them and just eating out period is another. Be it fast food, home delivery, pick up on the way home from work, whatever? With 2 working parents now days, it is hard to prepare healthy meals all the time. Add to that the sugar that is added to almost everything we eat, from cereal, to salad dressing (especially low fat ones) and even canned goods. Then we have to remember, many of us, growing up played outside more than kids do today, we didn't have computers to entertain us and 24/7 TV. As adults, we did a lot more physical work around the home. Daddy didn't have a rider mower, he may not have had a gas operated one. Mommy didn't have a dish washer (other than the kids) We didn't have electric edgers, garage door openers, remote control TV and we walked or rode our bikes everywhere. I could go on and on, but I don't think fast food is the cause of obesity. I know you are saying the same thing, but so many want to generalize, when there are so many factors involved.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I realize we are getting off subject, but when you mention rising obesity rates, I think we have to take so many things into account. of course fast food is one or them and just eating out period is another. Be it fast food, home delivery, pick up on the way home from work, whatever? With 2 working parents now days, it is hard to prepare healthy meals all the time. Add to that the sugar that is added to almost everything we eat, from cereal, to salad dressing (especially low fat ones) and even canned goods. Then we have to remember, many of us, growing up played outside more than kids do today, we didn't have computers to entertain us and 24/7 TV. As adults, we did a lot more physical work around the home. Daddy didn't have a rider mower, he may not have had a gas operated one. Mommy didn't have a dish washer (other than the kids) We didn't have electric edgers, garage door openers, remote control TV and we walked or rode our bikes everywhere. I could go on and on, but I don't think fast food is the cause of obesity. I know you are saying the same thing, but so many want to generalize, when there are so many factors involved.
Some places don't have sidewalks or crosswalks so you can't even think about taking a walk. We have basically engineered out all activity.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink