Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 PM

238 posts, read 226,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
When I eat my ice cream "unadulterated", it's right out of the carton!
GMTA I was thinking exactly this.

I have weird texture issues, so dark meat chicken or turkey, while flavorful, even tiny bites in casseroles or something squick me out something fierce.

I am pretty sure brussel sprouts are one of the most vile substances known to man- they look like little alien heads, smell horrendous and taste worse whether they are roasted, baked, boiled (gag- those were the worst) baconized, whatever. (And no, they are nothing like cabbage to me, which I taught myself to like.)

Mousse- I get pudding or whipped cream, but mousse? Again, I think it's a texture issue- when I had to review the Jello mousse it was not pretty. (My family thought it was a riot though and then they got into who could squish it down and shoot it out further from their teeth across the room.) Yeah, grown girls did this. Ha! Good thing the grandson was too young to pick up our fabulous habits. Oh and I have tasted it at really nice restaurants in various locations, but didn't make a spectacle of myself- just didn't care for it, discreetly wiped my mouth with my napkin and put my spoon up. ;-)

Canned meat- spam, those sausage thingies (the guys at hubs work used to call them monkey d*cks, not sure of the real name?) some hash stuff, whatever- hubs likes it, I can't be in the house when he opens it, I think cat food smells better than any of those do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
One time my ex was eating canned beef stew, he offered some to the cat, who sniffed it, and immediately started to paw the table, in a vain attempt at covering the vile, disgusting, grossness, that was offending him.

My ex never bought another can of beef stew...I mean, when a cat tries to cover it up...that is pretty telling.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Lobsters and crabs.

Can't even stand the smell of them in the grocery store, abhor the idea of actually eating them.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I am still experiencing the effects of an incredibly delicious Chardonnay as I write this. Tonight I made skirt steak on the grill with veggies and mushroom risotto.

Please forgive me if I have offended anyone, but risotto?? I don't get risotto. Soooo much starch.. so Why did I make it? I happen to do a have way decent job of preparing it and people ask me to make it for them besides the mushrooms worked so well ... Anyway ... Do you have a dish or food group that seems decidedly pointless?

Thanks!!

I would not even get out of my chair for any sort of seafood or mushrooms.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:29 AM

6,479 posts, read 6,114,019 times
Veggie soup
Eggplant
Green beans
Endive
Turnip greens
Asparagus
Broccoli
Lentil
Elephant garlic
Squash

Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 AM

23,871 posts, read 32,141,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Fast food. Contains processed junk, "Pink Slime" and horse meat in some cases. Would grab a bag of nuts and water over that or go without.
I'll agree with you about fast food - it ubiquitous and sometimes I've had to cross the street to get away from it!

It remains trendy, but I never bought into the 30 year love of sushi. Raw fish? NO. Just no. Foods that can give you worms and parasites? Uh...NO!

Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
There are a lot of things I wouldn't bother to walk across the street for but I don't hate them: I totally hate:

egg plant
some organ meats (not all)
tongue
hominy
caviar

I wouldn't go out of my way for:
spam or any canned meats
some pastas (too starchy)
okra
cold cereal
pate
canned veggies except for corn or beets

I am sure there are others but it is way too early in the morning to think that hard.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM

68,271 posts, read 54,010,088 times
I wouldn't walk an inch for liver but I'm glad I read this thread, I've got everything in stock and will make a nice porcini/Italian sausage/green pea risotto for dinner

Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 AM

68,271 posts, read 54,010,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I agree risotto is a lot of work for what amounts to mushy soft rice. I also wouldn't walk across the street from quinoa. If you have to add a ton of stuff to get flavor, for either of these items, why not just make rice?
Because rice is to a well-made risotto as a boiled potato is to a good gratin or Pommes Anna.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,190,720 times
Coleslaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink