Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times

Advertisements

I think the farmers are picking the fruits and vegetables way too soon, before they are ready for pick -up, and as a result they are not sweet enough, or mature enough.

Take an example: I purchased in Orlando,
florida 5 pounds of red potatoes from Goodness on Earth, distributed by Farm Fresh Direct, LLC, from Monte Vista, Colorado, and in the f.ront it says U.S. No. 1 potatoes. When I attempted to cut them up, I noticed how difficult it was to cut them, I mean they were hard. So I took out my hatchet and used it, instead of a regular knife.

Then I figured if they are this hard maybe it is better if I cook them for 7 minutes, and then bake them with the chicken I had prepared for dinner. Well, even one hour and 10 minutes later at 375 degrees, they were still not soft enough.

Cannot believe this. Is there a farmer there that can enlighten me as to what happened to these potatoes, before they were shipped to Walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am not a farmer, but it seems like you got a batch grown with not enough water. The first clue is not being able to cut them with a knife. A good potato has juice coming out of it when you cut it, a whitish starch substance that coats a knife.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I think many fruits and veggies are picked too early. I can think of so many things that I know should taste better but don't because they were picked early. The only thing I can think of that I buy that is picked early and turns out ok are bananas. I buy them a little green and then they ripen in a couple of days. Strawberries, tomatoes, peaches, and watermelon don't taste good at all when we get them in the summer here, it is disappointing.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
If you want better produce, don't buy it at Walmart. Buy it locally from a farmer, a CSA or at a farmer's market.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
This scenario makes no sense. Redskin potatoes are well-known for being excellent as "new" (baby) tubers. It's not like a tomato that has to ripen to peak sweetness. Are you sure they weren't green from having been over-exposed to light? That makes them chnage texture, if they are trying to sprout vines.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Seems like those potatoes where not cured properly after harvest.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Cured? Since when do potatoes get cured after harvest? You yank one up from the ground, wash it off, and cook it.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It is not possible to harvest potatoes too early. New baby potatoes are a real treat. One which you will rarely be able to buy in the store.

However, you are correct that most fruits and vegetables are picked too soon. They don't ship well when they are fully ripe, and they have a short shelf life.

But that's not the only problem. Fruits and veggies have been developed to have tougher skins so that they can be mechanically harvested and withstand long distance shipping. Flavor has not been a priority.

The most flavorful fruits do not ship well. They are tender and bruise easily. Consumers will not pay for bruised fruit. I grow fruit. That's my hobby. I have about 30 varieties of apples, and only 3 of those are ever available at grocery stores. Some of the best tasting varieties of apples are "ugly". Consumers will not pay for ugly fruit, so you will never see the very best tasting apples at a grocery store.

Fresh picked, home grown veggies are superior, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink