Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 08:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,854,975 times

Advertisements

I haven't made this stuff in years- Making good mac and cheese from scratch is so easy and so much better but some still do and need to know about this.

Mom Bloggers Want Yellow Dye Out of Kraft Mac & Cheese - ABC News

Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,280,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I haven't made this stuff in years- Making good mac and cheese from scratch is so easy and so much better but some still do and need to know about this.

I am sure almost everyone who eats Kraft or any other boxed mac and cheese knows about the yellow die. I doubt the cheese is real, but many people love the stuff. I don't think I have bought a box for 30 years, I may have when the kids were still at home and our daughter said Mac and Cheese helped her get through college. She lived on it when in an apartment. Of course when she got her monthly check form mommy and daddy she would add a can of tuna. That was the first week after check, the rest of the time it was Mac and Cheese. Her husband still loves it.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM

32,804 posts, read 36,064,857 times
Check out this list of foods containing yellow #5:

Interesting: Foods with dye Yellow #5 (tartrazine) Community Forums - p1 - Food.com

Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,815,476 times
Quote:

Several dyes that are used in this country have been banned in other countries, the US really lags behind in this area.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM

61,308 posts, read 86,209,732 times
We have cheap food, in cheap food they use cheap ingredients. Food coloring is everywhere. The most dangerous #40 is even in body wash and shampoo. Not only we eat it, but also we absorb it through the skin.
Toxic Food Dyes and Dangers of Artificial Food Coloring

Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,838,203 times
Quote:

OK... if making good mac and cheese from scratch is so easy and it's so much better, it would seem a much better investment of the mom bloggers' time and resources just making it from scratch instead of trying to get a major corporation to make their thoroughly crappy product ever slightly less crappy.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM

26,645 posts, read 28,497,238 times
I noticed in the UK that Birds Eye made healthy frozen meals -- entire MEALS--without additives. When I came back to the US I thought maybe I could find similar over here but no. UK foods were not more expensive than ours either.

They also don't have hormones in their beef. You can't put hormones into your body year after year and not be damaged from it somehow. But if we want hormone free beef we have to pay extra for it.

I wish more people here would protest these things.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,733,534 times
I used to love Kraft Mac and Cheese for many years until 2 years ago when they changed thier recipe and it became disgusting!!!!! (Noodles stuck together when making it,etc) -- I thought it was a problem with something in the water!! (Then i noticed on the package the calories had dropped from 410 to 400 (SOMETHING CHANGED IN THIER STUFF))

Luckily I have found another macaroni and cheese that is AS GOOD AS THIERS WAS before they changed it for no reason!

CLEAR VALUE MAC AND CHEESE

http://slimdiary.com/foods/clear-mac...inner-f2253321

I love it

Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,214,385 times
I never got the obsession with Kraft dinner. It's entirely disgusting. Seriously.
I'm shocked at how many moms feed it to kids, including young toddlers, and then complain that they won't eat 'real food'.
My son has never tried it and I'll never even have it in my home. Blergh. If you really need the convenience, there are organic brands like Annie's that do a natural version, though I still don't like the idea of powdered, shelf-stable cheese.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,214,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
We have cheap food, in cheap food they use cheap ingredients. Food coloring is everywhere. The most dangerous #40 is even in body wash and shampoo. Not only we eat it, but also we absorb it through the skin.
Toxic Food Dyes and Dangers of Artificial Food Coloring
Okay, I don't understand how even the 'cheap food' excuse explains the need to pump chemical artificial crap into everything, like color. If anything, it costs money to manufacture and add that crap in, and it's not like it does anything for the food except make it a disgusting acid-trip color. So why?? Why add it? I've even seen coloring listed on a pack of butter. I mean seriously, why do you need that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink