Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM

44 posts, read 169,782 times

Advertisements

Can't you just boil your water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM

415 posts, read 764,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know why you would want to deprive your children of flouride. If you were old enough, you would remember what it is like to have your children have 6-8 cavities every 6 months. This is what it was like before flouride was put in water.

O Boy... fluoride should never be consumed, it's toxic waste.. from Aluminum and steel plants also fertilizer plants, the fluoride in our drinking water isn't even medical grade, it's plant waste.. they needed to dispose of it.. and came up with a scam back in the 40s , ya drink it ... it's good for your teeth,lol... spend a few few days researching fluoride, hell just read the back of a tube of tooth paste, you know it has fluride in it?? right? it's states if swallowed cont tact Poison control ASAP... why is that.... why when their was a fluoride spill in Rock Il years ago they had to call full Haz mat out to deal with it ...your question takes me back to the Old commercials of the 60s with Dr,s and scientist, teachers cigaret commercials of how got it was , and good for you puff puff...... are cigarets still good for you , Hmmm should check...

really just go dig..do some research...I wont do it for you...So enjoy your fluoride and pack of camel smokes (kidding)
you want to see bad, destroyed teeth. google Dental fluorosis.... it when fluoride builds up in your body, bones and brain mainly...

Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM

42 posts, read 49,453 times
I just installed a separate faucet under sink filter a few weeks ago. I had an under faucet filter for awhile, but it was a pain and took up counterspace. The new one has three filters and it's under the sink.

I grew up in an area with great public water. I drank it plain. But the area I moved to (Fairfax County VA) has noticeably hard water. I even have a filter for my showerhead. That's helped a lot. (It's not a great expensive filter, but it helps to soften the water a bit.)

Old 03-12-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Pink View Post
Can't you just boil your water?
well ya, boiling would help kill bacteria in the water and boil off the chlorine quickly.. but sure wont remove the fluoride if it's in the water...like i said if your water has fluoride in it'' do some do diligence and research what consuming fluoride does to a body, kids for sure...ugh' some states don't allow fluoride in their drinking water,why?, and a lot of other countries believe it's insane some states here do IT', why...

brought me back to this.... Doctors pushed smoking cig's are good for you ,lol Smooth on the throat'' Same for consuming fluoride,lol... go ahead, chug it''

old vid's

Unbelievable: doctors recommend smoking ! 60 years ago... - YouTube

Hydrofluorosilicic Acid, spill in Rock Island Il..

Fluoride Spill In Illinois Eats Concrete In Driveway Hydrofluorosilicic Acid - YouTube

Hexafluorosilicic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

again read the Waring's on the back of a tube of tooth paste, then wonder why would ya add it to our drinking water, Hmm..some would say well it's such a small amount' ya it is but your body collects it over your life time, like a slow poisoning

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
who would have ever thought you could SELL Canadians water? I put in wells from Los Angeles to Bellingham but I've never seen such crappy water as on the prairies. And that's before the latest fracking problems from Alberta to Colorado to Texas.

answer: Yes. Reverse osmosis system. I'm not letting my cows drink this stuff.City of Calgary took flouride out since my last posting in 2000. Tastes bad, but nothing like Rocky View County, which tastes like tranny fluid is mixed in. City water site specs. higher phosphorous and calcium, but there's something else in there, and it's not good.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I once saw an interview with a man who was turning 100 years old. He was asked what was the most astonishing thing he had witnessed in his lifetime. His answer was ,"that people actually pay to buy bottles of water".
I've always drunk tap water, no matter where I have lived, both city and well water, and those of you who don't are perhaps a bit too suggestible.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Just to inject a little factual information into this thread, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) has this to say about community fluoridation of water...

Quote:
For 65 years, community water fluoridation has been a safe and healthy way to effectively prevent tooth decay. CDC has recognized water fluoridation as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.
CDC - Community Water Fluoridation - Oral Health

And to counter some of the misinformation previously posted...

The ENTIRE warning on toothpaste states "If MORE than is used in toothbrushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away " (emphasis mine) and it appears on both regular and fluoride toothpastes. In other words, if you accidentally swallowed the toothpaste you just brushed with it's ok, but if your toddler eats a whole tube of toothpaste they could have a stomach upset, or possibly worse, so get medical advice.

Many communities in the southwest have naturally occurring fluoride in their water, which is how the anti-cavity properties of fluoride was first discovered, by a dentist in Denver.

The fluoride added to community water supplies is not toxic waste. This disproved claim was started as part of conspiracy theories that claimed all kinds of changes were being made to our food and water so that we will all be turned into mindless robots... a fanciful tale that doesn't check out in reality.

The same can be said about all the other wild claims against fluoridation... they have no credible science behind them, and they are pushed by scaremongers who either have a book to sell you, or who have a conspiracy agenda to push.

Meanwhile the FDA and the CDC, after extensive research, not only have proved that the fluoridation of community water as safe and effective, but consider it one of the top achievements in Public Health of the last century, because of the dramatic reduction in cavities, and thus the dramatic improvement in dental health the treatment produces. And all at a cost of only about $1 per year per person.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
I buy spring water for drinking and cooking. All other water use, bathing, washing dishes, clothes, and toilet flushes is city water. A few months ago we received a notice from our City Water District that there has been an increase in the amount of arsnic in our water supply. They assured us that it isn't harmful - but hey - I don't trust that. I agree with OP about the floride being harmful - I just don't trust it. Who knows that the huge increase in recent years of the incidence of Alzheimers could be those who spent decades consuming water that was floridated. I doubt anyone is even looking into that possibility.

IMO if someone "wants" floride in their water, that should be an option for their own household and not forced on those of us that do not want it.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 03-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM

you like fluoride in your tap water, good, enjoy... we have tooth paste, we use tooth paste in my house...we don't need to drink it, which does zero for teeth..but your bones collect it over your life time, the fluoride added to our water isn't medical fluoride it's fluoride waste from factory's.. don't hurt to reasearch..but do as you will, all good...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
the fluoride added to our water isn't medical fluoride it's fluoride waste from factory's.. don't hurt to reasearch...
Indeed, it doesn't hurt to do the research. And if you research this in reliable sources you'll find that the claim that fluoride is "toxic waste" is not true, and that this is part of the misinformation packet that was invented by the people who created the anti-fluoridation movement.

Furthermore, if you dig far enough, you'll find the disturbing fact that the anti-fluoridation movement was started as part of an anti-Semitic campaign to discredit mainstream medicine and dentistry as being controlled by a "Jewish conspiracy." Six decades later the message has been cleaned up to make it more palatable to the general public, but the "big lie" approach... tell a lie enough times and people begin to believe it... has definitely worked in this case. Now people pass around these invented stories as if they were true, when they are not.

Add to that a certain portion of the public irrationally distrusts science, and latches onto half-truths and rumors and labels them gospel. As an example, years ago in early Alzheimers research it was discovered that some Alzheimers patients had concentrations of aluminum in their brains, so immediately people got paranoid about cooking with aluminum pans, using baking powders containing aluminum salts, etc. Years later dietary aluminum was cleared of blame... a good thing, since it's one of the commonest elements and is in nearly everything... when they were able to establish that Alzheimers causes aluminum concentration, rather than the other way around. And yet some people still talk as if aluminum foil is hazardous to your health, etc. Once it has been repeated enough times, misinformation just never seems to go away.

BTW, there is another type of filter system that has not been mentioned yet, but which is excellent... .5 mil ceramic filters, which can convert disease carrying ditch water and convert it into safe drinking water. The typical "Fine" filter people use stops particles 5 mil and larger, which is fine grit. This is 10 times finer, which stops bacteria and viruses. I use a small dome filter that costs about $25 and is good for 6 months. It's excellent for disaster planning supplies, because with the addition of two containers, such as 5 gallon plastic buckets, one can obtain safe drinking water even if the main water supply is compromised or stops working. There are also larger ceramic "candle" filters which can be used for whole house filtering. They are higher maintenance than the 5 mil type, because they stop so much more than a "Fine," but where there is any chance of contamination... such as with wells and rainwater catchment systems... they are my filter of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink