Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Nutrition and the healthfulness of something are not the same thing. Whether or not you think an egg is good for you, it's unarguably highly nutritious.

Studies suggest that dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on CVD and CVD markers for people without diabetes. And breakfast foods tend to more calorically dense than lunch and dinner foods for a very good reason. Breakfast is usually eaten after an 8 to 10-hour fast, in which the body is in a catabolic state and is greatly in need of calories, fat, and protein. It is usually all the person is going to eat for the next 4 or 5 hours, and a substantial breakfast increases metabolism for the rest of the day. While corned beef hash with eggs might not be the ideal breakfast, it is highly nutritious and highly filling and will keep someone full until lunch.

A breakfast like that is also not why we have so much obesity. That was a common breakfast 100+ years ago, long before the obesity epidemic exploded. That type of breakfast has massively declined in prevalence throughout the obesity epidemic. What has increased during this time is sugary cereals (aka all of them), granola bars, juice, pastries, Iced Mochas, flavored yogurt full of sugar, pop tarts, Mountain Dew, red bull, etc.
A generous serving of corned beef hash and eggs could actually keep some people reasonably full until dinner. You might just need a banana or yogurt in the early afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:38 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Wow some of these breakfasts are so high in fat and or sugar!
Or not fast.

Hit the local Steak&Shake drive through for a sausage egg and cheese on rye toast cut into quarters.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times
Why would you get up only 1/2 hour before you have to leave the house?? Anything you eat, you would have to gulp down and that is NOT healthy.

Why don't you get up 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before you have to leave?? That would give you time to have a nice shower, fix a decent breakfast and enjoy it while watching the morning news. Then you can get dressed and be on your way. You wouldn't have to "rush" to work, either. This would be a much healthier scenario (both physically and emotionally) than getting up and having 30 minutes to shower, eat, dress, and run out the door.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Cook some scrambled eggs the night before and the next morning add cheese, or salsa, or green chilies and heat it up in the microwave.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,763,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Why would you get up only 1/2 hour before you have to leave the house?? Anything you eat, you would have to gulp down and that is NOT healthy.

Why don't you get up 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before you have to leave?? That would give you time to have a nice shower, fix a decent breakfast and enjoy it while watching the morning news. Then you can get dressed and be on your way. You wouldn't have to "rush" to work, either. This would be a much healthier scenario (both physically and emotionally) than getting up and having 30 minutes to shower, eat, dress, and run out the door.
Back in high school I used to get up 1/2 hour before I had to get out to the bus stop. I showered after I came home for the day, every day - and not after waking up in the morning. I was brought up to believe it's pretty disgusting to climb into bed dirty from the day. So there was no shower in the morning.

Makeup took 5 minutes, dressing took less than 5 minutes. That left me 20 minutes to eat a bowl of fortified cereal with milk, drink a glass of OJ, and grab my books and head out the door.

It doesn't take 20 minutes to eat a bowl of cereal. So I got to review any last second homework questions while I ate.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I make a large batch of Irish oatmeal on Sundays and keep it in the fridge, and heat it up in the microwave. Better and cheaper than the mixes you add water to.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:28 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Back in high school I used to get up 1/2 hour before I had to get out to the bus stop. I showered after I came home for the day, every day - and not after waking up in the morning. I was brought up to believe it's pretty disgusting to climb into bed dirty from the day. So there was no shower in the morning.

Makeup took 5 minutes, dressing took less than 5 minutes. That left me 20 minutes to eat a bowl of fortified cereal with milk, drink a glass of OJ, and grab my books and head out the door.

It doesn't take 20 minutes to eat a bowl of cereal. So I got to review any last second homework questions while I ate.
I get up at 6:33am. I am in the car headed for work by 6:53-6:56am.
And yes, my bed is made.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,011 times
In the morning I usually have about 12-14 minutes to eat breakfast. I was eating some plain ol' peanut butter, but now I eat Quaker Oats oatmeal in those tubs that also have apples, raisins, and some other stuff. 45 seconds to cook and easy to eat! I get the green one.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
In the morning I usually have about 12-14 minutes to eat breakfast. I was eating some plain ol' peanut butter, but now I eat Quaker Oats oatmeal in those tubs that also have apples, raisins, and some other stuff. 45 seconds to cook and easy to eat! I get the green one.
Those tubs are so high in sugar and calories in relationship to the small serving. They are also very expensive when comparing them to regular oatmeal....the big problem I have with them is the sugar and how processed they are....plain oatmeal with an apple - much better choice.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM

708 posts, read 954,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
..plain oatmeal with an apple - much better choice.
For you, but not for everyone. That breakfast would make me gag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink