Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM

803 posts, read 1,669,116 times

Advertisements

For defrosting chicken breasts in the fridge, roughly three-quarters of a day per pound seems to work. When I put a frozen three pound pack of chicken breasts in the fridge on Friday morning, it's completely thawed by about lunchtime on Sunday.

For freezer storage, refer to this page: http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

Last edited by ASOT; 03-14-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,065 times
You can keep it for a long time frozen. People buy whole cows and freeze all the meat for a very long time. It should be fine. The only thing you have to make certain of is properly storing it so you don't get freezer burn.

To defrost I always just put the meat out at room temperature on a plate or cookie sheet in the morning and come back from work and it is ready to use. Like the other poster said, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS cook meat at room temperature and not out of the fridge (but thawed). Rookie mistake.

Bacteria is not an issue for thawing at room temperature and leaving it if you use safe food prep methods and cook it properly. I've never gotten sick. Try traveling abroad sometime, many places in the world sell meat from the butcher right outside in the open with no refrigeration, yet many people buy it and don't get sick.

Totally agree with Eugene above.

Last edited by fibonacci; 03-14-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,181,346 times
^
thank you all for your advice! I think i will keep the chicken till next weekend and make a good chicken dish on Saturday!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,770,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
From my experience frozen meat usually takes about 2 full days to defrost in the refrigerator, possibly more depending on size. I have no qualms about defrosting meat at room temperature, or even eating cooked meat that has been sitting at room temperature for 6 hours. Realistically, the chances of properly cooked meat that was defrosted at room temperature causing illness are all but non-existent. And in my opinion, trying to prevent illness by creating a 100% sterile environment is like trying to make your muscles stronger by never using them. Your immune system is strengthened by fighting off pathogens, and is weakened by never being exposed to anything. Unless you're planning on becoming bubble boy, your immune system is going to have to fight things off. This is anecdotal, but the germophobes I know invariably tend to be the ones who are sick all the time.

I do take great care to avoid cross-contamination though. I won't use tongs on raw meat and then on cooked meat without washing them. I don't use leftover marinade on cooked meat unless I boil it first. I don't let raw meat leak onto vegetables in the fridge. I don't cut raw meat on a cutting board and then cut vegetables on it, and so on.

I prefer not to defrost things in cool water or the microwave though. It seems to me to reduce the quality of the meat and make it tougher or change the texture. I have one of these that I use if I need to defrost something fairly quickly:

I was very skeptical at first but it actually works very, very well. It's made some kind of highly conductive material that thaws things very quickly. Chicken tenders are completely thawed on it in under an hour. Chicken breasts in about an hour. Tilapia in about 30 minutes. I just have to set it over the sink because the water will run off of it as it defrosts things.

I like to let meat come to room temperature before cooking it. It cooks much better at room temperature than refrigerator temperature.
I completely agree with everything you have said. I let stuff thaw at room temp all the time. I never think far enough ahead to put it in the fridge the day before. And on the few times I've tried that, it would still be partially frozen when I was ready to cook it.

What exactly is that defrosting gadget you have? I've never seen one before and I am intrigued.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I completely agree with everything you have said. I let stuff thaw at room temp all the time. I never think far enough ahead to put it in the fridge the day before. And on the few times I've tried that, it would still be partially frozen when I was ready to cook it.

What exactly is that defrosting gadget you have? I've never seen one before and I am intrigued.
I guess it's called a "defrosting tray" or something like that. I didn't buy it, but if you google that you'll get plenty of relevant hits.

Amazon.com: Gourmet Trends Quick & EZ Defrosting Tray: Kitchen & Dining

I use mine all the time, it greatly speeds up the process.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM

797 posts, read 1,345,326 times
I am concerned about ground meat being kept too long, however.

Sausage( which is ground meat ) loses its flavor after about 3 months.

Huge difference between the taste of sausage froze about 1 month and sausage froze over 6 months.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,892,396 times
^^I buy a quarter of beef all the time. The hamburger is always fine even after a year or two. They put it in plastic tube like packaging instead of the white butcher paper like they do the rest of the cow. Maybe that helps.
Also....I can not believe Open D isn't on here admonishing all of us who have been known to thaw meat out on the counter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink