U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,781,902 times

Advertisements

OK, i am in a bit of a dliemma. I half a half breast of chicken in the freezer in a freezer bag, and want to cook it next week. Bought and put it in the fridge last Saturday.

How long is it good to keep frozen meat like chicken (or other meat),

...and what is a good way to defrost the meat? I was thinking of taking it out of the freezer in the morning and then putting on a plate in the fridge and letting it defrost that way. I am a bit leery of putting it in a bowl of warm water or let it defrost at room temp all day.

So defrosting suggesting would be helpful too.

(this is probably a basic question, but I am sort of new to cooking)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,924,396 times
We were all new cooks at one time!.

I use the food saver freezing system and I admit I probably push the time a bit. I've frozen stuff for months - we all find surprises in our freezer from time to time. Never found anything I couldn't use,

To defrost I either put it the night before in the regular fridge part or use defrost button on my microwave. Warm water method I've only used once for a huge turkey and it didn't turn out so well.

If you are planning on doing regular food prep or have a family the Food Saver is very valuable.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx?...FQ7znAodgRYA5w

Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,604,823 times
If I'm not mistaken you can keep chicken frozen up to a year. As long as it's wrapped very well. To defrost I would put it in the fridge. I never let meats defrost at room temp all day. Well, a turkey or ham maybe but not a single piece of meat. Bacteria can grow quickly.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM

39,256 posts, read 69,748,497 times
Defrost it in the fridge. Not a big deal. If you're pressed for time, you can defrost the chicken in a pot of room-temp water, changing the water frequently as it defrosts the chicken.

I keep chicken in the freezer up to about six months, usually longer. Make sure it's wrapped tight to avoid freezer burn.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 AM

77,804 posts, read 97,883,439 times
Your first question: how long will it keep in the freezer? The answer is 1 year about. Oh, I am sure some of us have kept it longer and it won't spoil, but does lose some of its flavor..

Defrosting it is simple: just take it out of the freezer like others have said, the night before and put it on a plate, in the fridge.

keep asking questions, that is how we all learned and most of us here love to give answers, even if from time to time we don't give the right one...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM

20,090 posts, read 25,692,363 times
I never keep meats longer than 3 weeks in the freezer. I don't see the point in keeping meat in the freezer longer than that, and besides the store keeps it for me for free so If I need more meat I can drive 5 minutes and pick it up. My MIL was famous for keeping meats in the freezer over 6 months. My husband could not stand that. I'll keep soups in the freezer longer than 3 weeks but meats are eaten within the 3 week time period. It's two of us so I buy for 2 weeks and go shopping again the following week for other stuff.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM

31,190 posts, read 32,135,326 times
BTW, if you defrost in water, it should be cool/cold water.

The Big Thaw - Safe Defrosting Methods for Consumers

Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM

2,431 posts, read 5,308,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I never keep meats longer than 3 weeks in the freezer. I don't see the point in keeping meat in the freezer longer than that, and besides the store keeps it for me for free so If I need more meat I can drive 5 minutes and pick it up. My MIL was famous for keeping meats in the freezer over 6 months. My husband could not stand that. I'll keep soups in the freezer longer than 3 weeks but meats are eaten within the 3 week time period. It's two of us so I buy for 2 weeks and go shopping again the following week for other stuff.
I'll often take advantage of sales and buy a big family pack of chicken or pork chops, and freeze single/double portions. Then just take out what I need and quickly defrost it in the microwave.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:25 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,553,393 times
From my experience frozen meat usually takes about 2 full days to defrost in the refrigerator, possibly more depending on size. I have no qualms about defrosting meat at room temperature, or even eating cooked meat that has been sitting at room temperature for 6 hours. Realistically, the chances of properly cooked meat that was defrosted at room temperature causing illness are all but non-existent. And in my opinion, trying to prevent illness by creating a 100% sterile environment is like trying to make your muscles stronger by never using them. Your immune system is strengthened by fighting off pathogens, and is weakened by never being exposed to anything. Unless you're planning on becoming bubble boy, your immune system is going to have to fight things off. This is anecdotal, but the germophobes I know invariably tend to be the ones who are sick all the time.

I do take great care to avoid cross-contamination though. I won't use tongs on raw meat and then on cooked meat without washing them. I don't use leftover marinade on cooked meat unless I boil it first. I don't let raw meat leak onto vegetables in the fridge. I don't cut raw meat on a cutting board and then cut vegetables on it, and so on.

I prefer not to defrost things in cool water or the microwave though. It seems to me to reduce the quality of the meat and make it tougher or change the texture. I have one of these that I use if I need to defrost something fairly quickly:

I was very skeptical at first but it actually works very, very well. It's made some kind of highly conductive material that thaws things very quickly. Chicken tenders are completely thawed on it in under an hour. Chicken breasts in about an hour. Tilapia in about 30 minutes. I just have to set it over the sink because the water will run off of it as it defrosts things.

I like to let meat come to room temperature before cooking it. It cooks much better at room temperature than refrigerator temperature.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM

20,090 posts, read 25,692,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I'll often take advantage of sales and buy a big family pack of chicken or pork chops, and freeze single/double portions. Then just take out what I need and quickly defrost it in the microwave.
I do that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink