Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Bulk spices from the local health food store are the way to go.Buy a small amount and they are incredibly cheap and tend to be very fresh.
Dried spices are not fresh. They're dried. Once they've been dried they have already lost some of their potency, and continue to lose it over time. I had a neighbor who insisted that dillweed was a lovely silvery green - until I brought her some fresh sprigs and she discovered they're actually more of an emerald green. The only dillweed she'd ever seen came from a McCormack's jar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 AM

61,688 posts, read 87,077,794 times
What about chopping and freezing them while still fresh? Would that be a better idea than drying?
I don't dry them and prefer the freezing method.
I have few jars of frozen herbs in the freezer. It seems to me that they taste much better than dried.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Sure, they taste better than dried. No doubt about it. But they can't compare to the taste of fresh, in most cases. Flash-frozen in hermetically sealed bags will taste even better than household freezer-frozen in jars. You eliminate freezer burn that way. But most people don't keep cryo tanks in their kitchens

Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 AM

271 posts, read 600,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Dried spices are not fresh. They're dried. Once they've been dried they have already lost some of their potency, and continue to lose it over time. I had a neighbor who insisted that dillweed was a lovely silvery green - until I brought her some fresh sprigs and she discovered they're actually more of an emerald green. The only dillweed she'd ever seen came from a McCormack's jar.
You are correct about the fresh dill, there is nothing like it at all. The fragrance and taste is amazing, I use it in quite a few dishes.

I am lucky that the Indian markets near me sell a bunch for $1.00.

Dried dill does not even come close. I wouldn't waste my money buying it at all.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
It would be easy to construct a similar chart with ingredients we recognize, not to mention non-metric measurements.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
the only way I will ever use dill is fresh. Other spices it depends, but dill have to be fresh. I think though, what the poster might have meant was, the spices in bulk, though dried might last longer than what you buy in the store. I have found this to be true.. We use a Mennonite (spelling) store and their dried herbs and spices do last longer and are much cheaper.

Now, as for what is cheap for a meal: I am inclined to go with the $5 for 4 people for the entree. I like Melissa, on the food network: $10, four people: that is including the side dish and a light dessert.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I think onions, and carrots are a way to make meals stretch for cheap. And add healthy veggies as well. Eggs are always cheap. I can make an awesome fried rice, and spaghetti carbonara, that tastes like heaven.

My kids always liked spaghetti carbonara, not a diet dish though!
Pasta Carbonara I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 AM

16 posts, read 17,087 times
nice and wonderful trick

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM

6 posts, read 9,023 times
Cooking the rice on current cooker

Venkatesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink