Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,931,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
The Cafe Fleuri made a dish called Joie de Vivre.

To.Die.For.
Since "Joie de Vivre" translates to "exuberant enjoyment of life," it gives you a good idea about what eggs can be, if they're cooked correctly.

As with most of the technique threads on this forum, there is plenty of half-truth, urban legend, myth and speculation given by people who want to be helpful.

Thankfully, good information is out there -- usually in video form. There's really no excuse anymore for not knowing how to dice an onion, scramble an egg, roast a turkey or sear a steak. Google which chef is known for having the best example of a particular dish. And then google how they do it.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,767,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
...Properly cooked soft scrambled eggs are not runny, at all...
I want them RUNNY, I cook them RUNNY, I expect them RUNNY.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 PM

32,775 posts, read 36,014,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
And I can show you tons of super-renowned chefs, with plenty of awards to their names, that do it differently from how Gordon did it there. Essentially everything after that first paragraph I can agree totally with. However, my contention is with not whisking them up first ... I have worked for some great chefs, and I have read and watched top chefs ... in my opinion you whip them before they go in the pan, and many agree.
I'm not going to put whole eggs and butter lumps into a saucepan. Not going to happen. I make very good scrambled eggs. I can make firm eggs for those who like them that way.

Unfortunately, my son likes rather dry and firm, so that's what I get when he cooks breakfast for me. That doesn't happen often, so I'm not going to complain. I say, "Thank you."

Old 02-04-2016, 01:25 AM

6,208 posts, read 3,562,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm not going to put whole eggs and butter lumps into a saucepan. Not going to happen.
[Homer Simpson voice] "Mmm...butter lumps..."

Old 02-04-2016, 05:33 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
When I think of the best way to scramble eggs and what is a good, yes, soft scrambled egg I think of watching "worst cooks" on the food network a few weeks ago. The candidates were learning how to scramble an egg. Well, all these years of being a wife and mother, plus my college major was foods and nutrition and now I know how to really scramble an egg. I tried it early this week; best eggs we had ever had. No, they were not really runny, but very fluffy.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:35 AM

677 posts, read 649,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I think of the best way to scramble eggs and what is a good, yes, soft scrambled egg I think of watching "worst cooks" on the food network a few weeks ago. The candidates were learning how to scramble an egg. Well, all these years of being a wife and mother, plus my college major was foods and nutrition and now I know how to really scramble an egg. I tried it early this week; best eggs we had ever had. No, they were not really runny, but very fluffy.
If you leave them a little soft, it will ramp it up even better.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
If you leave them a little soft, it will ramp it up even better.
Thanks. I will add, I did make them soft, just not runny. We just had them a few minutes ago with cheese on top; yum, yum.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,724,902 times
I'd say they're the way I don't like mine. I like mine dry.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:52 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,969,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
He also breaks them directly into the pan as oppose to whisking in a separate bowl them pouring that into the pan.
I used to make the mistake of whisking everything together in a bowl (eggs, milk, salt & pepper) before pouring into a hot pan with the butter already melted. My eggs were always hard and kind of tasteless and I never understood why.

Then, I learned from Ramsay to break down the eggs in the pan, with the unmelted butter, on low heat, and then added salt & pepper afterwards. Once I did this my eggs finally started tasting like scrambled eggs.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:47 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,488,356 times
Soft-cooked scrambled eggs are not runny or undercooked. The eggs are "scrambled" i.e., beaten in a bowl (fork or whisk), not cracked into & scrambled in a hot pan. After they're thoroughly beaten (can't differentiate yolk from white), a bit of liquid can be added to make the eggs fluffy...milk, cream, evap milk, even unflavored yogurt. Then, when poured into the pan, the eggs are stirred a lot during cooking so that they don't get dry or leathery, like "dry" scrambled eggs do. Oh, and add pepper during cooking, but salt after. It's scrambled eggs, not rocket science...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink