Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There is another angle on this. Society has an obligation to ensure that costs incurred onto society that are not in society's best interest long term are paid-in-full by those who benefit from such costs. We see this principle in action in cap-and-trade, fines for toxic waste dumping, etc. Currently, there are insufficient measures in place, of this sort, with regard to the food industry. CAFOs are permitted to build up massive manure lagoons, tainting water supplies with soluble nitrogen compounds and phosphorus, as well as having other environmental and health impacts. If these operations were made to pay all the costs to society that their modern methods incur, "natural foods" (such as meat grown on grass farms instead of CAFOs) would be the choice of everyone, because foods produced using modern methods are just another way society is mortgaging our children's future by allowing industry to operate in a damaging manner without paying the costs of that damage.

For more information on the example I provided, read "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Sounds to me like just another flimsy "rationale" for legislating one special-interest group's pet causes into the law of the land. The "diet police" were active in the Los Angeles School District last year -- with a lot of spilled ink, a lot of wasted "healthful" food, and a few snickers (pun intended) for those who didn't buy into the power-grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Sounds to me like just another flimsy "rationale" for legislating one special-interest group's pet causes into the law of the land.
It isn't. Pollution is a serious public hazard. If you don't think so, why not open your backyard to companies looking to dump nitrogen compounds and phosphorus?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
There are so many people crippled by chronic illness and obesity due to poor diet and it costs money to maintain them. Millions of people with bad backs, heart disease, and kidney failure on SSDI and using Medicaid/Medicare because of poor lifestyle choices is reason to care.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
With the massive rise in obesity I don't think most care what they eat.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
There are so many people crippled by chronic illness and obesity due to poor diet and it costs money to maintain them. Millions of people with bad backs, heart disease, and kidney failure on SSDI and using Medicaid/Medicare because of poor lifestyle choices is reason to care.
I have kidney failure and am on dialysis. I am also on SSDI and Medicare. My condition is genetic and has nothing to do with lifestyle choices. Do not lump everyone into the same category.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
I have kidney failure and am on dialysis. I am also on SSDI and Medicare. My condition is genetic and has nothing to do with lifestyle choices. Do not lump everyone into the same category.
I didn't do that and I'm not going too. There are people who never smoked and still get lung cancer anyway but the majority of cases are caused by smoking. The reality is that there would be a significant decrease in health care cost and SSDI payments if we could decrease the amount of people with chronic illnesses due to lifestyle.

Have you ever considered that people with genetic conditions like yourself would receive better services if the money didn't have to be distributed amongst so many? Someone has to work to pay the taxes that provide SSDI. The more unhealthy people around needing SSDI Medicaid/Medicare the more the money has to stretch because their isn't an unlimited supply of tax payers.

Now when the cuts come and everyone has to do with less who do you think the everyone is?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For many people, it's not a new thing.

For some people, it's just now becoming apparent that our food supply has become entirely contaminated by chemicals, additives, preservatives, hormones, etc...used with nearly reckless abandon.

Information is more easily acquired and disseminated with the advent of the internet. I think people are taking the opportunity to learn about a lot of things.
Exactly. I think more people care about food us lite than before. Since it is readily apparent that we aren't very sure what is in the food and what the long term impact may be. Before let's say about 1950, the advent of ridiculously processed food, the only thing you had to worry about was access to food.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Because it directly impacts your health and well being.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbrepasser View Post
Our ancestors have lived for millions of years eating proteins and carbohydrates mainly from meat, grains, and fruits, yet I they were pretty healthy.

I grew up eating steak Monday-Thursday in the 60s and I'm still alive. There are millions of starving African children and all people complain that they eat ramen noodles most of the time? This country has strange priorities.....
People are not nearly as active these days and looking for a way to be so-called healthy, to offset sitting in front of TV's and computers. IMHO, the eating healthy thing is one big snake oil scam. I ride a bike to work and do other sports all the time. I eat simple foods, not frankinfood. Oh, and that includes butter and eggs whenever I want.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:24 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I didn't do that and I'm not going too. There are people who never smoked and still get lung cancer anyway but the majority of cases are caused by smoking. The reality is that there would be a significant decrease in health care cost and SSDI payments if we could decrease the amount of people with chronic illnesses due to lifestyle.

Have you ever considered that people with genetic conditions like yourself would receive better services if the money didn't have to be distributed amongst so many? Someone has to work to pay the taxes that provide SSDI. The more unhealthy people around needing SSDI Medicaid/Medicare the more the money has to stretch because their isn't an unlimited supply of tax payers.

Now when the cuts come and everyone has to do with less who do you think the everyone is?
Hear, Hear, Hear!

We are not the absolute master of our destiny, but we do have a good deal of latitude in influencing how things play out. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there so secure in their self-righteousness, and so obsessed with security that they're willing to surrender more of everybody's freedom to a bureaucratic nanny-state. I'll pass, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink