U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 8,745,562 times
Reputation: 8281

Advertisements

Rich Products Corp. has recalled 3 million pounds of frozen pizza, mozzarella bites, Philly cheese steaks, chicken quesadillas and other snacks, due to possible E. coli contamination.

Article here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: On the East Coast
51,696 posts, read 14,875,083 times
Reputation: 80913
Thanks for sharing this news with us,CheyDee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM
 
18,842 posts, read 35,632,533 times
Reputation: 26384
What is scary about this, many of us could get E. coli and shrug it off as flu or something until it is too late. Kids and seniors could die.

I have pretty much stopped eating processed foods. This is one reason why.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,251 posts, read 41,184,624 times
Reputation: 20198
According to their website, they voluntarily recalled all the products made in one plant in Georgia, after a single illness was confirmed that was linked to a single product (quesadillas) made in that plant.

They haven't been able to determine yet what exactly caused the illness, but the link, which shows correlation but not causation, was enough to convince them to pull the stock and announce the national recall. They have no additional known cases of any illness of any kind linked to any of their products. Just that one isolated incident with a single customer consuming food from a single package.

Think about that for a moment - if that package was consumed at a party, and only one person got sick...then Farm Rich is taking a pretty ultra-conservative stance on this to protect their label and to prevent anyone else from even -possibly- getting sick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31 AM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 8,745,562 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
According to their website, they voluntarily recalled all the products made in one plant in Georgia, after a single illness was confirmed that was linked to a single product (quesadillas) made in that plant.

They haven't been able to determine yet what exactly caused the illness, but the link, which shows correlation but not causation, was enough to convince them to pull the stock and announce the national recall. They have no additional known cases of any illness of any kind linked to any of their products. Just that one isolated incident with a single customer consuming food from a single package.

Think about that for a moment - if that package was consumed at a party, and only one person got sick...then Farm Rich is taking a pretty ultra-conservative stance on this to protect their label and to prevent anyone else from even -possibly- getting sick.
The Food, Safety & Inspection Service (FSIS) was told of a 24 case outbreak of E. coli on March 19th, including 7 hospitalized cases with kidney failure. They have been reported in MI, MS, NY, OH, PA, VA & TX.

I'm glad Rich is protecting their name, as well as the consumers, by recalling all those products.

An itemized list of recalled products is here. (Note: Schwan's mini meatball sandwiches is included in the recall.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 10:55 AM
 
15,868 posts, read 27,906,441 times
Reputation: 24021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is scary about this, many of us could get E. coli and shrug it off as flu or something until it is too late. Kids and seniors could die.

I have pretty much stopped eating processed foods. This is one reason why.


Do realize that you have had very similar issues with fresh produce - cantaloupes, cilantro, etc.

I guess that the only way to prevent this is to stop eating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Penna
726 posts, read 1,156,550 times
Reputation: 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Do realize that you have had very similar issues with fresh produce - cantaloupes, cilantro, etc.

I guess that the only way to prevent this is to stop eating.
Washing your Fruit & Veg with citric acid/H2o solution will not only kill e-coli, it removed pesticides and prolongs the shelf life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
 
15,868 posts, read 27,906,441 times
Reputation: 24021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Washing your Fruit & Veg with citric acid/H2o solution will not only kill e-coli, it removed pesticides and prolongs the shelf life.
So would irradiation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,251 posts, read 41,184,624 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
The Food, Safety & Inspection Service (FSIS) was told of a 24 case outbreak of E. coli on March 19th, including 7 hospitalized cases with kidney failure. They have been reported in MI, MS, NY, OH, PA, VA & TX.

I'm glad Rich is protecting their name, as well as the consumers, by recalling all those products.

An itemized list of recalled products is here. (Note: Schwan's mini meatball sandwiches is included in the recall.)
I don't accept third-party "stories" and prefer to go right to the source. There are two sources here: the FSIS recall site, and Farm Rich foods.

FSIS says there were 24 cases reported. FSIS announced that products consumed by two of those cases, were confirmed to have been tainted with e.coli.

One of those cases was confirmed after Farm Rich had already pulled products off the shelves in their earlier recall. The current recall is an extention of the previous one, which now adds more products and provides more current data that was collected post-recall in March (which was only a week ago, don't forget).

I get that recalls and e.coli are a serious thing, and there are hospitalizations and much illness and risk involved. But I also feel it's important to not create a panic or a boycott or unneccessary anger and conspiracy against the "evil manufacturers."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 8,745,562 times
Reputation: 8281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't accept third-party "stories" and prefer to go right to the source. There are two sources here: the FSIS recall site, and Farm Rich foods.

FSIS says there were 24 cases reported. FSIS announced that products consumed by two of those cases, were confirmed to have been tainted with e.coli.

One of those cases was confirmed after Farm Rich had already pulled products off the shelves in their earlier recall. The current recall is an extention of the previous one, which now adds more products and provides more current data that was collected post-recall in March (which was only a week ago, don't forget).

I get that recalls and e.coli are a serious thing, and there are hospitalizations and much illness and risk involved. But I also feel it's important to not create a panic or a boycott or unneccessary anger and conspiracy against the "evil manufacturers."
The FSIS site confirms exactly what the "stories" said. It also states that of the 24 reported cases, 2 have been confirmed to be contaminated. It doesn't state that the other 22 cases were erroneous; rather, it states that testing is ongoing. As of their latest update, April 4th, they still list this as a Class I Recall, which means "Health Risk: High".

Please direct me to the posts which suggested a panic, boycott, unnecessary anger, conspiracy against, or "evil manufacturers", because I don't see it here. What I wrote was quite contrary, "I'm glad Rich is protecting their name, as well as the consumers, by recalling all those products."

I posted the information and links here more or less as a public service announcement and venue for intelligent conversation, for which I have been thanked both on this thread and privately. Whether you personally choose to honor the recall or eat any of the foods specified is entirely up to you, as it is to each of us. I have no wish to argue with you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top