Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times

Advertisements

My head tells me no they are not.

I'm taking about "premium" brands like Odwalla or Naked Juice; not much in the ingredient list except fruit and water.
Odwalla Good Products - Juices, Fruit Smoothies, Protein Bars & Super Foods
They tend to have label blurbs like "This bottle contains two cups of strawberries, a cup of blueberries and three bananas."
Obviously, no fiber, and obviously (I think) that is marketing blether to appeal to people who don't eat a ton of fruit but feel they should.

I am asking this because I don't eat a ton of fruit, but feel I should.
However, I eat a stupid high amount of vegetables and legumes, way more than the typical American. I just rarely seem to get around to eating fruit and berries.

Given that I eat lots and lots of lentils, beans and fresh vegetables, should I even concern myself about fruit and berry intake?
Are silly-expensive fruit juices a reasonable substitute assuming the answer to the aforementioned is yes and I eat lots of fiber already?
Are such products a total rip-off?*

*Maybe yes and I do understand that a $200 juicer and 20 lbs of carrots or blueberries etc would in the long run be a cheaper way to do whole juicing. But I'm just not that dedicated, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Your head is 100% correct .

Nothing compares to the real thing (real fruit). If you don't like fruit don't try to force yourself to eat it. You've made it this far without eating a lot of it, so why try fixing something that's not even broken ?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I disagree, I think Odwalla is a great way to get fruits and veggies if you don't eat them normally.

I usually buy 4 different ones each shopping trip and add them to my smoothies. I don't buy a lot of fruit.... more of a veggie eater so I use those to supplement.

Of course, I also buy the baby food in squeeze packets for on the go meals. Mixtures like spinach/pear, and apple/sweet potato. 100% natural, no fillers and 100 calories.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I disagree, I think Odwalla is a great way to get fruits and veggies if you don't eat them normally.

I usually buy 4 different ones each shopping trip and add them to my smoothies. I don't buy a lot of fruit.... more of a veggie eater so I use those to supplement.

Of course, I also buy the baby food in squeeze packets for on the go meals. Mixtures like spinach/pear, and apple/sweet potato. 100% natural, no fillers and 100 calories.
You're admitting this publicly? You totally just killed it for me...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
You're admitting this publicly? You totally just killed it for me...
ROFL. How do you think I keep being a size 4?!!

Funny thing, my husband's 11 year old loves junk food, and I've been slowly getting him to enjoy healthy stuff.... he LOVES the squeeze packets of baby food. Great for going to beach, hiking, fishing and stuff.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
ROFL. How do you think I keep being a size 4?!!

Funny thing, my husband's 11 year old loves junk food, and I've been slowly getting him to enjoy healthy stuff.... he LOVES the squeeze packets of baby food. Great for going to beach, hiking, fishing and stuff.
Would you like a pacifier to go along with Gerber mush in a packet? haha

Size 4? The more I get to know about you, the more I like... By all means, do what's necessary to maintain that figure.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Would you like a pacifier to go along with Gerber mush in a packet? haha

Size 4? The more I get to know about you, the more I like... By all means, do what's necessary to maintain that figure.
My husband provides the pacifier. Just can't really use that in public. /rofl

I'm stopping now before I have to give myself an infraction. That would be embarrassing.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
Fruit juices are definitely better for you than soda pop. But pasteurization changes the structure of the sugars from beneficial to bad. And many micronutrients/phytochemicals do not survive very well, the things that are done to stabilize the juices, to give them a shelf life.

A lot of nutrition remains, though: way more than the nutrition in processed cereals and frozen pizzas. So, I'd call the fancy fruit drinks 'relatively healthy'.

At breakfast, while DH is having his bunch of blanched broccoli, I'm generally having a box of blueberries I rinsed under the Insta-hot at the sink. I dice up a banana to sweeten the berries, and use either unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened soy milk. That's pretty easy. And when the farmers' markets have raspberries, I substitute those for blueberries.

We do benefit from the pigments in berries: particularly where eyesight is concerned. Otherwise, it sounds like you have an excellent diet. The vegetables are probably more important. You shouldn't worry too much.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I'm taking about "premium" brands like Odwalla or Naked Juice; not much in the ingredient list except fruit and water.
Odwalla Good Products - Juices, Fruit Smoothies, Protein Bars & Super Foods
They tend to have label blurbs like "This bottle contains two cups of strawberries, a cup of blueberries and three bananas."
Obviously, no fiber, and obviously (I think) that is marketing blether to appeal to people who don't eat a ton of fruit but feel they should.

I am asking this because I don't eat a ton of fruit, but feel I should.
However, I eat a stupid high amount of vegetables and legumes, way more than the typical American. I just rarely seem to get around to eating fruit and berries.

Given that I eat lots and lots of lentils, beans and fresh vegetables, should I even concern myself about fruit and berry intake?
Are silly-expensive fruit juices a reasonable substitute assuming the answer to the aforementioned is yes and I eat lots of fiber already?
Are such products a total rip-off?*

*Maybe yes and I do understand that a $200 juicer and 20 lbs of carrots or blueberries etc would in the long run be a cheaper way to do whole juicing. But I'm just not that dedicated, to be honest.
I love the Naked drinks, its a new favorite for me.
I don't think they're all that expensive either- they're less than a coffee at Starbuck's

Naked drinks are perfect for someone who doesn't eat fruits often so I don't consider them to be a rip off....

Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
How much of the natural fibre is left in the fruity drinks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink