Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times

Advertisements

What are your pet peeves when viewing restaurant menus? Spelling? Descriptors? Lies? Dirty menus? No prices? Anything...what bugs you when looking at a menu?

One thing that bothers me is the use of the term "Kobe" beef. I just saw it last night on a menu...and it was the ubiquitous "Kobe Beef Sliders".

Kobe was never exported from Japan until 2012...and only three countries are even importing it. In 2012 and so far in 2013 the United States has imported eight (8) Kobe beef carcases. That isn't much! LoL

All these years that you have seen Kobe on menus (or in butcher shops) has been a total lie.

So what's your "beef"? LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Small print
Dirtyness
Too many items on a menu makes me think that everything will be mediocre.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I hate it when the size of the menu is too large. If you are visiting for the first or even second time it may take a while to become familiar with it. They drop the menu and come back in 3 minutes for your order. I also hate being rushed.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Sticky menus! When the hostess or host seats you and then hands out sticky menus it makes us wonder what else in the restaurant hasn't been cleaned.

Doesn't she notice when she hands the menus out that they are sticky or dirty??

How long does it take to spray some cleaner on the menus and wipe them? I think the menus should be cleaned every time the table is cleaned.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I also don't like sticky menus--makes we wonder where everyone's hands have been. What I really dislike is a menu so large that I really don't want to even try to read it. So I don't read it and stick to something very ordinary. Then I read that I should have tried something that I didn't see on the menu. I agree with Robert Irvine--keep it simple.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Sticky, dirty menus make me question how clean the silverware is, as those who handle the menus usually also roll the silverware.

Another thing that bothers me about menus is when there are too many kinds of options. Recently, we stopped in a new diner in our area that appears to be very popular. The menu had choices ranging from Soul Food, to Italian, to German, to Mexican, to typical American choices. Each person in our party ordered something from a different area of the menu so we could share. Frankly, it was all lacking in quality.

I think sometimes you can try to do too many dishes and foul up the quality of the good stuff.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
[quote=cape_fisherman;29209524

One thing that bothers me is the use of the term "Kobe" beef. ? LoL[/quote]

The Wagyu cattle that produce the Kobe beef have been imported into the USA decades ago. There are now enough of those cattle that the meat is being marketed as a premium product.

So, no, you are not going to be served meat from Japan, but you will be served American raised Kobe beef.

Ditto on the dirty menu. What else in the restaurant is not clean?

I dislike it when there are no prices, but at least I can ask the server what the price is. I would rather not, but it can be done.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:08 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
In fact, if I have never been into a restaurant before, I appreciate it when the menu s posted outside so I can see if they even offer anything I am interested in. It's embarrassing to sit down and then find there is nothing to order.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Appetizers and salads that cost as much as entrees.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In fact, if I have never been into a restaurant before, I appreciate it when the menu s posted outside so I can see if they even offer anything I am interested in. It's embarrassing to sit down and then find there is nothing to order.
I used to be like that - big time picky eater. I've since grown out of it but I always accepted that it was my problem I was a picky eater, not the restaurant's.

Dirty menus is always gross. Too many options can be overwhelming. One restaurant I love but their menus are in a big, awkward binder - it looks nice (not exactly a binder from Staples) but it's heavy and it clangs all over the plates and silverware.

My greater pet peeve is forks with bent prongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink