Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times

Advertisements

As a primer, I'll say that I've been cooking with cast iron for 2-yrs now, have read every seasoning site out there, have tried varying methods of seasoning & have asked q's of the cooks/chefs here in the past... so, I think my problem isn't improper seasoning. I use different grease to season... lard works best, if I can stomach the nasty odor. When not using that, I use veg shortening. Sometimes, if frying eggs, I just take the stick of butter & run it across a hot pan so it won't stick. I coat the pots/pans with grease almost every time I've cleaned the pot after cooking.

Okay, now the problem... I slow cook in the oven overnight in my Dutch oven (225-300 degrees) about once every 2-wks. The only meals I've made in that pot are roast beef or chicken with potatoes/onions/carrots/celery & seasonings. About once in every 4 mos, the entire meal is permeated with the taste of iron to the point that it's almost inedible, however, it's only happened when I've cooked a roast beef.

I always add water to the pot with bouillon before loading it with meat/vegs so the food doesn't stick & burn, which has happened on rare occasion. Is it the water which is causing the problem because the temp is too low & it's dissolving the pot's seasonings? Or, is it the water in combination with the beef that's causing some reaction? Why would this only happen with beef, or is that simply a coincidence? Any ideas?

I love slow cooked meals, especially for breakfast (yep, I'm a weirdo & eat backwards... dinner for breakfast & breakfast foods for dinner... it's a cultural thing in my family ) & I give a thermos to the SO to take to work. I'd love to make a roast again, but it irks me that 1 in 4 or 5 roasts has a metallic taste to it to the point where I won't eat it & the SO, who has a stronger stomach & is less fussy than I, will eat it for days before asking that I not make roast for awhile. Poor lad, what he puts up with!

I have cooked the last few roasts at 350 or higher, but the tenderness just isn't the same. I'd like to slow cook a roast this week... what am I doing wrong & how can I prevent cooking a hunk of iron-tasting beef?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I can't answer your question because I've never slow roasted in regular cast iron. I have slow roasted, braised in stainless steel and enamel coated cast iron. Maybe you should use another pot or pan.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Your tasting the extra iron transferred to the pot roast.

As to why-there could be a variety of issues including your sense of smell.

Example I've been tasting metal for the last week because my lymph nodes are swollen due to seasonal allergies.

Something could be stripping the polymeric coating during the cooking process thus increasing the iron transfer.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Buy a new pot and be done with it!
I would never allow anyone at my table to eat metallic-tasting food...
enamel-coated cast iron is great

Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,886,701 times
don't know either, but why don't you line it with foil when you want to cook something this way?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
Change over to an enameled cast iron pot, much easier to clean and no seasoning involved.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Could be a med you take causing this taste. Just a thought. If you're not taking any meds then I'm not sure.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
...Something could be stripping the polymeric coating during the cooking process thus increasing the iron transfer.
Cast iron cookware isn't polymer-coated - it's carbon-coated during the seasoning process and extended use, like a wok. Cast iron releases the "iron taste" into food when it has oxidized - maybe some of the surfaces that are not properly seasoned are oxidizing during the cooking process.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
As a primer, I'll say that I've been cooking with cast iron for 2-yrs now, have read every seasoning site out there, have tried varying methods of seasoning & have asked q's of the cooks/chefs here in the past... so, I think my problem isn't improper seasoning. I use different grease to season... lard works best, if I can stomach the nasty odor. When not using that, I use veg shortening. Sometimes, if frying eggs, I just take the stick of butter & run it across a hot pan so it won't stick. I coat the pots/pans with grease almost every time I've cleaned the pot after cooking.

Okay, now the problem... I slow cook in the oven overnight in my Dutch oven (225-300 degrees) about once every 2-wks. The only meals I've made in that pot are roast beef or chicken with potatoes/onions/carrots/celery & seasonings. About once in every 4 mos, the entire meal is permeated with the taste of iron to the point that it's almost inedible, however, it's only happened when I've cooked a roast beef.

I always add water to the pot with bouillon before loading it with meat/vegs so the food doesn't stick & burn, which has happened on rare occasion. Is it the water which is causing the problem because the temp is too low & it's dissolving the pot's seasonings? Or, is it the water in combination with the beef that's causing some reaction? Why would this only happen with beef, or is that simply a coincidence? Any ideas?

I love slow cooked meals, especially for breakfast (yep, I'm a weirdo & eat backwards... dinner for breakfast & breakfast foods for dinner... it's a cultural thing in my family ) & I give a thermos to the SO to take to work. I'd love to make a roast again, but it irks me that 1 in 4 or 5 roasts has a metallic taste to it to the point where I won't eat it & the SO, who has a stronger stomach & is less fussy than I, will eat it for days before asking that I not make roast for awhile. Poor lad, what he puts up with!

I have cooked the last few roasts at 350 or higher, but the tenderness just isn't the same. I'd like to slow cook a roast this week... what am I doing wrong & how can I prevent cooking a hunk of iron-tasting beef?

Thanks very much!
I didn't think you are supposed to "clean" a cast iron pan with soap?????? One cured it instead in a low oven and then used salt to scrub it, and again heat in the oven to finnish... Then move onto where you add water, or broth. I think you should have the pot good and hot before adding anything, this way it doesn't stick, but instead of water I'd spry with a "pam" like substance , then add "whatever".
I use the coated cast iron now as well, it is just much less complicated. Cast iron is super for camping out though, you can't burn the pan.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't answer your question because I've never slow roasted in regular cast iron. I have slow roasted, braised in stainless steel and enamel coated cast iron. Maybe you should use another pot or pan.
Nope. Want to use the iron pots/pans because I'm a lifelong borderline anemic & thought the iron would help. So far, I'm not testing anemic, so it's working. Cooking is fine most of the time... 1 in 6 or so (roasts only) have the iron taste, so there's an easy solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink