Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

with some rare exceptions, you cant eat a steaming bowl of ambiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
The most impressive restaurant I've ever been in is Comander's Palace in NOLA. You are greeted by the staff, from the host to the busboy, as you are seated at the table. The food is excellent.

Cannot disagree more. This is my textbook "This is what a good restaurant should not be" example. Never had worse executions of classic foods in my life. A served almost flipped my table because he wasn't looking. I was touched inappropriately by a waitress. They put a chef's hat on me because it was my birthday. (I'm a full grown woman) I have an uncle who was an executive chef there, so I know that it's gone downhill since he ran the kitchen. At that price I expected some amount of professionalism and refinement. Great desserts though.

I'm a foodie, gourmet home cook, professional chef, amateur sommelier, and a fat kid when it comes to food. I tell people this about fancy restaurants- if you're paying out the nose, it's generally gonna suck. (exceptions- steak and lobster)

Do you know how much it costs to make a heaping portion of moules frites? Did you know the wine used to make beurre blanc costs about $6 a gallon? Osso bucco costs about $9 if it's a hearty portion..what exactly are you paying for?

Service, ambience, snot. Snot, snot, snot. I was taken to a tasting menu for Valentine's Day- $150 a person with wine pairings. I was paying for the chair, my triangular plates, and imported water. Thankfully the waiter was understanding that I wanted less pomp, so it wasn't a total loss.

Stick to bistros. I'll pay $22 for a huge portion of bison shortribs, slow marinated and served with some amazing quinoa. Food is about eating, not tasting. I don't care what anyone says, if your expensive tasting menu leaves you hungry, it's not good food. After all, what good is a tasting menu you if have to supplement it with Taco Bell. (because that's all you can afford afterwards)

My best meal in France was flammenkuche in a wine cellar ($10US including wine). My best meal in Germany was a bratwurst from a roadside stand ($2US). My best meal in New Orleans was $2/lb boiled crawfish from a converted old Burger King (my best meal to date- Capt Sal's on Chef Manteur). My best meal in London..didn't happen.

I used to think expensive meant it had to be good. But I've never been to a place where that held true.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
My hubby loves eating at the Morton's or Capital Grill and there is a local place here in Phoenix that's been here for over 50 years called Durant's. We took our son for his 16th birthday at the Morton's and he just loved it. I think it's so worth it for the foods, service, experience,etc. We never found those places snobby, service is very personal and friendly. On the other hand, we do not care for Ruth's Chris at all. They are way over rated.

Other times I'm happy having a bowl of noodle soup at local mom and pop Vietnamese restaurant or having a good cheese burger at Carl's Jrs.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
If you are lucky enough to know of a place where the chef really loves his/her work and ingredients, and has the knowledge and skill to make the very best of them, then it is worth the occasional splurge.

St John's (in London) is probably the best example of this that I have ever seen, or tasted - but it is all a matter of taste.

I'd like to try the rest of the top 50 now, please

World's 50 Best Restaurants

Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
A new restaurant opened up in town and everyone was talking about it. So after much discussion my wife and I decided to try it. A three course meal costs about $80. The servings were small, food tasty but service was snotty and slow. I must have waited for 45 minutes for my main course. When I complained they said good food takes time.

I left feeling cheated and wondered why anyone goes to a fancy restaurant unless their company is paying for the food as part of an expense account. How do you feel about eating at fancy expensive French restaurants?
I learned a long time ago that I don't like the food they serve in places like that so I never go. I like plain cooking and food that is well done. It only took one taste of rare duck to make me realize that they don't have a clue.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Never been satisfied from an expensive meal
Me neither.

I think that high prices set-up people for disappointment. At restaurants where the meal was expensive (relatively speaking I suppose), I've never had customer service that made me feel really welcome, never had a meal that made me say, "Wow!!" and never have been impressed by the ambiance. One of the things that bugs me the most is the attitude of the restaurant staff who think they're serving me gold. I laugh when they call themselves an upscale restaurant...

The best, ABSOLUTELY BEST, meal I ever had, and continue to have, is a local pho restaurant that has lackluster customer service, cheap furnishings, and is in a strip mall. But the pho is fantastic. A bowl is only around $6.00 and is about 9 inches across and about 4 inches deep (so you get a lot); I would gladly pay twice that. I go at least 2 or 3 times a month .

Old 12-07-2008, 07:25 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
We've definitely had a wow meal. It was at Emerils restaurant in the Venetian Hotel in Vegas-Delmonico's. The service, ambiance and food was well worth the $150 any day. We love our RC and go at least 2 times or more a month.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I'm pleased as punch to eat cheese and crackers at home. I never go out to eat. It's always too expensive, and I work too hard for my money. Groceries are hard enough to afford these days.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM

200 posts, read 979,308 times
Sushi would be the only splurge we have, we love sushi. Every time we go out, I spend 75+. We go out to Sushi about once a week.

Everything else I can pretty much cook and enjoy more when I make it. I consider myself a pretty decent cook.

Expensive restaurants aren't worth all the hype, been to places where the steaks were 60+ and they over cooked, under flavored, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink