Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,022,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
You tipped her for bad service ??
lol...you missed it Song....they tipped 20% of Free......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM

746 posts, read 3,493,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I have noticed that the "do you want change" is happening more and more.. I do not like that.. They should "be back with your change" and let you decide how much. Generally when they ask if I want my change, I will take a bit away from their tip. People who know me know that I tip well, so if I don't leave a good tip or take some away from the tip, they know that something isn't right. I have waited tables before and even when I was told to "keep the change" I had a hard time doing that. I do not understand why the "do you want your change" is becoming customary.
We may not be intimidated by that question, but I bet a lot of people say "keep the change" rather than appear cheap.

I feel it is my role to decide the tip, so that question would get the tip dropped in half, and I would tell the waitperson why as well. A poor tip can be more effective with a reason why. Thaat way they can't call me cheap.

A few weeks ago I was in a cafe and said thanks to the waiter, and he replies: "Whatever." I went back to the table and took the tip back. Every penny of it.

I won't won't put up with indifference.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,029,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I have waited tables before and even when I was told to "keep the change" I had a hard time doing that. I do not understand why the "do you want your change" is becoming customary.
It's because the majority of people waiting tables get paid very poorly and feel like they have the right to whatever they can get from you as the diner.

When I did wait (at a local hotel) the girl training me was vicious when she didn't see the tip forthcoming and basically bit my head off for being nice to the guy paying the bill for the 'party.' She did all but 'service him' to get the money (sorry to be graphic). After he tipped her, all the sunshine poured out of her and she was nice again to me.

What a horrible way to make a living.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:02 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,997,635 times
I have a really nice breakfast/lunch place around the corner from me. Good food and reasonable prices. I would go there often and invite friernds to go with me. One Saturday, I ordered breakfast - me only. I got my tomato juice quick, but 45 minutes after I ordered, I ask the server what's taking so long. She said "I'm really busy with a party of 10". I told her to cancel my order and I walked up the the cashier to pay for my TJ, and the manager came up to me and said the TJ was on the house. I've never been back since.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,233,038 times
Does anyone else find it a little disturbing getting your dinner salad at the same time you are served your dinner? This really bothers my husband and myself. I just don't think the restaurants train their waitresses properly nowdays.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 AM

859 posts, read 2,143,525 times
we had a few one them

1: at burger king, they dropped out ticket... and told us what we orderd was " senior meal for 2" Ummmm at the time I was 33 and had 3 kids with me .... This *lady * argued with me for 10 minutes, I finally told her just give me back my money! And IF you look on the ground right there I BET thats our ticket.. ........... she looks and YUP its out ticket. She then sais, well I be making youre order. I told her No ty I just want my Money ( this was after being and waitin for 20minutes!!!) And she told me No we cant do that. I told her well ok then I call the Police..

She gave me back my Money never went there again! They also closed this place down 6 months later.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM

204 posts, read 772,714 times
We were on a road trip and saw a place "Grandma's Home Cooking" in a small town-WELL-this Grandma was the meanest, nastiest person ever (it was her place).. We ordered 2 Pepsi's-she brings out 2 glasses and 2 large bottles of Pepsi-we said "gee being the bottle is so big we'll share"-she said 'you'll WHAT!!??-now I have to bring it back!" There were a total of 6 people in the place-someone wanted to pay their check and she yelled "I'm only one person and I'm busy you can wait". By this time my husband and I are just about hysterical laughing and looking at the door for an escape but afraid she'd come after us with a wooden spoon.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,022,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
We were on a road trip and saw a place "Grandma's Home Cooking" in a small town-WELL-this Grandma was the meanest, nastiest person ever (it was her place).. We ordered 2 Pepsi's-she brings out 2 glasses and 2 large bottles of Pepsi-we said "gee being the bottle is so big we'll share"-she said 'you'll WHAT!!??-now I have to bring it back!" There were a total of 6 people in the place-someone wanted to pay their check and she yelled "I'm only one person and I'm busy you can wait". By this time my husband and I are just about hysterical laughing and looking at the door for an escape but afraid she'd come after us with a wooden spoon.
hmmmm sounds just like my grandma to me

Old 11-04-2007, 02:39 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,233,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judogl44 View Post
Yeah, I hear you! We went to a really nice German restaurant in Las Vegas. Our waitress came up to us----a "very" large girl, not at all fat but LARGE/STRONG. Her name was Helga. She had a very stern look and basically told us what we should have and no questons asked!! We had to giggle because the food was great but that waitress wasn't going to put up with anything from anyone. Her service was really good but I wouldn't have wanted to meet up with her in a dark alley!!

Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,989,301 times
I've had two "fun" experiences with waiters in upper scale restaurants. The first was when 4 of my friends and I were seated at our table, going over the menu. We were all dressed in suits because that's the sort of place it was. A passing waiter dumped a carafe of wine off of his tray onto the suit jacket of my one friend. The waiter sort of half heartedly wiped at his coat with a napkin and then said "I'm sure it won't stain...besides it looks like wash and wear anyways" and walked away. Well the suit was anything but wash and wear. I got up and talked to the hostess and manager who couldn't have been more apologetic and offered to pay for dry cleaning and comped my friend's meal. The offending waiter stared daggers at us until we left.

The second time was again with a larger group of friends, around 10 of us. We had a snob of a waiter who called himself "Ro-bear" but you know damn good an well it was just plain Robert. In any event, between drinks and food the bill was sizable. We all started to throw cash in, quite a bit more then the total of the bill because some of the guys were trying to break larger bills, etc. So Ro-bear swung by to pick it up. Well we waited, and waited, and waited for our change to come back so we could leave an appropriate tip. Long story short, never saw Ro-bear again or our change. We mentioned it to the manager on the way out and he simply shrugged. Needless to say, never went back to that restaurant and never recommended it to anyone else either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink