Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay, they were on sale and I bought into the big size, economy package. We find them too dry (not enough fat) to use as we would regular pork chops. We've been using them up by cutting them in half, pounding them down thin and using them as cutlets. I used them once in a stir fry.

Any other ideas? I've still got a lot of these things, and I'm getting sick of the panko cutlets, pork Marsala, Parmesan pork cutlets, etc.
Three more:

Wienerschnitzel and German Potato Salad

Carnitas on flour tortillas with Beans and Rice

You could bake them with that Stovetop Stuffing Mix for Pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 03:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
...Wienerschnitzel and German Potato Salad...
To be called Wiener Schnitzel it has to be made with veal. Pork schnitzel is Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein, Schnitzel nach Wiener Art, or most-commonly Schnitzel Wiener Art. This may seem a bit picky but Wiener Schnitzel is considered the national dish of Austria and is strictly defined as being made with escalope of veal.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 05-08-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Keep them their thickness - pepper both sides, heat in a non-stick skillet 3-4 mins. on one side until brown, flip, brown that side, flip again and cover w/skillet lid - another 3 mins. or so they are done! Remove the chops, mix some coarse grain mustard, a tsp. of cider vinegar and 1/4-1/2 cup of fruit jam/preserves (orange marmalade, cherry preserves, apricot, plum) - heat that a bit in the skillet and pour over the chops - YUMMY.

Same cook time (they don't get tough, promise and they do get cooked) - some peanut satay as dip.

I also have a super good recipe for butterflied sesame chops if you want.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
To be called Wiener Schnitzel it has to be made with veal. Pork schnitzel is Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein, Schnitzel nach Wiener Art, or most-commonly Schnitzel Wiener Art. This may seem a bit picky but Wiener Schnitzel is considered the national dish of Austria and is strictly defined as being made with escalope of veal.

No, no. Not at all. Enlighten me. I appreciate the clarification.

I've dined at a couple of German restaurants and had to rely completely on my friend to order for me. But I had a nice time. I'm not sure if they served the dish with pork or veal, but it was very good.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
I make a dish of boneless pork chops, cubed butternut squash (from my garden), and sliced golden delicious apples. I dredge the pork chops in flour, fry them in oil, then add water, balsamic vinegar, water, sugar to taste, and the apples and squash, and simmer until tender. Delicious!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Cut into strips.
Take a peeler and peel some carrots into thin shreds.
Cut up an onion.
All in a pan with some oil and heat.
add sazon Goya.. cook till all it hot and cooked. softened/cooked to your taste.
Over rice
Done.

That also works in a taco, no rice. Or in a sandwich. Better in a burrito shell. Though. You can also add rice to that taco or burrito. And some more burrito stuff. OR just burrito stuff. Or just eat it as a pork/carrot/onion combo.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
I make this about once a week, and we love it. This is for two pork chops.

You’ll need:

Pork chops (duh)
Salted butter, 1-2tbsps depending on your need for decadence
Oil of your choice, enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pan (I use canola)
1 cup chicken broth (I use homemade, but if you don’t, get the lowest sodium one you can find – unsalted chicken stock works too.)
1 cup white wine (I use Chardonnay, because I always have it around on account of being a lush. You could probably sub in something non-alcoholic, but please don’t ask me what, because I have no idea.)
Lawrys seasoned salt (I know this just made a lot of people cringe – I don’t use this stuff often, but it just works here.)
Lemon pepper seasoning (Please see above.)

Combine the Lawrys and lemon pepper in a small bowl, mix together.
Grab your pork chops and slather this refined gourmet spice mixture all over them. All over.
Heat your butter and oil in any skillet you like, except ones that start with “non-stick.”
Once your butter/oil is hot (and I mean HOT), but before the butter burns, toss in your pork chops.
Let sear for a couple minutes per side, then remove the pork chops to a clean plate.
Turn down the heat to medium/medium low depending on your stove.
In the same skillet, put in the wine – don’t be scared by the smoke and sizzling noises. Your eyebrows won’t burn off, promise.
(Disclaimer: I’m not responsible in case they do burn off. Cook with alcohol at your own risk. I’m just saying that I’ve done it tons of times and still have both eyebrows present and accounted for.)
Let the wine reduce by about half, stirring a bit and trying to scrape up some of the black bits at the bottom of the pan.
Add the pork chops and chicken broth, turn the heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or so, until done. Serve with a drizzle of sauce over the chops.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:02 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
i throw mine in with sliced apples cored and peeled and sauerkraut and put em all in the crockpot and cook on low all day ....it smells so good and tastes really good too .

Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
.......... fresh roasted chiles are non-existent. Dried red chiles - no problem. Fresh chiles - not a probem, except Anaheims, which are what I prefer. Roasted chiles -..........!
Roast your own. On the grill, turn turn, until the skin has blackened.

Take them into the house. Wrap the hot chilies in plastic wrap, then in a cotton towel. Let them sit on the counter, wrapped, until they cool. Peel the skin off.

They smell marvelous. They also freeze well, so I make large batches and have individual servings in my freezer to use when I cook.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Roast your own. On the grill, turn turn, until the skin has blackened.

Take them into the house. Wrap the hot chilies in plastic wrap, then in a cotton towel. Let them sit on the counter, wrapped, until they cool. Peel the skin off.

They smell marvelous. They also freeze well, so I make large batches and have individual servings in my freezer to use when I cook.
Yeah, I do, except I use the convection broiler, then put them in a glass bowl covered with saran wrap to steam.

But finding Hatch or Anaheim chile's in Raleigh, NC has proven to be a challenge. And I was happier when I could just buy them by the pound already roasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink