Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,825,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG all this talk of steak is making me want to go out and buy a grill and start grilling!! I can't wait for warmer weather to show up
What does warmer weather have to do with grilling??

We've been grilling here all winter oftentimes hiding under the overhang because of the rain! Totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
What does warmer weather have to do with grilling??

We've been grilling here all winter oftentimes hiding under the overhang because of the rain! Totally worth it.
For most of us it has a lot to do with it. we do grill some in the winter, but come May and the sun shines over our yard most of us just can't get enough grilling. There is a big difference, maybe for you, who don't see the same weather patterns we do, it is different. You don't see cooking magazines pushing "great grilling" recipes in January. The same as you don't see them pushing "the top 20 cookie recipes" in the summer.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,729,724 times
Filet first choice. Flap and shoulder are my second faves. It's hard to find them but shoulder is sometimes called petite filet.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Filet first choice. Flap and shoulder are my second faves. It's hard to find them but shoulder is sometimes called petite filet.
I mentioned that one- technically its a teres major- but caller a shoulder tender, chuck fillets, chuck medallions, even saw them called chuck tenderloins....
you are right, these are great, a rare muscle thats lean and tender (from the top of a shoulder clod)

flap meat is good (bottom sirloin flap meat) these are good for beef tips, steakhouse or sirloin tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptzjM...ymj9ntDtgSfrgQ

here's a video of the shoulder tenders- you can leave them whole or slice into medallions /kabobs

the video below is of flap meat, you can leave whole, or slice into strips/tips, or marinate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck7r8...ymj9ntDtgSfrgQ

Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,729,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I mentioned that one- technically its a teres major- but caller a shoulder tender, chuck fillets, chuck medallions, even saw them called chuck tenderloins....
you are right, these are great, a rare muscle thats lean and tender (from the top of a shoulder clod)

flap meat is good (bottom sirloin flap meat) these are good for beef tips, steakhouse or sirloin tip

the video below is of flap meat, you can leave whole, or slice into strips/tips, or marin
Excellent, thank you. I've never found them in stores but a good butcher usually had them. In fact an excellent butcher introduced them to me years and years ago.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't know what you guys are all going on about! He's looking for tenderness - well then he needs to get an air-aged steak. You don't know tender till you do...

Give 'em a try
have you ever seen the air-aged steak, before they trim it??
most air-age steaks come from, aging the whole primal, whether its a shortloin (porterhouse/t-bone)

or a rib-eye, or strip,

some places will age for 2 weeks, some will age 3, or 4, weeks

Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,356,040 times
Flavor over tenderness for me, so Skirt steak medium rare (slice across the grain) followed by Ribeye medium rare if i want to drop some extra $$

Old 05-14-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Excellent, thank you. I've never found them in stores but a good butcher usually had them. In fact an excellent butcher introduced them to me years and years ago.

years ago, most butchers put them in stew meat and cube steak, (comes from a two part muscle on top of the shoulder)

they are one of my favs- many places dont have them,,,, some places have tried them- but customers didnt know what they were

to get a good deal, you can ask your butcher friend, to buy a whole bag of them at a wholesale price

Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,763,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
have you ever seen the air-aged steak, before they trim it??
most air-age steaks come from, aging the whole primal, whether its a shortloin (porterhouse/t-bone)

or a rib-eye, or strip,

some places will age for 2 weeks, some will age 3, or 4, weeks
I have to travel ~100 miles for a butcher shop that sells dry-aged beef - they age for four weeks.

BTW - speaking of dry-aging. Has anyone here tried any of the UMAi Dry Bag products for home made dry-aged beef and charcuterie? I'm thinking about making some Capicola using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink