Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Ok I give, what is it?
Didn't want to assume! Wasn't sure if it was well-known here, it's all over the UK like a rash, but a v tasty one!!!

Banoffi is banana and toffee, so... it's a pie - made with a pastry base (not crumbs!!) - filled with a creamy toffee goo, topped with sliced banana and cream.

The 'toffee' filling is made by simmering a can of condensed milk, unopened, in water for 4-5 hours, until the sugar in the milk gently caramelises it into a fudgy creamy toffee.

O soooo gooood!!!

This is THE original recipe...from the people who invented it!

Banoffi (Banoffee) Pie Recipe - The Hungry Monk Restaurant - Jevington, Near Eastbourne and Brighton, Sussex, England T: 01323 482178 (http://www.hungrymonk.co.uk/pages/banoffi.htm - broken link)

PS you can use Dulce de Leche if you are scared of exploding milk cans!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Didn't want to assume! Wasn't sure if it was well-known here, it's all over the UK like a rash, but a v tasty one!!!

Banoffi is banana and toffee, so... it's a pie - made with a pastry base (not crumbs!!) - filled with a creamy toffee goo, topped with sliced banana and cream.

The 'toffee' filling is made by simmering a can of condensed milk, unopened, in water for 4-5 hours, until the sugar in the milk gently caramelises it into a fudgy creamy toffee.

O soooo gooood!!!

This is THE original recipe...from the people who invented it!

Banoffi (Banoffee) Pie Recipe - The Hungry Monk Restaurant - Jevington, Near Eastbourne and Brighton, Sussex, England T: 01323 482178 (http://www.hungrymonk.co.uk/pages/banoffi.htm - broken link)

PS you can use Dulce de Leche if you are scared of exploding milk cans!!!
Oh, sounds like a slice of heaven.... mmmmmmmmmmm I love PIE

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Oh, sounds like a slice of heaven.... mmmmmmmmmmm I love PIE
H'mmmm. Isn't toffee made with a little coffee in it??? Now now. We don't won't that headache back. Those kiddies need an up and running mommy. Maybe I shouldn't post this but I must. For dessert I was presented with some cheese cake dripping with chocolate syrup. The winds of chocolate made it in tonight. I need to be getting closer to my pillow. See yas tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
H'mmmm. Isn't toffee made with a little coffee in it??? Now now. We don't won't that headache back. Those kiddies need an up and running mommy.
The coffee is optional the idea of it is to give a touch of bitterness against all that sweetness - maybe you could use decaf - or just dig in and looooove the sugar.....mmmmmmm

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Maybe I shouldn't post this but I must. For dessert I was presented with some cheese cake dripping with chocolate syrup. The winds of chocolate made it in tonight. I need to be getting closer to my pillow. See yas tomorrow.
You are a BAD influence! I had dinner - bbq beef, baked potato, slaw, corn - the works, in fact - but reading the word 'chocolate' has told my tummy it needs some...now.

Very, very bad. Go to bed.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
That pie with shaved bittersweet chocolate on top, OMG, got to try it!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,941,834 times
Okay, the fresh peach cobber was fantastic! And I liked the chicken bruschetta bake too!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
CheyDee, this sounds great with the grape jelly. I have a pot roast slow cooking now in the oven. I serve my pot roasts and beef stews with fresh horseradish on the side, as well as orange marmalade. We love the fruit flavor of the marmalade, so I know that the grape will be equally as delicious.

This lovely piece of chuck roast should be ready in about 4-5 hours. I started it at noon with a quick searing and then added my water to cover, some ketchup, garlic and seasonings. I keep it in a 310° oven for several hours to really tenderize it. For the last hour I throw in my redskin potatoes, a large onion- halved, garlic cloves, carrots and cabbage wedges.

Don't you love the flavor of the gravy that comes from a pot roast filling the air with "Come and get it!"

Do you tent it in foil or do you cook it uncovered?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I was wrong! When I went to look up my brisket recipe it wasnt with grape jelly.....(that must have been the cocktail meat balls)

But I found this chicken recipe:

Joan's Drunken Chicken

Place cut up chicken in a shallow baking dish

mix :
1 6oz can of undiluted frozen oj
1/2 cup sherry
1/2 package onion soup mix

pour over chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour uncovered. While cooking, baste with the pan sauce at least twice.

(I had this as a company meal long ago....it was good! I never have made it)
This sounds quick, easy, and yummy. I am putting it on my list to try. Thanks, Elston! (And thanks, Joan )

Old 09-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I got the cobbler creeping crust thing going in my oven with some local macintosh apples......I think I needed to put it on a cookie sheet.....did yours run over the top of the 9x12?
I made mine in a 9x12 Corningware dish and it didn't run over. Did yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.