Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

skbs..one of my favorite stores.

Lacey all my pants need to be hemmed do you think he would mind doing it for me? I used to sew but everytime I did I broke my sewing machine and I finally gave up.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
You guys are making me so very hungry for Turkey!!!!

Since I have not cooked a decent meal all week, (meetings each night the first of each month augh!!!) I am cooking a great dinner tonight.

We are having:

Fresh baby lima beans
Fresh mustard green - yum love to smell 'em cook!
Baked Pit Ham
Sliced Tomatoes
Cornbread
Peach Cobbler

and of course sweet tea
Couriosity has me, what is Pit Ham?

Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I would love to buy a sewing machine and learn to sew....I am 67.....is there any help? Where?
Sewing isn't difficult, Elston, even I can do it. My Depression-era mother was determined to teach me frugality, which by her definition meant sewing one's own clothes as much as possible, and I had no choice but to pick up the basics. I never learned to love sewing as she did, but I can do it. And it's a great skill to have, whether you're mending a seam in a pair of pants or making yourself a shirt that actually fits. Or a Hallowe'en costume, which is how my sewing skills have mostly been used over the past couple of decades.

I'd suggest looking for a sewing class at a local community college, or in the schools-in-community outreach of your local school district. You could learn the basics that way, and see if it's something that you enjoy enough to invest in the equipment (which isn't cheap, by the way).

Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I am clueless Elston... more like afraid... I seriously have a fear of sewing my fingernail with those things... I have images of pushing the fabric along and then zzzzzzzzzzzzip... I have a seam going right through my fingernail... not pretty...
I can understand why you'd be nervous about that, SKBS - my mom, who was a good enough seamstress that she had her own custom sewing business for a number of years, did exactly that one time, and had a much greater respect for her Singer Featherweight machine in consequence! She still sewed at a phenomenal speed, but was a lot more cautious about pulling her fingers out of the way of the needle.

She told me a story once about sewing a dress for a client out of a gorgeous silk brocade fabric that her client had purchased in Hong Kong on a trip and brought home. She had bought the yardage that Mom told her to, but because the fabric was not as wide as domestic fabrics, it took some extremely creative cutting to get the pattern pieces out.

Well, she was working on setting the zipper, and she pricked her finger on a pin and got a blood stain on the fabric. She couldn't wash it, because it was silk. She couldn't cut a replacement piece, because there was not so much as a square inch of extra fabric to spare. So she went on a hunt for silk thread in the exact shade of the patch with the bloodstain on it, and when she found it, she hand-wove a patch over the stain. And her client never knew that she had truly left a bit of herself in the dress.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I can understand why you'd be nervous about that, SKBS - my mom, who was a good enough seamstress that she had her own custom sewing business for a number of years, did exactly that one time, and had a much greater respect for her Singer Featherweight machine in consequence! She still sewed at a phenomenal speed, but was a lot more cautious about pulling her fingers out of the way of the needle.

She told me a story once about sewing a dress for a client out of a gorgeous silk brocade fabric that her client had purchased in Hong Kong on a trip and brought home. She had bought the yardage that Mom told her to, but because the fabric was not as wide as domestic fabrics, it took some extremely creative cutting to get the pattern pieces out.

Well, she was working on setting the zipper, and she pricked her finger on a pin and got a blood stain on the fabric. She couldn't wash it, because it was silk. She couldn't cut a replacement piece, because there was not so much as a square inch of extra fabric to spare. So she went on a hunt for silk thread in the exact shade of the patch with the bloodstain on it, and when she found it, she hand-wove a patch over the stain. And her client never knew that she had truly left a bit of herself in the dress.
wow wow wowza! better the tailor than the butcher!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:50 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
A Pit Ham is boneless, most of the fat has been trimmed and it is in the shape of a teardrop. These hams are also tied with twine.

That's bout all I know about them. I guess I've been around them since childhood and never really thought about 'what' they were.

They are tender and juicy and the smoky taste is awesome. I cook mine on my oven's lowest heat all night long, wrapped in two to three layers of foil. Learned how to cook it from my mom.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Alright all.... I am off to very happily stuff my face with freshly popped kettle corn and get cozied up on the sofa to watch Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters... it is a MUST DO on Sunday night! Enjoy your evening!!!!! Cya all back here tomorrow!

Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
good night skbs! the threads are slow this evening so.............downstairs till re runs of the news drives me bonka's see ya.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
A Pit Ham is boneless, most of the fat has been trimmed and it is in the shape of a teardrop. These hams are also tied with twine.

That's bout all I know about them. I guess I've been around them since childhood and never really thought about 'what' they were.

They are tender and juicy and the smoky taste is awesome. I cook mine on my oven's lowest heat all night long, wrapped in two to three layers of foil. Learned how to cook it from my mom.
Thanks, never heard of them but sounds delicious!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Years ago we had a cook book with instructions on how to pit cook BBQ. You literally dug a pit and built a huge fire that burned down to coals until you had a fire bed so thick. Then you covered it with soil and then a sheet of tin. The meats were place on the the tin and covered with another sheet of tin and then more soil to trap the heat. A day or so later it would be uncovered. This is something I've always wanted to do and if I can find the old cookbook I may just yet. I suspect that Pit Cooked Hams got their name from this technique. The smokey taste probable is near what the original pit cooked hams were. This is just a guess. I have not researched it but do remember buying one and reading some on the label some years back. If I find one It may be for thanksgiving this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink