Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times

Advertisements

chicken pesto over pasta.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Crazy, we have one like that in our family, too. It is very tacky. I say don't invite everyone if you can't afford everyone, but keep the rest of info to yourself!! Honor us with you presence, but pay for your own!! No, no, no!

Everyone would probably be thrilled to just have a shower or reception to celebrate the day and bring a dish for a meal together afterward. Do not plan a party that YOU can't afford and then expect others to foot the bill. They probably can't afford it either.

I have been to several weddings and showers where the bride or mother-to-be's family or whoever was hosting the event could not afford a fancy catered spread. A simple invitation with a request to bring a dish of your favorite recipe is always acceptable to take to the event. I would be very happy to do that.

You are so right Gem..the weddings are getting crazy. The average gift now is $150.00 and of course a hotel room.
They have it planned so that the hotel is an hour away then the church is a half hour away from the hotel then back to the hotel for the reception.
I think I will be skipping the church.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
The other night we had leftover London Broil and leftover Mac and Cheese.

Tonight I sauted peppers and onions, sliced the meat into thin strips and tossed it in with the peppers and onions, then mixed the whole concoction into the Mac and Cheese and made Philly Mac and Cheesesteak Cassarole.

I thought it was pretty good.
Charley, I did not know you were so creative in the kitchen, too! That sounds pretty doggone good. Boy, do I crave a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich now and then!! Mostly NOW!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
You are so right Gem..the weddings are getting crazy. The average gift now is $150.00 and of course a hotel room.
They have it planned so that the hotel is an hour away then the church is a half hour away from the hotel then back to the hotel for the reception.
I think I will be skipping the church.
UHG I have a bridal shower to go to on Saturday and it is a very good family friend and I have no clue what to spend (I am SO last minute) ....it is so hard. The wedding is in December.... At least we get fed... and usually REALLY WELL.... there is always a plus side to these things

Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I think when there is a problem like what we read here this eveniing it has to do with the bride having been told all her life that her wedding day is her special day and its all about her.....some take that to mean they can be as unreasonable and selfish and inconsiderate as they want and everyone will understand. That is really all about them. Unfortunately it is never all about any of us.....manners and consideration and even putting others first is always called for. It is also unfortunate that that attitude almost guarentees that they will be dissappointed in how their special day turns out.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
I've coped with most of the challenges of parenting pretty well, but I have to admit that I'm not really looking forward to the inevitable weddings. Oh, I'm more than ready for my offspring to meet loving partners and settle down, but if they could just sort of skip over The Big Day and go straight on into life together, I'd be much, much happier. I've been to one or two of those Bride-zilla extravaganzas, and frankly I'd sooner see mine elope. Ah, well, at the rate they're going, or not going, it'll likely be at least a few more years yet before I have to deal with that, and hopefully by then all parties will have developed enough sense not to put the rest of the family through the kind of drama that seems so popular these days.

Had another fast supper downtown tonight; the UW Academy was sponsoring a lecture that the spouse and I wanted to hear, so we grabbed a bite at Noodles & Co. right across State Street from the Overture Center, then went over to hear about the latest research on slowing the progression of degenerative neurological disorders. Quite a fascinating talk, though the speaker was clearly covering things at a very, very superficial level; there was just way too much to go into a lot of detail in an hour's time. He's focusing on cells that act as a sort of support system for neurons, and specifically a type of protein that enhances the support cells' ability to protect and nurture the neurons. Way, way too technical and detailed for a mere accountant to grasp all the details, but he did say that we should all eat plenty of cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc) and drink red wine as a way of helping our astrocytes support our neurons.... which, of course, is my excuse for talking about it in the foodie's forum.

So, get that broccoli into the steamer, pour yourself another glass of red wine, and do the NY Times crossword puzzle every day, and your neurons will still be robust and fully functional when you're 110 years old!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
but he did say that we should all eat plenty of cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc) and drink red wine as a way of helping our astrocytes support our neurons....

I knew there was a reason I eat these most every week. Now if I could only learn to like the red wine. That is something I have tried more than once and I just can't seem to acquire a taste for it. To much like bad medicine. At least I'm learning to cook with it.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,217 times
I think it is funny to read about bridezillas I have not had a wedding.... Even if my parents could afford it I still would do something different. I still plan on it. I told my hub lets fly to Hawii get married. Why not? Still send out invitations and all, but say no pressure. We can send pics to everyone and have another family ceremony at home. There have been many ideas and asking my dad for 20.000 is not one of'em. Just plain silly and not realistic with the money. Shoot now a days that would not even help with a down on a house...... Sorry for rambeling just a thought ha ha ha night to you all

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
I hear ya about the weddings! I'd like to elope or have a small outdoor ceremony and then a huge, informal bbq type party afterward....

Anyway, all by my lonesome so I thought I would do my part to clean up leftovers....a piece and a half of a supreme pizza, four meatballs, and some spaghetti. I feel like a little piggie! Oh well.

Tomorrow is a cheese and bbq pork (leftover from the smoked ribs) quesadilla and some soup

Old 10-14-2008, 10:06 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I hear ya about the weddings! I'd like to elope or have a small outdoor ceremony and then a huge, informal bbq type party afterward....

Anyway, all by my lonesome so I thought I would do my part to clean up leftovers....a piece and a half of a supreme pizza, four meatballs, and some spaghetti. I feel like a little piggie! Oh well.

Tomorrow is a cheese and bbq pork (leftover from the smoked ribs) quesadilla and some soup

Sounds good to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink