Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,229,131 times

Advertisements

Thanks elston, another interesting fact we have learned today! It's so important that we all continue learning and I learn here everyday!!!

MWB, as usual you have jumped in and saved the day! How nice of you to do the research to help other posters with their questions. Such a great addition to this thread! Thanks.

And you too Nomadicus...always to the rescue! Willing to take a little time to answer questons plus sharing your love for chocolate, Valveeta and jalapenos!

My new recipe for chicken pesto was very good. So maybe I'm on a roll again! Guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself..I'm going to take it slow. I'll try something new and then cook what I know for awhile and something new again and so on.......

Think tonight I'll cook up some shrimp and french fries. I'll have the last of my fresh tomatoes sliced on the side. Looks like we won't be having local, fresh tomatoes until next year now...sigh.....

Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
LOLLLLL... Well the kitties ARE more important aren't they? We can wait.
Thanks for the suggestions Nomad. My biggest problem is "creativity" and not knowing what goes with what or what spices/sauces, etc.

I do have my son around too who will eat here too but he is SO picky and he's a grown man. He knows how to make eggs though. We may just be eating a lot of eggs, or he'll learn to eat my CD creations!
You are not alone as far as being creative and what goes with what....my whole reason for starting this thread. The people here have helped me so much and just the encouragement alone is amazing here. Stick by me and we will figure this out together with all of this help!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,793,137 times
Morning friends-YoungLisa I will post the cheesecake when I'm fully awake!

No idea yet-Mr. L said maybe out and I'm thinking hot roast beef sandwiches on whole grain bread.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,871,725 times
Well I made the red wine and mushroom risotto and it was very nice and very easy. I wish I'd had some fresh herbs though but never mind.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
OK, y'all do not laugh at me, as I have never had sushi - Is there a cooked variety of sushi??? I thought sushi was raw? (I am sooooooo culinarily disadvantaged! )

Being something of a "sweet tea connoisseur", is this green tea you love as good as regular sweet tea? I know it is supposed to be really good for you.

OK, you are now officially my best friend!!!!!!!!

Ditto from me too! You are such a wonderful person! We here on CD know it, and your next sig other will too! Wishing you all the happiness in the world!
Sushi is just raw fish in rice! But....you can get "rolls" that are made up of cucumbers..Cucumber rolls. But sushi really is so good. I would have never thought I would even have tried it--I mean, come on, YUK!!! That's bait! Ha! But once I tried it I fell in love with it. The trick for me the first time I tried it was to go when I was so hungry, I would have tried about anything...then you have to put the thought of the fish being raw out of your mind (not an easy thing to do but when you are hungry you are more willing to try) and the best part is dipping the sushi in the soy/wasabi dip...oh my!! I was hooked! It's not for everyone though and I understand. It is worth giving it a try though!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,310,269 times
Morning, all, and happy Monday (uurrgghh) to everyone. It's chilly here in Wisconsin, hence the purring lapful that is currently making it difficult for me to reach the keyboard. He sure knows where it's warmest; if there isn't a lap handy, he'll settle in on top of one of our radiators for a nap.

Supper today is likely to involve a package of pork steaks I saw thawing in the fridge when I was getting out lunch supplies. Not sure yet about the sides, but I'm hoping for the acorn squash that we got from the CSA box recently.

Have a good day, all, stay warm and be safe.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,793,137 times
My grands love sushi-they're braver than me!!! Last year for Christmas I got our daughter and son-in-law the sushi serving platter, chopsticks, small dishes for the wasabi,etc.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,871,725 times
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow
OK, y'all do not laugh at me, as I have never had sushi - Is there a cooked variety of sushi??? I thought sushi was raw? (I am sooooooo culinarily disadvantaged! )

You can get cooked tuna nori rolls here in Oz and they also have teriyaki chicken ones and I had a crispy chicken and cucumber one last week which was really nice.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 AM

47,916 posts, read 21,907,967 times
Sushi

Katsmeow.....Don't thnk "raw fish" that isnt the mind set that will allow the maximum enjoyment. The fish in sushi is not cooked...it is fresh and of the absolute top quality; it is sliced very thin and the texture is buttery and the taste is like a fresh cool sea breeze. Don't think "raw", that has unpleasant connotations.....think fresh as a sea breeze. And take the time to enjoy the artistry of the presentation.....sushi is beautiful.

IMHO, There is nothing yucky or nasty about it. I hope you give it a try some time....but not from the supermarket....go to a good sushi bar or resturant for your first try and dont try to make it your main meal....order something more familiar like tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) or tempura (batter fried shrimp and vegetables) and get a few samples of sushi.....the mildest is probably the salmon sushi.

Sashimi is also fresh (uncooked) fish but without the rice.... it is thinly sliced and also eaten dipped in the soy and wasabi dip.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Sushi

Katsmeow.....Don't thnk "raw fish" that isnt the mind set that will allow the maximum enjoyment. The fish in sushi is not cooked...it is fresh and of the absolute top quality; it is sliced very thin and the texture is buttery and the taste is like a fresh cool sea breeze. Don't think "raw", that has unpleasant connotations.....think fresh as a sea breeze. And take the time to enjoy the artistry of the presentation.....sushi is beautiful.

IMHO, There is nothing yucky or nasty about it. I hope you give it a try some time....but not from the supermarket....go to a good sushi bar or resturant for your first try and dont try to make it your main meal....order something more familiar like tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) or tempura (batter fried shrimp and vegetables) and get a few samples of sushi.....the mildest is probably the salmon sushi.

Sashimi is also fresh (uncooked) fish but without the rice.... it is thinly sliced and also eaten dipped in the soy and wasabi dip.
I started with the Veggie Rolls... and like Tempura Rolls.... cooked stuff... and after a couple of years worked up to raw... I will not do Sashimi (HAVE in the past- don't like it).... but I started w/ veg and cooked stuff....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink