Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 03:52 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
........ I have 2 large bunches of celery in my fridge. Plenty chopped up in the freezer for later cooking but what can I do with the 2 bunches now? Trying to get clean out my fridge to be ready for the big feast on Thanksgiving. Thanks for your help.
Don't suppose you have a juicer? If you do, you could juice the celery and drink it! Great as a combo with carrots, amd some fresh ginger. And you can freeze the juice to use as stock.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
1/2 an omlette 1/2 a bagel
just wasn't very hungry. the temperature went way up to 95F.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
I have promised my kids a movie and 'carpet picnic' tonight... so tonight is chicken tenders in garlic panko, with corn fritters and some other finger food... hey - we may even light the fire!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:51 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
turkey.......

Old 11-16-2008, 05:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Leftover potato soup tonight, with some good crusty rosemary-olive oil bread for sopping; great cold-weather food. Dessert will be some home-made applesauce currently simmering on the stove and scenting the air with its mouth-watering aroma.

We got the bread for the Thanksgiving stuffing today, and that is now cut into chunks and drying in a slow oven. Spouse decided that he wanted to do all sourdough this year, which should be wonderful. Sometimes we do all sourdough, sometimes all whole wheat, sometimes a mixture of both, but this year is a sourdough year. We got extra, because I want to make a cornbread/sausage/apple stuffing as well, and all the recipes I've found so far seem to call for equal quantities of cornbread crumbs and regular bread chunks. Next weekend, we'll make up a batch of Southern skillet cornbread for the other part of the stuffing, as well as a nice big pot of whole-berry cranberry/orange/ginger relish.

The daughter and sig-other stopped by this afternoon for a bit, and we enjoyed the chance to chat with them some more. They're discovering the challenges inherent in going from a dating couple to a living-together couple, with all the essential compromises and learning new ways of doing things, and it's kind of interesting to watch. We went through much the same thing three decades ago, and we both remember how hard it can be at first; hope they can get through these first stressful and tumultuous months. They're both good kids, and I think could potentially be together for a long while if they can work out their issues. Time will tell.

I can't imagine how it can already be Sunday night, but in just a bit over twelve hours, another long week begins. I wish you all a successful one, and I hope that the layoff fairy stays far away from your respective workplaces and that prosperity takes up residence in your home! Take care, all.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:19 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Don't suppose you have a juicer? If you do, you could juice the celery and drink it! Great as a combo with carrots, amd some fresh ginger. And you can freeze the juice to use as stock.
No I don't. Really I am looking for recipes that use a lot of celery. But I suppose I could cut and freeze it then buy more for T day dinner for salads.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Nite all-stuffed peppers were so good, spinach salad.

All who are cold (like here) stay warm.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Our chili hit the spot tonight. We covered the bottom of our bowls with baked potato and then a layer of easy melting cheese and then filled the bowl with chili. Mine had an added layer of jalapenos for added warmth and sinus pain reliever. Must confess that the ice cream and brownie hot out of the oven was good too. The house is now full of the smells of the pork roast roasting in the oven.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I ended up making chicken rolled tacos, avo sauce, and the red chile garlic sauce.. yuuuuuuuum.

It was just like being at Olvera Street, which is just across the street from Union Station in L.A. (minus the mariachi, cheap purses, and hustle and bustle, unfortunately) I'm so glad I've finally come to terns with my homesickness by learning to make good Mexican food. Mexican food is a way of life for any San Diegan.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
The bone-in pork chops in the slow cooker turned out wonderful. They simmered all afternoon in a can of cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix packet, can of beef stock. A few hour into it, I added mushrooms and onions. A spoonful of flour went in to thicken up the mushroom gravy too. The pork just fell off the bone! No knives needed.

The best part though was that the bf made a pecan pie with an oatmeal crust for dessert! (the one on the cover of cooking light this month). He wanted to do a test run before turkey day and I was one happy taste tester!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink