Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2008, 07:56 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Morning everybody.

Hey all you oatmeal meatloaf makers.. can I use steel-cut oatmeal (and how much for 1.5 lbs of meat) or had I better stick to white bread?

My hubby is convinced he hates meatloaf because of traumatic childhood ritual force-feedings, so this is my only chance to convince him it's not completely evil.
Debsi,

If you are trying to convince DH that meatloaf isn't evil....I wouldnt mess about with the steel cut oats.....use breadcrumbs or rolled oats or Panko.
If you are hell bent on using the steel cut.....I would suggest letting them soak in whatever liquid you plan to use....to soften....before adding them to the meat.....or making up the loaf way in advance and wrap and refrigerate it.......same purpose......But really you have time....go get some rolled oats or crumbs....dont muck-about with the meat loaf; this is his last chance to like it.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Debsi, I don't know about steel cut, I always use quick cooking oatmeal. I usually use a couple of cups, just kinda eyeball it, enough to bind the meat, ya know. Sorry I am not more help.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:08 AM

601 posts, read 1,904,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Last night we went to dinner at a local steakhouse with another couple. DH had NY strip steak, asparagus, and a baked potato with the works; I had prime rib, baked potato and carrots. The food was mediocre, but the company was excellent After dinner we played cards and there were plenty of goodies to snack on, to make up for the just okay dinner. (But no holiday cookies )

Tonight will be pork chops with apple-cherry stuffing and candied acorn squash. I hate cooking on weekends, but the pork chops are in the crockpot and the squash gets nuked, so it is an easy dinner.

It is interesting to read so many hate the cold. I'm a real winter baby and miss the cold and snow so much! Of course I bundle up in it so I don't feel cold, but that is part of the fun. They way so many choose to stay inside is what I do here in the summer. I hate the heat! Today was one of our rare, overcast days. You just know I was out since early this AM enjoying every minute of it. I swear, one could get seasonal affective disorder in reverse. I am so sick of unrelentless sunshine. If anyone up north wants to trade spaces for a month, just let me know. No decorating required.

Nik - Love, love, love the puppy pics!

MTH - Hope you get your puppy. Congratulations!!!

Ha! I felt that way in Fl. Hated the heat and humidity!!! So now we are in
Western Wash. and it's the coldest it's been in 20 years!!! Snow to last the entire week. Hate driving in it...but I know it's only temporary

I'm either making Chili, or chicken parm tonight. Not sure yet.
Stay warm you guys!!!!! I saw the weather in Minn. Yikes!!!!!

MTH---Puppies are so much fun. A new member of the family!!! I hope you are able to keep him.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:09 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Debsi, do you know what his mom used in her meatloaf? I'd do it differently if you do know. Whatever she used I would not use. Also in todays meatloafs many other things are added that can vary the flavor quite a bit. Shredded carrots, applesauce, green peppers and the sauce that goes on the top can really perk it up! Also using more then the beef--use pork and maybe even some veal. I don't buy veal but my DH likes it he says. DH actually bought a "meatloaf" mix of 3 different meats the other day at the store in the meat section. I'm going to give it a try. I usually mix at least some ground pork to the mix for added flavor!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Debsi, do you know what his mom used in her meatloaf? I'd do it differently if you do know. Whatever she used I would not use. Also in todays meatloafs many other things are added that can vary the flavor quite a bit. Shredded carrots, applesauce, green peppers and the sauce that goes on the top can really perk it up! Also using more then the beef--use pork and maybe even some veal. I don't buy veal but my DH likes it he says. I actually bought a "meatloaf" mix of 3 different meats the other day at the store in the meat section. I'm going to give it a try. I usually mix at least some ground pork to the mix for added flavor!
I bought the same thing this past week and then felt guilty about the veal....I took it out to defrost today......want to use it up so I can get past the guilt.

I did use a recipe once that called for a little unflavored gelatin added to the pork and ground beef for meat loaf......it gives it the special velvet texture that the veal adds when it is in meatloaf...it was good.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Thank you elston...I wasn't going to mention the guilt but that is my problem exactly. That's why DH bought it and I didn't. Now that we have it I will make it but I still will not buy it!!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Y'all had me hysterical laughing late last night.

We're having friends over for a casual dinner tonight. I've already been warned that 2 of their 4 kids will not eat vegetables in any way, shape or form, other than corn. I am determined to prove them wrong, so I am making a couple of those old Bisquick Impossible Cheeseburger Pies and am stuffing them full of pulverized veggies. I'll probably have a second dish "just in case". All this meatloaf talk has me considering that, since I could hide veggies in there too. I know all the kids eat burgers.

Elston - Glad to hear your son has his power back. You must be very relieved.

Cyn - What an amazing story.

HG - Thank goodness you weren't hurt!

Lacey - That's even cold for moi, but I still prefer it to hot weather.

MWBW - Pretty funny that you have to do the fish with 4 men in the house. My fingers are crossed for you re the puppy.

Daytripper - We have no humidity here. It can even go as low as 7%!!! It is soooo dry, no matter how many humidifiers you have running, that your lips suck into the rest of your face. LOL. Never mind the heat. Summer temps can get beyond 120. I sometimes feel I am getting practice for my eternal resting place.

Debsi - Good luck with the meatloaf.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Thanks guys. I had the feeling. Steel Cut is the only kind of oatmeal I have. I don't want to bother buying the other kind because we hardly ever eat it. I do have plenty of stale white bread just crying out to be used.

So how many slices of bread would you use for 1.5 pounds of ground chuck? Or should I just be making something else with it?

I don't know how m-i-l made her meatloaf, it was years ago.. could've even been frozen food for all DH remembers. She doesn't enjoy cooking, although nearly everything I've had at her house has been really good. I figure she's improved since he was small.

I was looking at doing the Joy of Cooking recipe but I guess that's out now that I know I can't substitute the wrong oatmeal. Darn it! Back to square one.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Debsi-about 2 slices, crusts removed.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,247,513 times
Good Morning Everyone! Glad to here you all have had a good, busy weekend.
I have meatballs that I am making today for my (gravy) sauce. I haven't decided on dinner tonight as yet, possibly split chicken breasts.
I'll check back later, have a good morning all.
Lacey and everyone in the West please stay warm and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink