Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 05:28 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

I noticed that there were two over-ripe banana's on the counter so just whipped up a banana bread and put that in the oven...; I didnt have any nuts left so I added a little almond extract! It is very cold here this morning....so having the oven going and the aroma of banana bread in the kitchen will be pleasant!

It is so cold I dont want to go out to the compost with yesterdays scraps. Will do that in a little while.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
I'll be over in about 45 mins.

We will be having leftovers again tonight.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
I'll be over in about 45 mins.

We will be having leftovers again tonight.
The coffee is ready and the bread is rising....Y'all come!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The coffee is ready and the bread is rising....Y'all come!
At least I'll be able to say you're only a piece down the road someday!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 AM

Default The Way Life Should Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
At least I'll be able to say you're only a piece down the road someday!!!
Hurry Home; Maine is calling to you!

Just hope no one says to you, "you can't get there from here".

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Hurry Home; Maine is calling to you!

Just hope no one says to you, "you can't get there from here".
I'll find you no matter what they say!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Good morning all-what a great way to wakeup reading all your great, fun posts.

Great food, great ideas and laughs.

Cyn hope the first 24 hrs. went smoothly.

Hey VP-Maybe Nik should just fix that bagel and eat it for you! LOL

Good morning Lacey & company........

Lacey........Funny. Guess what I'm doing right now as I read this?
Eating a Einstein bagel with the Cream Cheese & Chives spread. I'm almost out of the salmon one so I'm saving it a little.

I thought about Nik as I was toasting it and putting the spread on.

Tonight's dinner will be at Macaroni Grill. Meeting up with a girlfriend from when I was 13 years old. Now some of you know how long that is! We haven't seen each other in about 10 years now!

Stay warm everyone!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Morning.

Not sure what is for dinner. Driving back home today so we may eat out of open a can. I"m ready to go home. I miss my cats

Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Good morning all from the frozen north! It was nice last night proving that yes you can grill at -10 deg! Steaks came out great and it gives you that faint memory of summer that's needed after sooooo many freezing days.

Younglisa and Grannys, the chocolate ravioli recipe that worked will be posted below. I suggest making the filling first, then the pasta part since the filling has to chill for a few hours (kind of like me after the first 2 flops ).

Elston: We do the same with bannana's and I throw in a cup of Choc Chips everytime, sometimes nuts sometimes not but always has to have chocolate!

Tonight is party night! We're doing an early christmas with some family friends (that's why I was doing the ravioli btw) and the kid chef decided on the menu which is; Chicken Alfredo, Cheese stuffed jumbo shells with scratch made Marinara sauce,Roasted Garlic bread and a huge salad. Dessert is of course the Ravioli drizzled with caramel and a fruit puree or Blackberry Creeping Cobbler.

Here is the winning recipe:
Cocolate Ravioli

THE PASTA DOUGH:
· 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
· 3 tablespoons sugar
· Pinch of salt
· 3 large eggs

THE CHOCOLATE PASTRY CREAM FILLING:
· 3 cups milk
· 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 5 egg yolks
· 1/3 cup cornstarch
· 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 1/2 pound hazelnut chocolate (gianduja), roughly chopped

THE SAUCE:
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 1/2 cup milk
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
· 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

THE POACHING LIQUID:
· 8 cups water
· 2 cups sugar

Preparation
For the pasta dough, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and place the eggs in the well. Using a fork, slowly incorporate the eggs into the flour, until all the eggs have been absorbed. Transfer the dough to a work surface and, using the palm of your hand, lightly knead the dough for 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough is sticky, sprinkle a little flour on the kneading surface. The dough is ready if, when you make an impression in it with the tip of your finger, the dough bounces back. Shape into a disk and tightly wrap in plastic film. Let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Meanwhile, make the pastry cream: In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and vanilla bean. Place over high heat and bring to a boil (be careful not to scorch the milk). Meanwhile, using a whisk, in a medium bowl, whip the sugar and egg yolks until pale yellow and frothy, about 2 minutes. Add the cornstarch and whisk to dissolve any lumps.
Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and discard. Temper the egg yolk mixture by pouring a little of the steaming milk into the yolks, whisking to incorporate. Whisk the egg yolks into the remaining milk in the pan, set the pan over medium heat, and whisk quickly and constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, then whisk for another minute. Add the butter and stir until incorporated. Transfer the pastry cream to a storage container and place plastic wrap directly against the cream to prevent a skin from forming on top. Refrigerate until fully chilled, about 2 hours.
Once the pastry cream has chilled, place the hazelnut chocolate in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 1 minute; or melt the chocolate in a double boiler over low heat. Remove the chocolate from the microwave and stir. Heat the chocolate for another minute, remove, and stir to melt the remaining chocolate. Add to the pastry cream and stir to incorporate. Return to the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Divide the pasta dough into 4 pieces. Using a pasta machine, one at a time, roll out each piece from the widest to the thinnest setting. Keep the remaining dough covered to prevent it from drying out.
To make the ravioli, dust a work surface with flour. Place one pasta sheet on the work surface. Starting about 2 inches from one end, place a teaspoon of filling every 4 inches down the pasta strip, ending about 2 inches from the other end of the strip. Brush the pasta dough with water, fold the dough over, and press to seal, being careful not to trap air inside the ravioli (or they will burst during cooking). Cut the ravioli into half-moons using a cookie cutter or pastry wheel. Press the edges together and squeeze to make the edges of the dough as thin as possible. Set the finished ravioli on a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprinkled with flour, to prevent sticking. Repeat with the remaining dough. You should get at least 24 ravioli. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
For the sauce, bring the heavy cream, milk, and sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir until melted. Add the butter and stir to incorporate.
To cook the ravioli, bring the water and sugar to a boil in a large pot and boil until the sugar has dissolved. Add the ravioli to the pot and cook until al dente, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, gently reheat the chocolate sauce.
To serve, remove the ravioli with a slotted spoon, letting the excess liquid drain, and arrange 4 ravioli on each plate. Drizzle the sauce over each plate. Serve immediately

Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hey girl!!! I am so proud of you for attempting this!!! I still am a smoker , but have cut way back to less than a pack a day - sometimes only smoke 1-3 a day - my doctor doesn't think I am addicted to them - ummmm I have been smoking for 27 years now so I think that I am. But since we don't smoke in the house, there are actually times that I will not smoke any all day because of inclement weather ( - rain I mean!) or some such. I would rather not bother smoking than have to haul my cacuss () outside to do it.

ANYHOW, the closest I came to quitting was when I bought herbal cigarettes from the health food store. They have no nicotine or carcinogens, but have other herbs in them. They satisfied my urge for a smoke when I simply HAD to have one. They do have very very strong odor though!
Kats, I wish the weather would stop my smoking . I don't smoke inside and haven't for 17 years now and I can tell you there's only been ONE day in that time that the weather stopped me and that was last Thursday when it was -30 wind chill with nowhere to hide, in fact I went out just an hour ago at -10.
I know I've got to quit as well probably sooner than later since my heart doc is harping on me (along with my DW and kid chef) so maybe I'll do the Telly Savalis thing (anyone remember Kojak?) with the tootsie roll pops.
I wish all who are quitting the best and godspeed, it's the hardest addiction to break imo, harder than any drug (and yes Nomad) INCLUDING chocolate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink