Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Goooooooood Morning all!
First, thanks to all for the well wishes about my back! It is getting better as it warmed above 0 for the last couple of days and the pharmacuiticals kicked in .
Cyn, a word of warning. Don't come off the patch too quick if anything reduce the dose. If you come off too soon you're setting yourself up for failure. Right now you're dealing with the mental addiction and you're satisfying the physical one with the patch. Doc's tell me it takes 14-30 days to establish a habit and about the same to stop one but the physical is a bit harder to drop, not longer but harder imo. From all the smoking cessation classes I've taken (many,many btw) they say get used to not smoking first then get rid of the nicotine. Remember, it took you years to get to the amount you were smoking so give it some time to get rid of it.

As for the scalloped potatoes, we make them often and I love them, especially with some hot sauce doused across the top or with leftovers I put a couple over easy eggs on 'em for breakfast.

Here's what my wife does.
9x13 pyrex pan sprayed with pam or else you'll be using a jackhammer to clean it .
Slice up 4 to 8 unpeeled potatoes (I use the slice blade on my food processor) you don't want them chip thin but you don't want them overly thick but it doesn't have to be exact you can always just let 'em cook longer. If I don't use them all we either toss 'em or fry 'em with eggs.
Thinly slice up a whole medium onion.
Grate about a half pound of cheddar cheese (sharp is my favorite), more if you like it real cheesy.
Slice or chunk up about a half pound to one pound of ham, again if we have too much it goes into soup or breakfast.

Put a layer of potatoes in the bottom of your pan, then some ham and onion then sprinkle with cheese and dab it with some butter or smart balance and season with a little salt and pepper.
Sprinkle each layer with some flour, maybe 1/8 of a cup total.
Repeat the above until the pan is full leaving the flour off the top layer but finishing with cheese (either light or heavy depending on your preference).
Pour between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of milk all over the top of the finished product (this will wash down some of the flour and make a nice thick sauce).
Spray a piece of foil with pam and cover the pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for at least an hour, check the tater's by stabbing with a fork. Just before you think the taters are done remove the foil and let 'em brown up.
Top with either Sneaky Pete's hot sauce or my favorite Chipotle Tabasco.

Jaxson, got our avacados from Costco, do they have 'em at yours?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Tonight we had roast beef with gravy and horseradish sauce, baked potato, creamed spinach, and King's Hawaiian rolls. I am thoroughly stuffed.
That sounds like my kind of meal. You had all of my favorites. I love King's Hawaiin rolls.

Tonight is leftover Turkey and gravy(from Thanksgiving). Pretty simple and easy. We have to clean out the freezer so no exciting meals for awhile.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Hi, all. Getting hungry readin this, per usual. Y'all are always welcome to my house if you want to cook!

Anyway, thought I'd try out one of Santa's gifts today. I had a round steak in the freezer that was threatening freezer burn, so I dredged it in flour, salt and pepper, then browned it (in a new frying pan). Meanwhile, I sliced up a big ol' onion and threw it in the bottom of the crock pot, then put the steak on top w/a little bit of beef soup starter (just a tad). Put a big can of diced tomatoes over that, then went to put a dash of worcestershire sauce in, but I forgot that they now have flip tops, so it may be a little heavy on the WS. Oh, well. It's been going on high for a couple hours now, and it sure smells good in here. I may turn it down to low for a bit. Don't want to be eating it at noon.

So...what do I serve with this wondrous Swiss Steak? Any suggestions?
Tempted to say mashed potato but apart from it being really obvious, you might feel like I do and want something a little lighter...? after all the Christmas goodies. How about rice cooked with lots of veggies - carrots, green beans, corn - either steamed together (put the veg in a little later to keep it slightly crisp) or cook separately.

I also love plain rice with lots of chopped kale or spinach - both really good with tomatoey rich sauces

Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
NMS I'd like noodles with mine thank you.

I did that awhile ago with the worstershire-in a beef stew but it came out great.

What time?

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
jimj, that's exactly how I make scalloped potatoes, but w/o the cheese. Guess I'll have to try that!

SD, we're finishing stuff up this week, and I have some red skinned potatoes that just may have to be sacrificed for this fine meal.

Lacey, we've used up the noodles, so they're out, unfortunately, but that would make a good alternative. Thanks for the encouragement about the WS. I know it won't bother me, but hubster isn't a big fan. I'm hoping with the tomatoes and onions and all, it'll meld in there nicely. Oh, c'mon over around 3, we'll have a glass of wine or some other libation!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,925 times
Good Morning Everyone! What a fabulous party we all could have with the delicious meals everyone make.

Southdown: what a sweet little boy enjoy him.

Cyn: Congratulations to you. Don't rush the patch, check with your dr. before stopping it.

Lacey: when are you going to get a break in that weather? It is 71 here right now. crazy.

Today we are going to have the second rib from the Standing Rib Roast, mashed potatoes and b. sprouts while watching football.

Have a great day everyone.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Today we are going to have the second rib from the Standing Rib Roast, mashed potatoes and b. sprouts.......
One word - YUMMMMMMM!!!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Good morning, all- chilly and clear here today, a welcome change from the day and a half of fog and rain we got right after Christmas. Had another inch or so of snow to clear from on top of the ice that resulted from last night's precipitation, but it was light, fluffy stuff and shoveling went quickly. The salt is working fast on the ice underneath, so I'm hopeful that the roads will be similarly fast and easy to clear.

Haven't thought far enough ahead to plan supper at this point; we're still working on breakfast (johnny cakes and sausage links). I'm thinking it'll be something not too heavy and not too time-consuming to prepare, given that there's a trip to La Crosse and back on today's schedule, but not sure yet what it'll be. We could always try my late mother-in-law's approach, I guess. She took the Fibber McGee's freezer method to decide what to cook: she'd open the door of her perpetually overstuffed freezer, and supper was whatever hit the floor first. I'm sure something will come to us eventually.

Cyn, keep up the good work on the cigarette-free life! Take jimj's good counsel to heart, and taper down those patches slowly. I watched our daughter struggle through quitting several times, and he's got it right about the physical addiction to the nicotine. It's a tough one to break. I'm thinking of you daily, and sending you strength.

Best wishes for a good Sunday, all. Those of you in the deep freeze, stay warm and be safe.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
Good afternoon all, beautiful day here in FL. Cyn keep up the good work, you're doing a great job! Not sure what dinner will be today, thinking it may be a Chinesse take out day.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
Morning all! Everyone at our house has a cold. Dh is at the store buying cold meds. Not sure about dinner....thinking beans and ham hocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink