Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 02:58 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I don't think I'd mind being snowed in with you cooking lacey!! That sounds so good! I've only made bean soups so far but hopefully the other kinds of soups will become some of my regulars too. I still have to work on DH to consider soup as a meal. He thinks of it as a side and yet it has everything in it a whole dinner could possibly have and more! He will adjust! His whole life has been meat and potatoes but the times they are a changin'!

Ya'll have some really great sounding meals you've been cooking up. I am starting to get anxious to try them. A great way to start out the New Year!

Day 14--2 weeks--no smoking!! It seems like it should be 2 months! Ha! Still isn't easy but it is doable. I think the Nictone Patches or maybe not smoking are contributing to my recent dreams...the last 2 nights the dreams were not my favorite though. I wake up almost tired from such busy/frantic dreams. I'm sure those will lessen too as I wean off the patches or with more "no smoking" time under my belt. The desire to smoke is still going strong but not as strong as 2 weeks ago! They should make tabacco illegal!! Ha! My lungs do feel cleaner and I am starting to smell better. And, oh yes, food continues to taste better too! Even reading about food is better!!

Tonight will definately be something with leftover turkey in it. Our turkey turned out great last night. DH decided to do the leggs and wings seperate and make them pulled turkey for freezing and using for hot turkey and gravy sandwiches in the future. I don't think there was a bit of waste on this turkey!! The dog and cats even got to enjoy the extra skin and fats. So everyone went away happy and full!!
Ditto on being snowed in with Lacey!!!

The dreams are the patches, on a previous attempt I would wake up so tired from dreaming all night, felt like was running all night instead...maybe try taking the patch off before bed...didn't work for me, but you never know...and congrats!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,284 times
Thumbs up I'm in love with a BBQ sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As a very serious bbq person I've got a couple of good bbq sauces one from all the bbq regions. I don't normally give them out but since we're all friends here I guess I can. I fiddle with them from time to time and adjust 'em to who I'm cooking for.
I hope you enjoy!

Espresso and Molasses BBQ sauce
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup very strong black espresso coffee
1 cup hot ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 onion, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons dark molasses
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, or hotter if desired, seeded
2 tablespoons honey-mustard
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
PREPARATION:
•Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in a covered container.
Yield: 1 1/2 - 2 CUPS
Western Carolina BBQ sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon liquid hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot, Texas Pete’s, etc.)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Mix ingredients well. Cook to a slow boil. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Makes about 1 quart of sauce.

Piedmont Sauce
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
½ cup ketchup
½ cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for several days, allowing the flavors to blend.

Western NC Sauce
·3 cups ketchup
·1 cup karo dark syrup
·1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
·1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
·1/4 cup dark brown sugar
·1 tablespoon garlic, minced
·1 tablespoon onion, minced
·1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
·1 tablespoon chili powder
·1 tablespoon salt
·1 teaspoon liquid smoke
·1 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Allow to cool before using

This last one is real good on Baby Back ribs or a Pork Roast.

Peach Bbq Sauce for Pork
o 1 19 oz Can peaches; undrained
o Or 3-4 small peaches
o 1 plum
o 1/4 cup Packed brown sugar
o 1/4 cup Vinegar
o 1/4 cup Catsup or tomato sauce
o 2 tb Soy sauce
o 2 Garlic cloves; minced
o 1 t Mustard powder
o 2 ts Fresh ginger root; minced
o ¼ cup maple syrup
o 2 TBL minced onion
o 1 Chipotle pepper; chopped*
o 1/2 t Hot pepper sauce *
* Adjust heat level to suit.
Put all the ingredients in a blender and run on high speed until smooth. Spoon sauce over meat, basting every 15 minutes with the drippings in pan. If used for outdoor grilling, baste after meat is about half cooked. Continue basting until meat is done.

Lord someone give that man a million rep points!! My mouth is watering Jim!!

And thanks Jax and Lacey for your contributions, but can someone make the decision for me? LOL

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Buy more pork chops and try them all!!! LOL

Old 01-02-2009, 03:37 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Tonight it's liver, bacon and onions.. part of my "have something different" campaign. Also potato and cheese pieroghis. Tomorrow, I will need to start dedicating myself to using up the leftover ham. I'll be making ham tetrazzini and bean soup in the next few days. Then, the leavin's will be ham and pickle salad.
My decorations are coming down and getting super-organized and culled, yet again (since I AM going to be moving this year, damn it), but probably not the tree until tomorrow and Sunday.
Can my hubby eat at your house tonight, he loves liver! I refuse to cook it, was tramatized (sp) as a kid. That was our Fri night meal except during lent and I hated it!

Tonight I am grilling steaks, have leftover mush and onions. Daughter is making some fries and I am having a sweet potato.

Keep up the good work cyn, it's been a year yesterday that my sister quit, so proud of her.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
I'm with you on the liver and onions, Denise. If DH wants it, we go out!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
For dinner tonight its gonna be Tom Yum soup. First time trying the recipe hope it comes out ok.

We are also gonna have a mango, blueberry and pomegranate salad with lime juice

Old 01-02-2009, 03:56 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Yum yum! I love tom yum soup. Sorry for being punny.

I like to steep the broth with the ginger and chiles and lemon grass etc. by letting it bubble away with the lid on for 20 minutes or so, and then straining the broth. Then I put all the other goodies in. I don't like how Thai restaurants give it to you with lots of inedible stuff floating in it.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
So far Murphy has steered clear of me tonight. Extra large ham and pineapple is on the way...

Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Tonight it's liver, bacon and onions.. part of my "have something different" campaign. Also potato and cheese pieroghis. Tomorrow, I will need to start dedicating myself to using up the leftover ham. I'll be making ham tetrazzini and bean soup in the next few days. Then, the leavin's will be ham and pickle salad.
My decorations are coming down and getting super-organized and culled, yet again (since I AM going to be moving this year, damn it), but probably not the tree until tomorrow and Sunday.
I love liver and bacon and onions; as a kid I didnt like it....never hated the taste of liver but my Dad just didnt know how to cook it....he heated up the cast iron pan really hot and dropped the poor quivering pieces of liver and cooked them on high till every trace of meat was gone....it was like shoe leather.
I flour mine in seasoned flour (black pepper mostly) and gently cook them in the bacon drippings, checking to make sure they stay moist....adding sweet onions....lots and lots of onions....and cooking them moist and tender.....then remove all that from the pan and make gravy.....oh boy I love it......terrible for the arteries...but delicious.....I love either calves liver or pork liver or beef liver in that order......now chicken livers are a totally different but no less wonderful treat.

please let me have gobs of wonderful mashed potatoes with that liver, onions bacon and gravy.....maybe some frozen peas on the side. Oh boy!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Nomad - Good for you!!

Cyn - It may be the patches as far as the dreams are concerned, but when I tried to quit - by about day 3 I was having some doozies due to the nicotine withdrawal I guess. Never did try the patches, so it could not have been that. I also tossed and turned and felt almost the way you do when you have a fever and dream. Only happened after day 3 though.

Good for you girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink