Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Hi all, thank you for the good thoughts. Little seems to be doing ok, except for walking around with his hand up in the air. Tonight I think I am going to try to make my own chicken nuggets. Little one can't hold a fork right now so finger food it is.
Nigella made some really good looking "grown-up" chicken nuggets on her show once. I've been meaning to try them, they are baked not fried but looked really crispy.

Tonight we are having left-over beef and mushrooms stewed in a red wine sauce w/ french bread to sop up all that lovely gravy. It'll be perfect because it was 77 yesterday but tonight it is in the 30's with a chance of snow!

Only in Texas do you use your AC one day and your heater the next!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
Tonight, I am having beef stew. It is supposed to be 71 here today, but when the storms hit, the temp is expected to fall fast so I thought stew would ward off the dampness and chill. Crock pot is my favorite friend lately.

I must tell you what I had last night. It was a treat in more ways than one!

My son and his girlfriend cooked dinner for us. He loves to cook and experiments with different variations of foods and recipes.

He chose chicken Alfredo with mushrooms, and green beans and salad. His girlfriend made the salad and it was wonderful, I don't know how she prepared the vinagrete dressing but it was spot on.

It was so very sweet of him to do this, but more importantly, it was a family gathering that blessed us in so many ways. We enjoyed the evening so much that it was 11 p m before they left and dh went to bed! Of course, I insisted that I clean the kitchen after they cooked such a delicious meal!
How special. I am so very much looking forward to the day when we can do things like that. You are very lucky and your family is lucky to have you!!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Nigella made some really good looking "grown-up" chicken nuggets on her show once. I've been meaning to try them, they are baked not fried but looked really crispy.

Tonight we are having left-over beef and mushrooms stewed in a red wine sauce w/ french bread to sop up all that lovely gravy. It'll be perfect because it was 77 yesterday but tonight it is in the 30's with a chance of snow!

Only in Texas do you use your AC one day and your heater the next!
That is what I am thinking of doing. Your beef stew sounds wonderful I would much rather have that. Where is Richardson at Up by dallas? We are just south of Houston and it is supposed to be cold here too tonight. I got spoiled this weekend with the 80 degrees.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
Good morning everyone! It seems that I have missed quite an eventful weekend here. Cynd - hope hubby is better now.

Elston - welcome back - we missed you

movingtohouston - oh poor baby! It so hard when kids get sick or hurt, you just want to make it all go away and feel all better, but we can't. Truly one the hardest things. You said he's doing ok (must have been pretty bad if they gave him painkillers - poor baby!) but how are you? I know your probably exhausted.

We're having meatloaf tonite...by request!

Its also been requested that I make the chicken with elbow macaroni again this week...so any suggestions to flavor that up just a little would be great!
I was thinking of trying it with the rice next time, and not breading the cutlets.....would I just cook them on top of the rice? put them on it raw? and let them bake?

cyn - you must have known when you said you were making it that it would get a response from me.....what is beef stroganoff? LOL

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Yes, Richardson is a suburb on the north border of Dallas.

We'll share the stew if you want to take a 4 hour drive after work..

Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Nic- I am feeling better today. We got home yesterday around 9am. Hubby slept til about 1 then I crashed and slept til about 6pm. Then got a full nights sleep last night. So mostly back to normal. Just a little freaked out can't get the images out of my head you know. (yes it was pretty bad, luckily the best hand surgeon was on call). Yep he is doing pretty good today. He is crashed out in front of the tv watching all his favorite movies. We have a followup appointment thursday to see how it is doing, so we will know more then.

Back on topic....have found a recipe for homemade nuggets using bread crumbs, parm. cheese and italian seasoning. Recipe calls for deep frying, don't really feel like cooking it that way, do you think they would turn out alright if I baked them instead?

Debsi thanks for the thought....not going to make it today.lol

Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 AM

48,127 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Nic- I am feeling better today. We got home yesterday around 9am. Hubby slept til about 1 then I crashed and slept til about 6pm. Then got a full nights sleep last night. So mostly back to normal. Just a little freaked out can't get the images out of my head you know. (yes it was pretty bad, luckily the best hand surgeon was on call). Yep he is doing pretty good today. He is crashed out in front of the tv watching all his favorite movies. We have a followup appointment thursday to see how it is doing, so we will know more then.

Back on topic....have found a recipe for homemade nuggets using bread crumbs, parm. cheese and italian seasoning. Recipe calls for deep frying, don't really feel like cooking it that way, do you think they would turn out alright if I baked them instead?

Debsi thanks for the thought....not going to make it today.lol

If i were going to bake instead of fry I think i would dip them in melted margerine or butter before breading.....(I know it would defeat part of the purpose of not frying.....but it would be less work and just as tasty.)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Thanks elston, that is what I was thinking.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Here Nigella offers a frying method, but she used the baking method on the show, which is what made this recipe appeal to me in the first place.

Recipes : Ritzy Chicken Nuggets : Food Network

Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Movingtohouston...so sorry about your son....kids recover amazingly.

My daughter yesterday fell down her stairs with our grandson (18 mos.) he flew out of her arms and hit the hinge on the door...When I look at him it goes right to my heart his face is so banged up but he is fine...they went tothe ER and had him checked out thoroughly...SHe is pretty bruised but okay...she is the one who just had surgery 3 weeks ago. When it rains it pours.

Tonight's menu...just chicken soup with Orzo....been making a lot of soups lately but they go with anything and it is the one thing my stomach is tolerating.

I will think of all of you when you are eating GOOD things lol.

Glad everyone seems to be on the mend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink