Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times

Advertisements

Army PoohFan - can we get the recipe for the soup? We love soup!

Last night's pasta was great, as was the salad and garlic bread. We were going to slow cook a pot roast but we are going out instead. No complaints here

Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
I love sardines Woof! I've only eaten them on saltines though. How do you make your sandwich? I mean, what type of bread, do you add onion, mustard, any pickle, etc.???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Tonight for dinner I had a sardine sandwich. If I get hungry later, I'll have a little brown rice and squash left over from last night.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Hey friends...I have some old fashioned oatmeal left from my holiday cooking...anyone have a great oatmeal cookie recipe handy? DH just said he'd sure like me to make him some cookies.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I love sardines Woof! I've only eaten them on saltines though. How do you make your sandwich? I mean, what type of bread, do you add onion, mustard, any pickle, etc.???
I always had sardine sandwiches on good crusty sour rye bread with butter! My grandpa and I loved them-and being grandma wouldn't eat them I was his co-conspirator.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Army PoohFan - can we get the recipe for the soup? We love soup!

Last night's pasta was great, as was the salad and garlic bread. We were going to slow cook a pot roast but we are going out instead. No complaints here
HG-it's posted on the Inexpensive Food thread and sounds delicious.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I'm working on a carmelized onion tart (with Dijon and Gruyere).

The onions are taking forever and a day to carmelize...which is why I'm online.

Will try to post a pic later if it comes out well.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Checking in at last, and there's been some mighty good eatin' going on here, as always. We slept in WAAAAAY late, which is highly unusual for us but sure felt good, then went out for our usual Saturday morning visit at our favorite diner. It was late enough that we both wound up opting for hamburgers instead of eggs, and a mighty tasty brunch they made.

Then it was back to work to spend some more time on balance sheet reconciliations, and I made a fair bit of progress. Still plenty to resolve before I can put them to bed, but I'm not feeling as stressed about them as I was when I got home last night. Tomorrow I'll spend a few hours on a couple of the entities, so I can devote all my attention next week to those balance sheets, and hopefully I'll have all my objectives wound up by our deadline.

Gentlearts, you asked about our gumbo - that's one of the spouse's specialties, and if our son knew he had missed a potful of it, we'd never hear the end of it! I don't have all the details and quantities, but I know he starts by making up a good dark roux, adds onions and bell peppers and spices, adds chicken broth, and then starts adding meat. The usual mix includes chunks of chicken, andouille sausage, oysters and/or shrimp, and he lets the chicken and sausage stew for a while, just adding the seafood at the very end so as not to overcook it. Put a couple of spoons full of rice in your bowl (can be white or brown according to preference) sprinkle some file powder over the rice, then spoon that rich spicy goodness over the top and dig in. Yumbo is absolutely correct! I can ask him for the recipe if you want details, but that's the basics.

Got kind of a funny story about andouille sausage, maybe a little off-topic but it still makes us chuckle. A few years ago, we went to one of our favorite little local restaurants for supper, and since it was a chilly winter's evening, we asked the waiter what the soup of the day was. He announced that it was "black bean and ann-dooly" soup, going on to explain that "ann-dooly" was a spicy Cajun sausage. We both nearly choked with the effort not to laugh, ordered our suppers, and enjoyed them a great deal. And because the spouse is a professional-caliber smartass, he left our nice young waiter not one but two tips: he left the usual 20% of the tab as a monetary tip, then added this note at the bottom of the bill: "Here is your second tip from us. Andouille is pronounced 'ahnd-wee', as if you were saying 'and we talked about what sausage to put in the soup'." We still laugh about ann-dooly sausage!

And as for supper tonight, we're having.... I have no earthly clue. I'm still feeling bloated from the hamburger, which was wonderful but a whole lot heavier lunch than I'm accustomed to, and at least at this point, I have absolutely no interest in supper. Knowing me, that'll change in a few hours, but at least for now, I'm more interested in spending an hour or two with my nose in a book than I am in cooking or eating. Will report back later if we ever make up our minds!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:28 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Evening everyone, both older sons have different birthday parties to attend tonight, youngest son helped himself to everything that wasn't nailed down in the refrigerator, so tonight is a fend for yourself kinda night.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Tonight was spaghetti, sweet & hot Italian sausage, garlic bread, and cabernet.

Supposed to snow on & off most of the night, not too bad, 2-4" by morning. Gonna be a good night to curl up with a book, a glass of wine, and drop in at this electronic kitchen table every now and then.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
Default `

Dinner tonight was really good, thank you again Lacey for that easy recipe. Just before the Sea scallops were finished I threw in a T of Sweet Vermouth. It just kissed them with a little sweetness. h laughed when he saw the combination I made up, Sea scallops, cheese pierogies, and sweet red cabbage, fresh sour dough bread and butter, but you know what, I haven't been t the grocery since NY Eve & I am taking Cheapscates advice, I am using up what we have here, and the fact that we are leaving a week from Tues., I want to use things up. I don't throw food away & especially in this economy food is a very valuable commodity.

Have a great night everyone, enjoy your dinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink