Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone!
A huge congrats to MWBW for her bright new star and it is so well deserved! You are a great addition to this thread. I always look forward to reading your posts! Thank you! Also thank you for the lovely complement!
Amber, I have been a little worried as I haven't seen you here and we haven't talked in the last few days. I sure hope all is well---I think I speak for all of us when I say we miss your happy, up-lifting posts! Give my baby boy a big huge for me!!
Ok, so this "artic-blast" is covering most of the U.S. it seems! So where can we run and hide from it?? Yikes! I feel like it's the "blob" and slowly spreading!! It still hasn't hit here completely and I'm freezing. It is in the low 20's right now but of course that is nothing compared to lacey!! It's suppose to go down to single digits in a couple of days....enough already!!
Welcome to our newbies and good to see those back who have been away!
Kelsie, you, your family and your daughter are in my prayers. Thanks for keeping me updated!
I have no ideas for dinner tonight. Nothing is really sounding great or interesting yet---I need more coffee!! I will post whatever I decide on in a bit!
I didn't post my smoke free days yesterday...was going to stop but then today I thought maybe I'll keep it up for a month and that's just a few days away!! So today I am 26 days no smoking! I am nearing the end of my box of patches that I've been cutting in half so that will be the end of the patches once those run out. I have to say the first couple of weeks are no fun and it IS hard to stop but I am so very happy I have. I really am. Thanks everyone for standing behind me here!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
G'morning, all, welcome to the deep freeze! I'm shivering in my living room as the elderly furnace struggles to get the house up close to the 70-degree mark, and dreading tomorrow which is supposed to be even colder. One of these years we're going to have to break down and replace that 45-year-old monster in the basement with one of those new energy-efficient furnaces, maybe even one that can heat the house in under three hours on a day like today. Insulation and double-paned windows can only do so much by themselves.

It'll be another bowl of leftover gumbo eaten in the office breakroom tonight, before heading to class again. The gumbo will be great, but I'm sure not looking forward to another marathon with Mr. Not-A-Comedian. Ah well, this, too, shall pass.

Have a super Wednesday, all, and thanks for all the lovely notes and rep messages!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I didn't post my smoke free days yesterday...was going to stop but then today I thought maybe I'll keep it up for a month and that's just a few days away!! So today I am 26 days no smoking! I am nearing the end of my box of patches that I've been cutting in half so that will be the end of the patches once those run out. I have to say the first couple of weeks are no fun and it IS hard to stop but I am so very happy I have. I really am. Thanks everyone for standing behind me here!
I been trying to quite now for a few years!! Then again I think thats what most of us say. I'm glad to hear you got 26 days! Wow I tried last year and the most I got was 6 hours! I said this new year I would stop.... I never did try the patches thats a good idea... perhaps, i'll give it a try!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM

330 posts, read 970,307 times
Tonight, I'm going out to eat. Going to have some brisket, smoked sausage, okra, and corn.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
I agree Lacey.......he will knock em dead.

Lets see dinner......hummmmm

I have some frozen stuff I want to get rid off. Got some stoffuers chip beef. Dinner this week is not going to be fancy.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Morning all! Hope you are keeping warm, especially those of you in the deep freezer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Well I didnt make the pork chops I defrosted yesterday so that will be supper tonight. They are boneless and pretty thick....not sure how I will make them.....really dont want to dry them out! I have to watch out for that....when the pork is beautiful and lean....sometimes it gets too dry....maybe a gravy would be a good idea. It is such pretty pork...it doesnt need breading ...hmmmmmmmm....any ideas? (DP has been on a cream of mushroom soup kick for lunches and last night for supper.....so the old onion soup and crm soup would be redundant.
I have the same decision to make today - was considering using the cacciatore sauce method, browning the chops first then cooking in the tomatoey stuff.... any opinions on that?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Last night we had a very lovely (and extremely sinful) dinner of linguine finished in my dutch oven which contained:

4 pieces of bacon, cut up and fried until fat rendered, add
2 minced shallots and 6 cloves minced garlic and half a pound of shrimp, and old bay/chili powder/red pepper flakes, zest of 1 lemon, and 1/2 stick of butter, stir till shrimp is cooked
Add a small head of shredded napa cabbage, stir until wilted
Add the pasta and the other half of the stick of butter. Squeeze juice of lemon over top.

I'm not proud of myself...but I'd do it again.
It was as delicious as anything with a stick of butter should be!

Oh diet, where art thou? Healthy lunch today at least, and starting off with oatmeal.

Tonight for dinner - and this is per hubby's request - chorizo, eggs, and tortillas with hot sauce. I'll probably pass on eating much chorizo, it's too greasy even for me.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Linguine with Salmon and Scallops with tomatoes, fennel, and a dash of white wine for dinner tonight if I can manage to roast the fennel properly ! Last time I rather "over-caramelised" my fennel !

Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas everywhere you turn. Oops wrong month you say? The snow sure is pretty coming down gently falling on the ground. Now I know we won't get near the amount poor Lacey has this winter.

centerd65 welcome to a great thread!

gym rat hope you hit the powerball!

MWBW I have insulation, Pella windows and a newer furnance times like these nothing seems to get this old farmhouse toasty.

John we all know we need to stop it is just hunkering down to do it. I take 2 steps forward to cutting down then one step back it seems lately. But I am not giving up I will get it done......................... one day.

We are also having a heatwave from last night skbs at 13° I was surprised we didn't have a 2 hour delay today really because of the cold. Suppose to get even colder the next 2 days so maybe they are waiting for one of those days to delay??

Tonight we are having subs and salad I got all the fixings for a big ole salad last night. Need to get some chicken salad made today for the mini croissants I picked up too. When I was at the higher end grocery store last night they said they have been having so many requests for Panko. Must be a lot in the area watching Food Network huh? YLisa maybe you should ask one of your stores if they can get it too! Found out what some on here were calling cannellini beans we call white kidney beans up here. I love finding out what others call foods that we seem to have different names for. Sure be easier to have the same names all across our country but it would be a dull learning experience eh?

I'll check back later!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Well between elston and southdown I decided on pork chops for dinner. Trouble is these are not thick or thin just average and the last two packages I defrosted and cooked were not my favorite. They are just not the best pork shops I guess. Tuff! So lacey, can I use the same method you told elston about with just average thickness pork chops? Also, if I decided to use a cream of mushroom soup could I cook them long enough to make them tender without drying them out? I just need to use them up and it's my last package but it sure would be nice to have them taste better then the previous ones! I just quick fried the previous ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink