Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,302,985 times

Advertisements

I'm not going out to anywhere in this weather! Brrrrrrr. My poor heaters are running non-stop right now and so far this year that hasn't been the case. It's not getting much over 20 here today. I read where it's suppose to be 80 in CA today. I guess there are some times I do miss CA! Ha!
Amber, I am so happy you and DH enjoyed those pork chops too. I honestly can't imagine anyone not loving them!!
You are correct Nomadicus...lots of dental work here on this thread lately. I have a tooth that just started hurting a few days ago and it isn't nice at all. My teeth have always been so important to me and in CA I had gone to the same dentist for 35 years--every six months. He was like part of the family! When I had extensive dental work done he let me pay on it monthly. It made getting the work done much easier. I haven't established a dentist here yet and know they will require payments as the work is done so I've put it off. Now I'm sorry! When I read the prices others like younglisa have had to pay it scares me to death! Yikes! But have to get it done.......

Dinner has not yet been decided and once I figure it out I will post!

28 days--no smoking!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm not going out to anywhere in this weather! Brrrrrrr. My poor heaters are running non-stop right now and so far this year that hasn't been the case. It's not getting much over 20 here today. I read where it's suppose to be 80 in CA today. I guess there are some times I do miss CA! Ha!
Amber, I am so happy you and DH enjoyed those pork chops too. I honestly can't imagine anyone not loving them!!
You are correct Nomadicus...lots of dental work here on this thread lately. I have a tooth that just started hurting a few days ago and it isn't nice at all. My teeth have always been so important to me and in CA I had gone to the same dentist for 35 years--every six months. He was like part of the family! When I had extensive dental work done he let me pay on it monthly. It made getting the work done much easier. I haven't established a dentist here yet and know they will require payments as the work is done so I've put it off. Now I'm sorry! When I read the prices others, like younglisa, have had to pay it scares me to death! Yikes! But have to get it done.......

Dinner has not yet been decided and once I figure it out I will post!

28 days--no smoking!!
My Sis in San Fran just rubbed my nose in 70..... I told I would be there by 8pm.... I think she thinks I am SERIOUS .... LOL...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
Just spoke to my grands and they have 2 hr delayed opening in NJ.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,996,081 times
I Think it may get above zero but not above 10 degrees today and tomorrow.....it is less than minus 14 right now. I should plan a dutch oven...slow cooked meal for today! It Is COLD. How cold is it.....says Ed McMahon.....Its sooooo cold that..................................!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Brrrr, another cold one, like most of the rest of the country's midsection. Still way below zero here, and they've called off school in most of the districts, I think. Poor birthday girl STILL doesn't get to take her cupcakes to school today! Oh, well, we've got a fine birthday supper of fried chicken, fried potatoes, corn and chocolate cake planned for her, which hopefully will ameliorate some of her disappointment. I opted against waiting up last night for the cake to cool enough to frost and did it this morning instead.

I copied off Elston's pork chop recipe, and the next time the spouse allows me the chance to play in the kitchen, I'm going to experiment on him with it. Cyn's and Amber's great reviews have me convinced. Of course, it may be weeks before I get another chance in the kitchen, but I'm patient.

We're supposed to be up in the teens or even twenties tomorrow - I may have to get out the shorts. It's such a Wisconsin thing to see people walking around in shorts and winter parkas... happens every time the temps get up close to 30.

Happy Friday to all, and stay warm today.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,845,822 times
MWBW-same here in MN-T shirt time when it hits above 30. Not me tho.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,456 times
Isn't it crazy? Our high today is around 75, some of you are in negative numbers, I heard there is like 100 degrees difference in temp with in the US now. It sure is a big country.

Wow, you guys were chatty last night. So many pages at night...

I have no idea about dinner. I am getting bored. I don't want to cook another steak for at least a couple of weeks. I'm thinking braised lamb shanks...it'll be a breeze in my pressure cooker, or would it be better in the oven? Does anyone have a good recipe?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Isn't it crazy? Our high today is around 75, some of you are in negative numbers, I heard there is like 100 degrees difference in temp with in the US now. It sure is a big country.

Wow, you guys were chatty last night. So many pages at night...

I have no idea about dinner. I am getting bored. I don't want to cook another steak for at least a couple of weeks. I'm thinking braised lamb shanks...it'll be a breeze in my pressure cooker, or would it be better in the oven? Does anyone have a good recipe?
I do them Morrocan-style, and Nigella's recipe here is a good version...or use Harissa paste in place of the spices.

Aromatic lamb-shank stew with couscous: Recipes: UKTV Food

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
Liver sounds A-MAZ-ING!!! How do you make it? I've never made liver...My mom used to. I miss it. The Chef Boyfriend just gave me a disgusted look and made a weird noise when I mentioned liver.... Guess liver's out.

It's a cheap and easy meal. We usually use pork liver but sometimes I just take chicken or turkey liver. Clean it well, then put p+s over it, roll in flour. Melt butter or oil in pan and toss the liver in it. Brown from every side but don't make it too hot for too long or it'll get too dry.
Onion rings baked in a bit of butter.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
John in Scranton, I have had the deli section cut me off a thick piece of ham before, or I have bought a ham steak and cubed it, or I have bought one of those small hams in the hot dog/lunch meat section, and cubed part of it and saved the rest for sandwiches. I prefer any of those options to using deli sliced ham - in a pot of soup or beans, you really want to have a piece of ham you can CHEW on, not just some bitty slices that disappear into the liquid.

I did not make the chorizo and eggs AGAIN last night. I am a bad wife! Just kidding, he's not mad. We continued the carb loading binge we've been on all week and had toast with avocado spread on it and followed it up with a bagel each and 5 meatballs from the last batch I made and froze.

Must. Stop. Eating. Carbs.

OK, so I'm sure I'll finally make the chorizo tonight, right? Maybe I shouldn't say so since that keeps leading to chorizo launch failure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink