Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:41 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,152,919 times

Advertisements

YL I tried to rep ya grrrrr..... but just wanted to say good memory You beat me to it ha ha ha! RED VELVET CAKE was written on a pad infront of my computer 1/23/09...SHHHH it's my secret I have to take notes

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,550,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
YL I tried to rep ya grrrrr..... but just wanted to say good memory You beat me to it ha ha ha! RED VELVET CAKE was written on a pad infront of my computer 1/23/09...SHHHH it's my secret I have to take notes
I'm out of sticky notes and now my life is in turmoil... But I still have fudge.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I'm out of sticky notes and now my life is in turmoil... But I still have fudge.
YOU HAVE US TOO NOMAD!!

Last edited by amberbaby27; 01-22-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
hahaha! That's funny/tragic Cyn. DH gets mad at me because I bring back Trader Joe's food. Last time all I brought was a box of crackers and a loaf of my favorite sandwich bread - TJ's cracked wheat sourdough - and DH acted like I was the silliest person alive. Men just don't understand the important things in life.

Ya mean I have to cross good friends, good food, good wine, good times off my 'important' list and start over ?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,448,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Tonight's dinner extension was butter pecan ice cream with a topping of heavy chocolate syrup. A small bowl. I did show some restraint.
AHHHHhhhhhhh! Yummmmmy! My favorite ice cream! Oh and the chocolate syrup...perfection!

Tonite I made smoked sausages wrapped in swiss cheese slices served with black-eyed peas & bacon and baked potatoes. Cheesecake for desert. I think the cholesterol is going to be erping out of my pores...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Ya mean I have to cross good friends, good food, good wine, good times off my 'important' list and start over ?

Don't you dare!!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,331,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Never! Debsi just forgot one word: SOME. What she really meant to say was "SOME men just don't understand the important things in life."

Fortunately, the guys in this thread have a keen grasp of what's important, which is why we all get along so well together!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Congratulations to our very own Kats! My, but that purty star makes your eyes twinkle extra bright - you deserve it, gal! I sure hope your tummy settles down in a hurry so you can come back and join the party here!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Hi there!

I have been reading this thread for a while to get ideas for dinners. Thanks to all of you!

This one really sparked my palate and so I went out and bought a pork roast which I want to do tonight. My question is do you have to put any liquid in the pan when you put it in the oven or does it make it's own? Do you put any seasonings on it?

Thanks!!!!
Kimba, I am so sorry not to have answered your question earlier! I usually only have the opportunity to check CD and post early in the morning before work, or after I get home in the evening; I hope you didn't delay your pork roast awaiting the reply.

In our experience, as long as the roaster pan has a good, tightly fitting cover, no extra liquid is needed. A fair amount of juice will cook out of the pork, and the vegetables will also yield up some liquid, and with a lid on, that is usually plenty to keep the meat moist and tender.

I should also note, though, that we don't generally make gravy to go with pork roasts, and if you like to fix gravy to go with your roast meat & veg, you may need to add some liquid at the end. Since you never really know how much juice will cook out of a roast, I think it's better to wait until you take it out of the oven and transfer the meat and veg to platter and bowl. Then you can skim off any excess fat, bring the liquid (still in the roaster pan) to a boil on the stovetop and make gravy from it. If there's not enough liquid to make gravy, add some chicken broth (or white wine, if you're feeling decadent), deglaze the pan with that and make your gravy.

I hope your roast pork & root vegetables are fabulous! Do pop back in and tell us how they came out, and join in the conversations here; we're all nice, we don't bite, and it's a great opportunity to learn new cooking styles and ideas from each other. Hope to see you here again soon!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Well, I guess that having made three posts without once mentioning what we had for supper, I'd best mend my ways and get back on topic forthwith.

As planned, we ate at Nick's, which has been a State Street fixture for probably longer than I've been alive, judging from the decor, and it was simply wonderful, as always. Never fancy, never pretentious, not a huge menu, but every single thing they serve is wonderful.

I had been salivating all day thinking about Reuben sandwiches, and I was just positive that that's what I'd order.... then a waitress walked by with a hamburger for the next table over, and I was seduced over to the dark side of the force. Nick's hamburgers are done to perfection (and they really understand what "medium-rare" means), juicy, just the right size, with lovely toasted buns and crisp fresh toppings, and I knew that there was just no way I was going to forgo one of those beefy, juicy bits of heaven, no matter how good the Reubens are there.

So I wound up having a patty melt, a hamburger patty on toasted pumpernickel bread with grilled onions and Swiss cheese, with a cup of seriously wonderful split pea soup. And then, just because it's Thursday night, the spouse and I split a piece of home-made blueberry pie with ice cream. He turned his nose up at the crust (his favorite is the one I make from his mom's recipe) but I thought it was all wonderful. Fabulous supper, and I didn't have to wash up afterward!

Then after supper, we strolled across State Street to the Overture Center for Bobby McFerrin's performance, and we were just simply blown away. Oh my dear goodness, but that man has the gift of music. To begin with, his voice encompasses four octaves, which is about two more than most of us mere mortals are blessed with, and he has perfect pitch, along with an unbelievable gift for improvisation. And he loves to get the audience involved.

At one point, he started by jumping up and down in a single spot on the stage, repeating a single note and gesturing to the audience to repeat it. The 1,500 or so of us figured out fairly readily that we should sing that note each time he jumped. Then he jumped a foot to the right and sang a note a whole step higher in pitch. Again, we caught on, and when he jumped in that spot, sang the appropriate note. In such a manner, he got us to sing an entire octave. Then he started jumping back and forth, directing 1,500 people to follow the melody he was jumping out. Then, while doing that, he began improvising a totally different melody that went PERFECTLY with the melody that he was jumping around directing the audience to sing.

At another point, he directed and performed one of the most amazing renditions of Gounod's Ave Maria that I have ever heard. If you're familiar with the piece, you probably know that the soaring melody of the actual Ave Maria is laid over a complex and intricate Bach organ prelude. McFerrin sang - SANG - the Bach part, which encompasses at least three octaves, while directing the audience in singing the Ave Maria. Absolutely incredible!

Wonderful, wonderful evening, and I was sorry when it ended - but I won't be sorry to get into bed! So g'night, friends, see you in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.