Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,220,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
does anyone have a recipe for pernil(cuban roast pork)? BF is a Newyorican, I know she loves that dish, thought I would give it a whirl, any ideas?
I don't have a recipe but you may can get a boar's head whole one at Publix deli...Just a thought...More time to visit instead of cooking..

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,829,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
My local grocery has been having sales on the Angus beef. The T-bones were only 5.99/lb. Nice thick cuts so I bought 2. DD & I spilt one. I'm wondering if it's a lower grade of meat because the flavor is poor. I seasoned one with kosher salt and some steak seasoning and grill it medium rare and it was just bland. It was kind of dry like I had cut it to soon but I let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Any thoughts?
must be an inferior grade of beef, how about marinating it if you have anymore?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:23 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,205,956 times
Kshe, I Googled it and found quite a few recipes. I have no idea if they are any good. I will keep looking for you!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Kshe, I Googled it and found quite a few recipes. I have no idea if they are any good. I will keep looking for you!
thats the thing, cyn, I have never made it before, so I dont know if they are any good either! I am hoping someone that knows how to make it will wander in, and give me a clue.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,752,447 times
Quote:
must be an inferior grade of beef, how about marinating it if you have anymore?
I do have one left and I am going to marinate it but I've never marinated a T-bone so I will need some expertise from you wonderful Foodie people.

I'm still wondering if there are different grades and if so, shouldn't it be on the label?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I don't have a recipe but you may can get a boar's head whole one at Publix deli...Just a thought...More time to visit instead of cooking..
so appreciate that, I have never seen it my Publix, but that doesnt mean its not there!
One of the things BF and I have always loved to do is visit, gossip, and drink wine in my kitchen while i am cooking, just wanted to do it one more time.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I do have one left and I am going to marinate it but I've never marinated a T-bone so I will need some expertise from you wonderful Foodie people.

I'm still wondering if there are different grades and if so, shouldn't it be on the label?
yes, it should be on the label, or ask the butchers! Here is a good marinade for beef;
3/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
teaspoon minced garlic
tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Marinate for at least an hour, turning steak occasionally.
Hope this helps, I use this recipe all the time! Simple, but good.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:

It should have a USDA grade on the label. Are the steaks marbled? Every so often we have gotten a not so good steak. I think it depends sometimes on the individual beef not the breed or finish...the worst meat I ever got was supposed to have been the best ever by grades and standards. It was locally farm raised where I worked. Best feed and breeding...Best meat we ever had was from a brown swiss hereford cross. I never buy meat based on marketing hype...There are marketing organizations for more than one breed....with my background in raising and feeding beef I don't listen to the marketers...The appearance of the steaks with marbling is what I go by and even then ever so often I'm dissapointed. The last time is was with beautiful rib eyes...fom a quality market...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
so appreciate that, I have never seen it my Publix, but that doesnt mean its not there!
One of the things BF and I have always loved to do is visit, gossip, and drink wine in my kitchen while i am cooking, just wanted to do it one more time.
It is used on Cuban sandwiches...hope it works for you...one way or the other...you may even find a recipe at Publix...they give so many away on the racks at the front of the store...

Old 01-29-2009, 12:36 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,752,447 times
Quote:
yes, it should be on the label, or ask the butchers! Here is a good marinade for beef;
3/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
teaspoon minced garlic
tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Marinate for at least an hour, turning steak occasionally.
Hope this helps, I use this recipe all the time! Simple, but good.
Thanks Kshe!! Tried to rep ya but I have to spread the love around first. I really have to go visit a neighboor around here to I can straighten my reps up. LOL

I took the last steak out of the freezer this morning and I have all the ingredients already for you recipe so I'll put it together as soon as I get home. It should be to cold tonight to grill.

Maybe some roasted garlic potatoes to go with it. Now, what veggies do I have?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink