Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times

Advertisements

Tonight is Honey and Oats Blenders Cereal!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Wow, A+ for these recipes. I have never made French onion soup at home but I am thinking that with this recipe I may try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
skbs: sending warm thoughts & hugs your way.

elston: I am reading the manual right now. On mine the Convect Bake is for your cake and cookie baking (which you all know I am not ALLOWED to do)
Baking w Convection (lower oven only)

Enter your normal baking temp. Control automatically reduces the temp by 25 degrees (even though normal baking temp. is displayed. Convect fan starts after oven is on 5 mins.

Roasting

When convection roasting, cooking time must be set before temp.
If recipe requires a preheated oven, add 15 mins. to cooking time programmed.
It is not nec. to preheat when convect roasting large cuts of meats.

It makes me crazy elston, it is sup. to be faster but I tell you, I cannot roast a chicken by convection and not have it bloody. I am finding it easier just to use the regular roasting method.

Hi Jessie, last night's meal was super easy. There are just the 2 of us, so this is what I did.

FRENCH ONION SOUP

20 oz. of rich Beef Stock (broth could be used but it will not be as rich & full bodied)
2 c of thinly sliced Vidallia (sp) onion
1/4 c room temp. unsalted butter
1 T oo
1 T Cognac (I used Courvoisier V.S.O.P.)
1 T Sherry
1/2 t dried thyme
Slices of French bread (toasted)
1/2 c shredded Le Gruyere cheese

Caramelize onions in butter & oil, stirring until golden, on low 12-15 mins. (do not burn)
Add stock, Cognac, Sherry, Thyme
Cover partially and simmer 2 hrs. for the flavors to marry.

Toast slices of French bread, ladle soup into broiler proof bowls
Put toast slices on top of soup add Gruyere cheese, broil until cheese melts. Delicious.

Cornish Hens

Rinse hens with Kosher salt and pat dry
Make a paste with 1/2 lb room temp. sweet butter, 1 T dried Tarragon, 1 T ground Sage, 1/2 Greek Seasoning, 1/4 T Bell's Poultry Seasoning, 1 clove of minced garlic

Spread mixture all over the hens and under the skin. Put on a rack in roasting pan. Insert 2 halves of fresh lemons inside the cavity.

Roast @450 for 1 hr. or an internal temp. of 150, let rest 10-15 mins.

Mashed Potatoes With Roasted Shallots

Boil 4 Yukon Gold potatoes 12-15 minutes. Slice shallots thin and brown in unsalted butter. Drain potatoes, put pan back on burner to dry the potatoes for 1 min. Rice potatoes with potato ricer, add softened butter, warm half & half, s & p & roasted shallots.

Grilled Asparagus

Heat cast iron skillet to hot. Drizzle oo, s & p, garlic powder, & Greek Seasoning over asparagus. Grill asparagus, turning occasionally for 6 mins.

Have a wonderful afternoon everyone.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
You all make so many really great sounding dishes....and you make them sound easy and just like an everyday meal! I sure wish it all came that easy for me. Cooking is a job! I sure enjoy reading all that you all cook but for me it is a job---period. Once in awhile I get into what I am making and actually enjoy it...sigh....just not often enough! So I guess I am ready to do a road trip going to each one of your homes to sample all of your wonderful dinners!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Hey Cyn I will be so glad when you come back to post more. You are doing a great job BUT you are missed!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
The Burgundy red wine beef stew turned out very tender, we didn't even need a knife to cut the beef. I ladled this over wide flat egg noodles. H soaked up the gravy with the leftover French bread from last night. I have enough left over for another night, probably next week.
When dh comes home from work this evening it will be hot pastrami sandwiches on rye with a Kosher dill pickle.

Cyn, time for a road trip in Spring you are not that far from me.

I hope everyone has a great night.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
OT: I would like to thank all of you that have given me my reps for the last couple of weeks, it really is appreciated. Thank you, kelsie

Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Have jalapenos, need to add acorn squash....

Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Jessie, my liquor cabinet looks like an ABC store. If you have a discount store by you, p/u one bottle at a time, and before you know it you have a stacked cabinet and the ingredients to make any recipe. Ex., I always have Marsala wine in the cabinet (it does not have to be refrigerated after opening), so if I am having unexpected company, it takes 20 mins. to make up chicken Marsala. Your company thinks that you have been cooking all day. Capers stored in the freezer in Food Saver Bags, chick. broth, white dry wine, fresh lemons and sweet butter 20 mins. later Chicken Piccata.

I know where I wanna go for dinner

Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Have jalapenos, need to add acorn squash....
Don't forget the bacon.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
Evening all..HG, best of luck with the interview, fingers crossed. SKBS, karma coming your way.

Tonight we had ribeye steaks with leftover lingunni and clam sauce from last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink