Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Mr. L's brother passed away at 39 and the amount of food that was left everyday was mind blowing. Everything from milk, butter, casseroles, hams, roasts, cakes-there was no way we could eat it all but it served us well. Also-we would come home to the house sparkling, laundry done, tables set up, beds made as the house was full. It's the little things that mean a lot.
Yes indeed, it goes to show you that the little things really do mean a lot. Especially in this economy, we are all trying to do things that don't cost a lot monetarily. The support that you mention is priceless.

Also, have you ever thought about what really makes a great meal? It's the ingredient of love. I watch Top Chef and one of the contestants knew that her dish was not up to par. She told the judges that she threw in some extra love to try to compensate for the taste. I totally got what she was trying to communicate. I know that when my heart is not into a meal that I prepare that it is only so-so.

So we all need to be reminded to add in a dash of love in each and every meal that we prepare as food not only fills our tummies but it fuels our souls too!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
That is so true!!!! Thank you.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Kats know you will-Happy Birthday to Mom. Send cake (only kidding).
On it's way!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:38 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
kelsie in my whole county I can only think of 1 station that still pumps the gas. Even there they have one island that is self serve. The pain in the rear end now is most places went to pay before you pump when gas prices got close to $4 per gallon. They never changed their policies when the price came back down. Wow parallel parking is a requirement for passing the license test here too.

crazy folks that don't have money are gambling to try to get some so they can help the economy. Before we got lottery tickets here we had a pool at work somebody drove to IL or OH (see what aging does) to get tickets each week. Now that was crazy.

burdell I agree about the fender bender deal! We have a city near Indy that is putting those round abouts in~~~ can't stand them. I dislike them on college campuses we have been to for XC meets.

kats thanks for sharing yur pics!

gym rat & el borracho that is just wrong rubbing in us northerner's faces you are grilling out.

George you are talking about Carla on TC! You should join us on the TC thread we are all pulling for her to win it.

Lacey very smart to meet with the nutritionist. You don't want me to tell ya what my kids said to do about gas.

Our supper was superb! Now after reading Nomad's review on kshe's pork loin I need to go back and copy that down to try.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
Lots going on here all afternoon - I feel like a slacker not being around! We went to an event for our favorite repertory theater group here (American Players Theatre in Spring Green) that took up a good bit of the afternoon, then grocery shopping, then supper prep, and the day was gone before I knew it.

Trying out manicotti tonight for the first time; kind of futzy with the stuffing part, messy, too, but at least the ingredients looked good. And it's smelling pretty yummy in the oven (could also be the half-dozen cloves of garlic that I'm roasting in olive oil to schmear on the bread...). Hope it tastes good, because it's clearly not a one-night meal for two people; there's two nights' more worth that went into the freezer instead of the oven. Eh, the worst that can happen is that we wind up not overeating for a change, so no worries.

Have a good evening, foodies all, and those who have been under the weather, all the best for a speedy recovery.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Just as my eggs hit the olive oil,peppers,onions and garlic-cell phone rings, our son-so dinner was cool eggs, warm spinach salad but hey it;s my baby calling.

Nite all-time for TV and down.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
<grin> Lacey, that's such a mixed blessing, isn't it?? Sometimes when that happens to me, I just say "hey, so glad you could join me for supper, you don't mind if I munch in the background while we talk, do you?" but only if it's my kids, and only if I'm starving. For anyone else, I'm polite.

Manicotti came out pretty well, though not as interesting as I had hoped. Spouse found the filling a trifle bland, despite the fact that the ricotta cheese was enhanced with chopped mushrooms, spinach and garlic all sauteed together in olive oil. I'm debating possible ways to jazz it up, if we decide to try it again. Since it seems that one batch makes three suppers' worth for the two of us, I'm thinking that next time I'll divide the filling into three portions and add a different enhancement to each, to see if we can come up with something that's a bit more interesting. I was thinking Italian sausage crumbles as one addition, spouse suggested feta cheese for another, and perhaps fresh-grated Parmesan and some toasted pine nuts in the third. We'll see. Could be that by the time we get through the third meal's worth that is currently in the freezer, we'll both be heartily sick of it in any form and it won't get made again at all. Which is ok, too, of course.

Looks to me as though Cyn's dinner table is on the verge of reaching another milestone: unless all our regulars go on strike or something, I predict that this thread will have 25,000 posts at some point in the next 24 hours. And may I be the first to thank you for inviting us to sup with you this way, Cyn - your virtual table is one that I look forward to joining each day. Here's to another 25,000 yet to come!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
MWBW maybe you should invite some of those kids that come to visit to share the leftovers. Or perhaps kicking up the sauce a bit with the leftovers to give it some flavor bite?

Wow 25,000 posts that will be something! I will probably miss it have a busy, busy day tomorrow with no breather until around 9pm.

Lacey I would eat cold or warm food too when my oldest calls home BTDT.

Last edited by Jaxson; 02-22-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times
Filet migon steak, salad, and a baked potatao with sour cream, cheese, butter, and bacon bits. Wish I could eat it all again

Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
I made bowtie pasta with a homemade meat sauce. To make the meat sauce, I browned some onions and garlic, added some dried oregano and crushed tomatoes, and then cut up some salami and cappicola ham to be added to the sauce. After I let some of the fat render out of the meats, I added some jarred tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Eating this with a side salad will fill me; the meat sauce is hearty and very satisfying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink