Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 08:00 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
You know what? I haven't fried chicken in about three years. I love how it tastes, but have... taken fried foods out of our lives here at home.

We eat it out every once in a while, but I just don't fry anything here at home anymore. As good as it is. Now, really, I fry things, I just don't deep fry them anymore.

I will fry things in olive oil, etc...

Wonder whats for dinner tonight at my house? I had chocolate coffee for breakfast, and it was nothing but gggggggrrreat!!!
I generally don't fry much either---but every once in a while I get the
fried chicken request. Every thing else in the house is only done with olive oil.( oh yeah....I also will make french fries on occassion)

Chocolate coffee sounds so yummy!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times
Hello everyone! Hubby is cooking again, don't know what got into him, but I'm not complainig! We are having company this weekend so he is making crab legs and scallops wrappedd in bacon. I am going to make a salad and not what sure for a starch yet.

Where's nic been?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Thumbs up It is sounding delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Hello everyone! Hubby is cooking again, don't know what got into him, but I'm not complainig! We are having company this weekend so he is making crab legs and scallops wrappedd in bacon. I am going to make a salad and not what sure for a starch yet.

Where's nic been?
Sounds delicious! It also sounds as if Rice or rice pilaf would go perfectly with it. (Even the "Near East" Brand of pilaf. I don't think I would go Rice-a Roni....but I could get away with it as my DP likes it.) The easier the meal, the more time you have to enjoy your company.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
You know what? I haven't fried chicken in about three years. I love how it tastes, but have... taken fried foods out of our lives here at home.
There was a recipe for not fried fried chicken I tried once. I think it was in Cooking With Rosie. She was one of Oprah's diet chefs at some point.
I'll see if I can find the recipe because it was a good one and the chicken was fabulous. Tasted like the real deal without all the fat.

ooh edit: I probably should mention I had Beef Stroganoff with pasta and peas for dinner tonight.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
There was a recipe for not fried fried chicken I tried once. I think it was in Cooking With Rosie. She was one of Oprah's diet chefs at some point.
I'll see if I can find the recipe because it was a good one and the chicken was fabulous. Tasted like the real deal without all the fat.
That would be great! Thanks. We'll be watching for it. I try to stay away from frying as much a possible and when I do fry I usually use olive oil.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:34 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
Ha! It sounds like nobody's original Friday night dinner plans worked! Ours fell through too. We ended up going to a local brewery for happy hour and had some beers and some calamari. When we got home, we didn't feel like cooking the linguine and clams so we made a frozen pizza (doctored it up with red onion, green pepper, and garlic) instead!

So tonight or tomorrow will be the linguine and clams, and Monday is going to be corned beef and cabbage (even though that is apparently not traditionally Irish)

wktully -- hope you like the stir fry! I kept my usual sauce (didn't do the lemon one) and it was so good!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That would be great! Thanks. We'll be watching for it. I try to stay away from frying as much a possible and when I do fry I usually use olive oil.
ha! I've unearthed it!

Light vegetable oil cooking spray
6 Chicken drumsticks, skin removed
3 whole chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
3 1/2 cups of ice water
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Coat a backing sheet with 3 sprays of the vegetable oil
Put the chicken in a large bowl with the ice water. Put the yogurt into a medium bowl. Set both bowls aside. Apparently the success of this recipe is to make sure that both the chicken and the yogurt are very cold. This helps the bread coating to adhere better and makes it crispy like fried chicken.
Toss all the breading ingredients into a large, tightly sealing plastic bag. Seal and shake well to mix.
Remove 2 pieces of chicken from the ice water. Roll each piece in the yogurt. Put the chicken in the plastic bag, reseal, and shake to coat thoroughly. Transfer the breaded chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process until all the chicken is breaded. Spray chicken lightly with vegetable oil spray.
Place the baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour, turning the pieces every 20 minutes to allow even browning.
Serve hot or at room temperature.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Sounds delicious. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Sounds delicious. Thanks.
You're welcome.

It was pretty yum, I must admit, even though it's a lot of messing about.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
ha! I've unearthed it!

Light vegetable oil cooking spray
6 Chicken drumsticks, skin removed
3 whole chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
3 1/2 cups of ice water
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup dried Italian bread crumbs
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Coat a backing sheet with 3 sprays of the vegetable oil
Put the chicken in a large bowl with the ice water. Put the yogurt into a medium bowl. Set both bowls aside. Apparently the success of this recipe is to make sure that both the chicken and the yogurt are very cold. This helps the bread coating to adhere better and makes it crispy like fried chicken.
Toss all the breading ingredients into a large, tightly sealing plastic bag. Seal and shake well to mix.
Remove 2 pieces of chicken from the ice water. Roll each piece in the yogurt. Put the chicken in the plastic bag, reseal, and shake to coat thoroughly. Transfer the breaded chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process until all the chicken is breaded. Spray chicken lightly with vegetable oil spray.
Place the baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour, turning the pieces every 20 minutes to allow even browning.
Serve hot or at room temperature.
Do you dry off the chicken when you take it out of the ice water and then put it in the yogurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink