Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times

Advertisements

Hang in there vpcats. I am sure there will be someone coming to your rescue here. I know one poster already is coming to your rescue with the veggie ideas and I know more will follow!! I don't know much about cholestrol issues so I can't give any suggestions but there will be more ideas to come I am sure!

Thanks lasey--see I learn something new everyday!! Mangia!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
You eat like that a lot?

Is this German cuisine? It sounds good but really heavy.

BTW, I'm another that needs step by step detail and then more detail. I am sooo bad, but sooooooooooo bad in the kitchen, you have no idea.

No we don't eat that often but as I used the "fat free" minute steaks it's no problem. I'm glad we don't have to watch what we eat that closely. Moreover I never add cream to the sauce I only saw it when my friend prepared it and amended the recipe a bit. So it's only spices and some meat and the mozzarella cheese. But it's soooo good!

It's not typically German but my friend who gave me the recipe had a small restaurant in our town and they sold it there with all other German dishes.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
VPCats-there are little changes you can make to some of these. Use low fat cheeses (or part skim), fat-free or low fat creams/milk for sauces. I use Smart Balance instead of butter (even tho hubby doesn't like it). Spices-a saviour instead of salt also mustard in sauces. Ground turkey instead of ground beef - but I use very lean beef. Skinless chicken. Also low fat mayo.

Little changes add up to results.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
VPCats-there are little changes you can make to some of these. Use low fat cheeses (or part skim), fat-free or low fat creams/milk for sauces. I use Smart Balance instead of butter (even tho hubby doesn't like it). Spices-a saviour instead of salt also mustard in sauces. Ground turkey instead of ground beef - but I use very lean beef. Skinless chicken. Also low fat mayo.

Little changes add up to results.
Hi Lacey.... Yes, I do buy all the skinless, low fat, skim type things but since I don't cook, my bf does, and he's skinny as a pencil and has no health issues that we know of YET (at the rate he's going he will), he makes all this good, fattening, oily, unhealthy stuff.

I don't want to become the cook in the house so I think I'll cook some of these recipes once in a while and freeze leftovers for myself later. He can cook his own food if he misses it enough, or we just go out or get take out.

He cooks enough because we take our lunches the next day but I'd like to cut out evening meals so that's why I want to make my own and use the leftovers for lunch next day, and he can do the same with his.

I wonder if I have anything in the freezer that I can make a ton of today with some of these recipes.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 AM

OK.. H E L P.... :-)

I have a 2.5 lb Beef Round Eye Round Roas (I'm reading the label here...loll)
that I bought a couple of weeks ago.

What can I do with that? Crock Pot? Right now it's frozen so I would leave it in the Crock pot tomorrow morning for dinner...

Unless we have other ideas where I can use it for today. :-))

Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 AM

486 posts, read 982,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Macci, welcome to the "What's for dinner" thread. I love the sound of your hamburger dinner. Definitely my kind of dinner and a new twist that sounds yummy. Do you put the potatoes and everything on top of the hamburgers? About how much of everything do you use? The potatoes are raw or cooked first? These may sound like silly questons but you don't know me....I require detail. Sure would love to try this. Thanks and keep coming back.
Hi Cynwldkat:

Thanks for asking, I was wondering if the recipe was clear enough.

Hamburger - I just make the size of the patty according to who is going to eat it.
Potatoes - I use peeled raw white potatoes. I haven't tried with red potatoes but I am thinking they may be a good idea. I slice them (about 1/4 inch), the short way so that they are just flat circles. I use anywhere between a half to a whole potatoe just depends on the size. You really can't go wrong there, you can put as many as you want.
Green beans and onions - you can use as many as you want. I usually make three foil burgers. I split the can of green beans between the three burgers.

I put everything on top of the hamburger patty. Don't forget to season. I am big on seasoning, so I season the meat, and sprinkle pepper on top of the mixture.

Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Mangia is eat!!!!!!!!
cyn: You know you are always welcome to my Wife's recipes. She only gives them to me occasionally so i can put them into a recipe file to share with others. Once she tweaks an Italian recipe she doesn't need the recipe again...it's an ethnic thing with Italian women I think. Let me know which ones I have already given you so I will know which ones to send you.

Lacey..we'll have to make you an Honorary Italian for knowing that

Rain has stopped and life here at the beach is renewing itself again...but back home in farm country it looks like the wetlands...no drought there!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
Hi Cynwldkat:

Thanks for asking, I was wondering if the recipe was clear enough.

Hamburger - I just make the size of the patty according to who is going to eat it.
Potatoes - I use peeled raw white potatoes. I haven't tried with red potatoes but I am thinking they may be a good idea. I slice them (about 1/4 inch), the short way so that they are just flat circles. I use anywhere between a half to a whole potatoe just depends on the size. You really can't go wrong there, you can put as many as you want.
Green beans and onions - you can use as many as you want. I usually make three foil burgers. I split the can of green beans between the three burgers.

I put everything on top of the hamburger patty. Don't forget to season. I am big on seasoning, so I season the meat, and sprinkle pepper on top of the mixture.

Let me know how it turns out.
Wonderful and thank you for being so detailed with this recipe. Now, one more queston, what temp do you bake them at???

Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Wonderful and thank you for being so detailed with this recipe. Now, one more queston, what temp do you bake them at???
Oh that's a good one Cyn.
I didn't think of that but I guess it's one itty bitty important point!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
cyn: You know you are always welcome to my Wife's recipes. She only gives them to me occasionally so i can put them into a recipe file to share with others. Once she tweaks an Italian recipe she doesn't need the recipe again...it's an ethnic thing with Italian women I think. Let me know which ones I have already given you so I will know which ones to send you.

Lacey..we'll have to make you an Honorary Italian for knowing that

Rain has stopped and life here at the beach is renewing itself again...but back home in farm country it looks like the wetlands...no drought there!!!
Thank you so much--trouble is I don't know which to ask for??!! I love all Italian foods!! But I don't know the names of the dishes. I am so excited at the thought of trying some more new good recipes. YUMMY!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink