Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
VP-Fra Diablo means "sauce of the devil" so it's a hot, spicy red sauce. Lots of red pepper flakes.
Red pepper flakes? Never even seen those but I'll look next time at the supermarket.

I've had it before but I don't remember it being tooooo spicy. I can take a little, very little, spicy - depending on the spice.

How about just the mussels with the FRA without the diabolo?

Mussels FRA, or Mussels a la Fra....

Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Got it!! Hubbie just now said he LOVES eggplant parmiagiano---nice to know after being married 20 years and never making it for him, huh? I haven't even tried it myself.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
Gonna try this recipe one more time..hope it gets through right:

EGGPLANT PARMIAGIANO

Ingredients
2 medium size eggplants
basic sauce
extra virgin olive oil
flour
2 large eggs
salt
black pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Take 2 medium eggplants, peel and slice in rounds about ½’ thick and set aside. In a bowl, mix 2 large eggs, salt and pepper (to taste) and beat together. Put 2 cups of flour in a pie plate. Dip eggplant, a slice at a time, into the egg mix then the flour. Put ¼ cup olive oil or canola oil into a large frying pan. Fry eggplant until brown and crisp, adding oil as needed. Remove from pan and place into a dish. Use a casserole dish big enough to take 2 layers. Spray the casserole dish first to prevent sticking. Put enough sauce in the casserole dish to cover the bottom then layer in half the eggplant. Cover eggplant with sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat eggplant, sauce and cheese. Do not cover. Bake at 350 degrees for ½ hour. Cut into squares as you would lasagna and serve with salad and Italian bread
That sounds delicioso!!!

I'll have to buy the pots/casserole dishes first.

What's "basic sauce"? Homemade? or from jar or canned?

Is that Marinara or what?

Yeah, I'm one of those Ragu or Prego kids too. :-)))

Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Just do the mussels in a marinara sauce-very low fat. Of course all the bread you dip in the sauce doesn't count.

I also have done them in a white wine sauce w/lots of garlic, fresh parsley.

I could live on mussels and when we lived at Jersey shore I ate so much seafood-never had a weight problem.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Just do the mussels in a marinara sauce-very low fat. Of course all the bread you dip in the sauce doesn't count.

I also have done them in a white wine sauce w/lots of garlic, fresh parsley.

I could live on mussels and when we lived at Jersey shore I ate so much seafood-never had a weight problem.
Right? And the cholesterol in seafood is the good kind too.

I love anything sea food. I even eat conch, snail, squid.. all of it.

(as long as somebody else is making it).

Sometimes I wish I had learned to cook really well and could be one of those people that can make up something delicious out of thin air. They have a knack and creativity that I surely don't.

Restaurant food is not usually that great and I can't tell one ingredient/brand from another anyway.

I'm really bad at this stuff aren't I.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Not any worse than some of us when we started out!

You could use a jarred marinara for the eggplant but use a good one. If your store has Rao's it's good but pricey.

Marinara is very easy to make. Just saute onion and garlic in olive oil, add good quality canned tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find-whole peeled plum tomatoes), salt/pepper, dash of red pepper flakes, fresh parsley-you're done! Just let it cook about 25 min. From there build your eggplant parm or add seafood.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:13 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Being raised way up in the mountains in CA---50 miles from a real grocery store--we ate fish practically never. Once in awhile we'd have frozen, battered shrimp but that was it. We did have fresh caught trout rarely. Now my hubbie is from Mich and loves, loves ocean fish of all kinds. He has made several kinds and so far I enjoy them all. I even have a world record fish I caught in the ocean near Catalina......and that was only about 10 years ago. I'd never really been ocean fishing until I married my hubbie and once I did I fell in love with it. My feelings are either catch and release or if you are going to keep it eat it! Oh, and by the way, I let my world record fish go after I got all the necessary info for it. I am not a trophy hunter!! Now I'm seriously thinking about learning some fish recipes myself.....and of course more Italian!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,977 times
I'm having lasagne, garlic bread and green salad tonight. My favourite.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
vpcats, here's one thing you can get right away, it's called 'Promise activ take control', used to just be called Take Control, my dh's Dr. told him to use it, it's like the Smart Balance or the regular Promise spread, but it's got something in it that actualy will reduce your cholesterol. Another thing I do is use butter flavor Pam if i'm making-(well, I do Sweet Italian loaf, because it's lower in sodium than most of the breads out there) toasted in the oven. Olive oil is good to use, it has the good cholesterol-when you are looking at the fats in foods, look for the monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated, those are the good fats. They will help reduce your cholesterol by (like) scrubbing the plaque from the arteries-that is what i've been led to believe anyway.
Fat free cheeses are-well, just go with reduced fat if you are going to have cheese! The reduced fat parmesan is good, though. Fat free sour cream is good, and yogurt too. Last week I made a marinade from fat free lemon yogurt, some lime juice, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin and put it in a ziplock with some boneless skinless chicken breasts. The next day I coated it and cooked it and it was so good and tender and moist!
Not all seafood has the good fats. Unfortunately.
The thing to do is try to make small changes-try that promise stuff, say farewell to cheesey foods...red meats-well there is NO way my husband is going to give those up, so we just try to buy the leaner stuff and drain the living daylights out of it. You know, Promise also has those new little drink things that is supposed to bring down your cholesterol, too. Good luck. It is doable!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm copying all this stuff. Then I'm going back through all the recipes and I'm going to plan a few days' menus.

Most of the ingredients are things I don't have so I have to make a list and go shopping.

My bf makes cuban food and it's usually the same basic seasoning.

I'm more "americanized" and go for a very different style. When I cook, he's always left hungry. I'm more salad, veggies, and he has to have rice and beans every day. :-))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink