Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:43 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

That's funny Lacey....my son cooks great and his new wife rarely cooks anything---or at least hasn't as of yet! I'm hoping since he's working and putting in so many long hours right now she'll either cook or learn how to cook. Cooking is not one of my favorite past times---it is a necessity! That's why I started this thread and it has helped a lot to bring some excitement back into cooking. I can actually say that I look forward to making new interesting dinners I have found on here. That's amazing for me!!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
My father did a lot of the cooking when I was growing up....especially when Mom went to work out side of the home. Dad was a minister and his office was next door to the house so he could get supper started while Mom was still at work and she didnt have to cook when she got home.

Dad really liked his own cooking best so he liked this arrangement...Mom liked to cook but let him have the lead role in the kitchen. She had specialties and enjoyed cooking Thanksgiving etc...but Dad was the day-in day-out cook, once we were out of elementary school and Mom was working (to save money to send us to college).

Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Not to stray too far, but my husband has always been able to cook a few things pretty good. Both of our sons learned to cook also. I tried to show them as much as possible about cooking , cleaning the house, laundry, etc. Thought that they needed to be self sufficient. It helped them when they lived off campus while attending college. And I asked the 15 yr. old gr.son about the dinner plans for tonight. Sloppy Joes it is. I know, not a whole lot of preparation, but he will do it! Mentioned dessert to him. May have to be banana splits. He'll have to do that also! Yes, he is a keeper. Younger gr.son will observe and may have him help for tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
YUM! I am opting for a repeat of last night's dinner -- a feast of fresh, summer vegetables and fruits.

I had sweet corn-on-the-cob, red ripe tomatoes (from the local Farmer's Market), and stir-fried eggplant (the long, skinny variety that look much like purple cucumbers). I added a baked potato for my husband, and cooked some fresh spinach and sweet onion for him, too. He is allergic to corn, so I buy a few ears for myself from time to time.

We ate like kings, as the saying goes.

Dessert was sliced, ripe strawberries with a handful of blueberries, and some lite Cool-Whip, while we watched some TV.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Good morning.

I bought some yellow squash this weekend with every bit of intention of finding a few kind souls here who could tell me what to do with them.

I know I've read a few recipes for them before but where might those be at this point.

So........in the spirit of helping a totally incompetent cook here.... where do I start?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
My son is a great cook....experiments a lot and is very good at it. My daughter is just starting to cook well. She just needed a boost of confidence.
You have to teach them so they can be self sufficient...best thing you can is to teach them that and give them wings to fly.
When my FIL died, my MIL didn't even know how to write a check.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
vp..........I slice it, simmer it with some garlic powder until it is soft...add a bit of butter, and black pepper. So delicious. OR I will slice it, add zucchini, mushrooms, onion slices with a little Pam, cajun spice, garlic..when it is a little soft, I add a can of tomatoes and just simmer it covered.
Hope that helps.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
VP-yep I second what Crazy suggested.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
vp..........I slice it, simmer it with some garlic powder until it is soft...add a bit of butter, and black pepper. So delicious. OR I will slice it, add zucchini, mushrooms, onion slices with a little Pam, cajun spice, garlic..when it is a little soft, I add a can of tomatoes and just simmer it covered.
Hope that helps.
OK Crazy....I'm going to try this tomorrow. I had thought about steaks on the BBQ and the squash.

I thought you could just slice the squash and put it on the grill. No?

So if if do it in a pan, on the stove, do you just slice it thin or thick? Do you peel it?

(I am a really BAD cook)!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
After the last few days, I think we're havng a "Fast".

At least I feel like we should. But I'll probabley sucomb to some tortillias stuffed with some left over roast beef with cheese, tomato, & diced sweet onion. Mine wll also include some jalapeno slices. This may change if I see a "trigger post". Yep that's a post that triggers my taste buds to remember something they had forgotten. I think a pitcher of tea will about top it off. Cobbler is no more so dessert will probably be a mini "fast".
Have a great day everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink