Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,994,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I have the rum and may put a shot in when I make it this week.
I used Meyer's Rum, it is a bit sweeter than regular dark rum; if i were going to use regular rum.....I might add a touch of brown sugar or molasses.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 PM

424 posts, read 1,675,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I've just received some special inheritance. The Mrs. came in with a quart of home preserved guavas. Now It's been many, many moons since we have had such a rare treat . Now I know some one on this thread must have a favorite topping like used on apple & peach cobblers. So now is a good time to please rescue me from my ignorance of such culinary handicap once again. Please and thank you. My grandmother made such a life time ago and I'm like a kid at the moment the day before Christmas. I can smell it baking almost now...I know that a ham steak, mustard greens, and some red potatoes would welcome some guava cobbler tomorrow.
Are these whole preserved guava shells or chunks? With either (expecially the shells), I like to put a big chunk of cream cheese in the middle, throw a few white grapes in there, and dust the whole thing with ground cardamom. You could also toss in some walnuts, etc. It makes a nice dessert.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
They are shells and I like cream cheese so it is an option. Would sub pecans for walnuts. Have white grapes in fridge. Will need the cardamom though. That's a new item to me. Thanks for the idea.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,750 times
Well, my BF is truly the best! He surprised me by getting us a hotel up in the mountains (Glenwood Springs) to escape the heat in Denver....we also camped one night too. Anyway, last night's dinner was seafood gumbo, hushpuppies, and a pound of peel and eat shrimp....yum! Tonight we cooked leftover camp food: cheddar brats with sauted peppers and onions and some doctored up baked beans.

Everyone's meals sound SO tasty!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Tonight I made a vegetarian, mexican chilli. Really simple and easy.

Browned some onion, capsicum (peppers), garlic and chilli in a little oil, with several tablespoons of Mexicana flavouring, then added a can of diced tomato, a large can of drained red kidney beans and a can of drained corn kernels and let the whole lot simmer away.

I heated some wholemeal tortillas in the microwave and had diced tomato, spanish onion, grated cheese, shredded lettuce, some jalepenos and some tzatziki (in place of sour cream) in serving bowls and we all just made our own to our individual liking. It was yum and pretty healthy too and REALLY EASY!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Angeli-what a love you are-thank you-I had tagliatele bolognese in Rhode Is. Thought I'd died and went to heaven!! Double hugs!

Bologna is reportedly the place in Italy for eating. My dream vacation would be to go there with clothes 3 sizes too big and not leave 'til they fit, and magically became 3 sizes too big again on the flight home

Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bologna is reportedly the place in Italy for eating.
That was where I had my first gnocchi. MMmm.
Last night we had fresh red grouper with bright green pistou sauce on the side--the pistou was jazzed up with fresh lime juice as well as some lime zest.
I seasoned the grouper filet with salt, pepper and a bit of cumin, then my kid bbq'd it and we had the pistou with it, along with oven fries and a salad with homegrown tomatoes.

Tonight: fresh wild-caught salmon. I'm not sure what to do with it; I don't want to do too much because I want to enjoy its flavor. Anyone have any suggestions?
I was thinking of maybe just pan-searing it then serving it with mustard, fresh tarragon and capers.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Salmon is the only fish I don't either fry or do on the grill. I usually do salmon in our toaster oven. I've used liquid smoke, everglades heat, down to nothing but a little salt and white pepper. I slow bake it after searing it on broil. I'm also over due for some myself so if it is available this coming week I'll be having some soon. My problem has always been what to do for veggies along with it. A good home made coleslaw is all that seems to appeal to me.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,336 times
Happy Sunday! No clue what's for dinner tonight, hubby is cooking for a change. Right about now I would like a bite of all the food that everybody is having or had last night, lol.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Salmon is the only fish I don't either fry or do on the grill. I usually do salmon in our toaster oven..
That's actually what I usually do if we don't grill it.
I do have a cedar plank, maybe I could plank it. We shall see!
Denise, good for you for getting a break from the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink