Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Now that is a good hubby! LOL My hubby has been banned from cooking... too many out there/odd experiments gone SERIOUSLY wrong and a rather large fire in oven... I like my house and health too much to let him cook LOL

Now, tonight my dear hubby is taking me out to dinner and a movie... going to see Mama Mia... still trying to figure out where to eat... Had such a good time at the Mediteranian place I am tempted to go back... but then again branching out would be nice.....

I am so lucky- this is my second date night this month! Kids were asked to spend the night at the In-Laws... How could I refuse? LOL
I hope you'll have a great night and much fun... Hmmm, eating out. Good idea. I have this appetite for Greek again. Will tell this DH, maybe we can go out some time next week.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Maybe leftover soup - depends on how much DH and my parents have left over

If it's not too much I'm thinking about putting a pizza in the oven b/c I will do the cooking for DH, DS, my parents and me for this weekend

Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
My mom's recipe for stroganoff is still my favorite, even though the foodie I'm married to turns his nose up at a stroganoff recipe that doesn't get its color from paprika. I still love it anyway, and sometimes I kick him out of the kitchen so I can cook it the way I like it. He's pretty patient about it, although I can see him twitching when I do something "wrong" while cooking.

Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 lb lean beef, cut in strips
Salt & pepper
2 T butter
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
2 T flour
2 c. beef broth
3 T sherry
2 T tomato paste
1 t. dry mustard
2/3 c. sour cream

Dust the meat strips with the salt & pepper and set aside in the fridge for a few hours.

Melt butter in a large skillet and saute the mushrooms until they start to sweat. Remove mushrooms from pan.

Place sliced onion in pan and saute until golden. Remove from pan.

Add a bit more butter and brown the beef strips on all sides, working with small amounts at a time. Remove from pan.

Add the flour to the pan and stir/brown to make a light roux. Add beef broth and stir until thick. Add sherry, tomato paste and dry mustard and blend well.

Then put the mushrooms, onions and beef all back into the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream.

Serve over noodles or riced potatoes.
Yum! I mostly use pork but I guess that's up to everyone's taste.

However, I add some capers to have it more on the sour-creamy line.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
My mom's recipe for stroganoff is still my favorite, even though the foodie I'm married to turns his nose up at a stroganoff recipe that doesn't get its color from paprika. I still love it anyway, and sometimes I kick him out of the kitchen so I can cook it the way I like it. He's pretty patient about it, although I can see him twitching when I do something "wrong" while cooking.

Beef Stroganoff

1 1/2 lb lean beef, cut in strips
Salt & pepper
2 T butter
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion, sliced
2 T flour
2 c. beef broth
3 T sherry
2 T tomato paste
1 t. dry mustard
2/3 c. sour cream

Dust the meat strips with the salt & pepper and set aside in the fridge for a few hours.

Melt butter in a large skillet and saute the mushrooms until they start to sweat. Remove mushrooms from pan.

Place sliced onion in pan and saute until golden. Remove from pan.

Add a bit more butter and brown the beef strips on all sides, working with small amounts at a time. Remove from pan.

Add the flour to the pan and stir/brown to make a light roux. Add beef broth and stir until thick. Add sherry, tomato paste and dry mustard and blend well.

Then put the mushrooms, onions and beef all back into the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Five minutes before serving, stir in the sour cream.

Serve over noodles or riced potatoes.
Oh that sounds perfect! Only thing I don't have is the sherry---is it really a must? Can I substitute something else for that?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
No cooking tonight. Nada. Going out to a little mom & pop joint with live music. A real cracker cowboy that we know does a gig every Friday night and we are going to do a little catching up on the social scene. It won't be as electrifying as when he preforms from his dancing horse but still fun. Now for the dinner part who knows? They should have something that consists of southern soul.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh that sounds perfect! Only thing I don't have is the sherry---is it really a must? Can I substitute something else for that?
try this site for substitutions

Cooking Sherry - Ingredients, Substitutions and Equivalents

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 AM

48,126 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
If it were me trying to substitute I would think I would need 3 T of some liquid for the liquid content to be the same.

perhaps another wine...???? Marsala comes to mind

or perhaps 2 T balsamic vinegar...and 1 T of water I think this would work

or perhaps 1 T bourbon or rum and 2 T water

I wouldnt NOT make the dish because of that. But that's me.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:04 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Good morning all. The beef stroganoff sound delicious, may be my future! No cooking for me tonight I am working. Will check back to see what's cooking with everyone else, have a great day!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
I'm often lost in the Ozone when it comes to cuts of meat. Any preferred type when making things like stroganoff?

Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm often lost in the Ozone when it comes to cuts of meat. Any preferred type when making things like stroganoff?
I prefer the leaner cuts of sirloin but even chuck works if you drain the fat. I prefer the flavor of the chuck so it's really a toss up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink