Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
LOL I like to cook em in a black cast iron pan also.....but our seasons are different...during the summer I do em on the grilll.....cook indoors in the winter!
Yep, ours are just the opposite. Now I've been know to get cabin fever so bad when in MI that I fired up a charcoal grill in March and did steaks in the snow. Cabin fever is the norm for me from June until November here in the deep south. 60 more or so days and the grill had better be ready.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Speaking of cast iron....

I bought this "pot" at Costco last weekend. It says "Dutch Oven" but it's a really, REALLY heavy black cast iron pot with a lid. The box says it's already seasoned. It's not very big and it only cost $20. I don't know what to do with it but I've seen recipes here that use a Dutch oven so I saw it and I bought it for "future reference".

I don't know that I can wash it though. It is really heavy. I hate to wash even the pressure cooker so if my BF uses it, he washes it. Think I'll make a deal with the Dutch oven.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

I bought this "pot" at Costco last weekend. It says "Dutch Oven" but it's a really, REALLY heavy black cast iron pot with a lid. The box says it's already seasoned. It's not very big and it only cost $20. I don't know what to do with it but I've seen recipes here that use a Dutch oven so I saw it and I bought it for "future reference".

I don't know that I can wash it though. It is really heavy. I hate to wash even the pressure cooker so if my BF uses it, he washes it. Think I'll make a deal with the Dutch oven.
I hope you got the instructions for caring for cast iron. Make sure it gets dried well and maybe oil lightly after use to prevent rust spots. If it is seasoned properly that will help. It's been a while but seems that there was a seasoning for cast iron on a thread here somewhere. elston you got any advice here?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,903 times
Quote:

Don't trust them. If I were you I would season it again.
It is a little messy but worth it, you could leave it in your will to grandkids

Olive oil is the best, just take a brush and oil and coat very thin (make sure it doesn't drip). Place the pot in the hot oven to 450 F for 30 minutes. Take out, let cool and repeat 3 times. It may smoke a little.

Don't store food in it. After use, wash and dry it right away.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM

Ohhhhh. Glad I mentioned it. Had no idea I needed to season it again or do anything special with it. I took it out of the box and threw the box away, so no, no instructions or even a label anymore to really check.

Well I have a 3 day weekend now. Saturday will be errands and laundry. Sunday we're going to the Keys for the day. Looks like Monday, or maybe even Saturday, will be cast iron pot seasoning day!

LOLLLL you guys are great! Make me work some more!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Ohhhhh. Glad I mentioned it. Had no idea I needed to season it again or do anything special with it. I took it out of the box and threw the box away, so no, no instructions or even a label anymore to really check.

Well I have a 3 day weekend now. Saturday will be errands and laundry. Sunday we're going to the Keys for the day. Looks like Monday, or maybe even Saturday, will be cast iron pot seasoning day!

LOLLLL you guys are great! Make me work some more!
I googled "season cast iron". This is first on the list. No harm done with loosing any instructions.

Seasoning and Caring for cast iron cookware

There are many more links on the page too.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 PM

Tomorrow I'm making one of those pork tenderloins that I bought the other day with one of the recipes posted here the other day.

Wish me luck!

Very interesting Nomad.

To tell you the truth, if I had known I'd have to do this, I wouldn't have bought the pan. I know, I know. I'm bad. I'd rather do laundry.

Last edited by vpcats; 08-28-2008 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Brain faster than fingers.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow I'm making one of those pork tenderloins that I bought the other day with one of the recipes posted here the other day.

Wish me luck!

Very interesting Nomad.

To tell you the truth, if I had known I'd have to do this, I wouldn't have bought the pan. I know, I know. I'm bad. I'd rather do laundry.
Once you get the hang of cooking with cast iron you'll want more.
It's a whole new world for the taste buds.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,381 times
Funny Vpcats I made Balsamic marinated Pork Tenderloin, creamy garlic mashed potatos, & sweet white corn on the cobb. I was trying a new recipe and am happy with how it turned out Hope everyone is doing Great!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,121 times
Had breakfast for dinner tonight. A couple eggs, sausage and potatoes with cranberry and pink grapefruit mixed about 50/50 for a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink