Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,218 times

Advertisements

Gem, I learned to cook fish and corn this way when I used to go on my numerous fishing trips, both fresh water in Pa. and deep sea in Jersey.

Katsmeeyow, Leave the silk and husks in place. They come off very easily after cooking. The only problem is that they're extremely hot so watch your fingers, hands and mouth.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post

Nomad, Nomad, Nomad - once again we are in tune! I love pizza (minus the fish or fruit) and would love to get a GOOD barbecue pizza! YUM! There is a family owned Italian restaurant here called "Gargano's" and to me, this is the best pizza ever! Mama Suzy used to dance with the wine bottle on her head at special occasions before she got too old. The food is still good, but I think it has suffered some since "Mama" died. Still the best pizza I ever had though!
I still have to have me fruit. I like pie cherries with cinnamon and apple pie filling with cinnamon and and and and you name it. Give bacon, broccoli, and plenty of elbow room and I've got another favorite dinner. I only get the fruity kinds at pizza buffets and don't go there often as it is not a smart move on my part. About every 3 months and I'm game though.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
NJMike

Thanks! I had heard alternating ways of doing this, with some saying to peel back the husks and remove the silks, add butter and salt - before putting the husks back in place. I would think the silks would come off easier after being grilled?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
This is optional. Some like to add the sour cream, some don't.
They go well together like Pizza and Parmesan.

It is a matter of taste.
Cuisinette, The only Borscht I'm familiar with is the red (beet) borscht.

Gem, Try making fish soup (NOT chowder). I'm sure there are receipes for fish soup where the fish heads are NOT used.

Katsmeeyow: The silks and husks come off very easy. Just use an oven mitt or tongs to hold the corn so that you don't get burned.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I still have to have me fruit. I like pie cherries with cinnamon and apple pie filling with cinnamon and and and and you name it. Give bacon, broccoli, and plenty of elbow room and I've got another favorite dinner. I only get the fruity kinds at pizza buffets and don't go there often as it is not a smart move on my part. About every 3 months and I'm game though.
The pie cherries and apple pie fillings, both with cinnamon, are good on their own as deserts.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
The pie cherries and apple pie fillings, both with cinnamon, are good on their own as deserts.
They sure are and now I've got a craving for both. Maybe just maybe I can sweet talk the Mrs into at least one of them in a cobbler for tomorrow's dinner. Rather have a thin pizza crust style dessert but a cobbler is easier to store in the fridge in the smaller & deeper dish.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
The ham was delicious! DP loved it and ate so much he passed on the cheesecake and fell asleep right after supper......

Amber I loved the cheesecake....I usually am not good at deserts....it was wonderful....I could take that to someones house if they asked me to make desert. Now I have a desert I can make. thank you

Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
They sure are and now I've got a craving for both. Maybe just maybe I can sweet talk the Mrs into at least one of them in a cobbler for tomorrow's dinner. Rather have a thin pizza crust style dessert but a cobbler is easier to store in the fridge in the smaller & deeper dish.
I also like rhubarb as a desert by itself.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:51 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Elston, I am glad the ham was a success! I can always tell if the meal was a success if DH falls asleep soon after!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,134,645 times
Hey, thanks, njmike. I hadn't thought of making fish soup. As you probably know I am very allergic to hundreds of foods and herbs. It is pretty limiting when you can only eat 15, 16 foods. That is why you usually see me post what I make the family for dinner - and then I tell you what I have for myself.

However, I make a soup out of any of the foods that I can have, and do make chowder for the family. A clear broth fish soup would be perfect for me! I'll add some potatoes (allowed), some corn (allowed) and a few broccoli tops (allowed) instead of celery and onion (NOT ALLOWED). Sounds good - what do ya think?

Katsmeeyow, the roasting corn actually steams the silk loose from the kernals so it is easier to remove than when husking uncooked corn. It is a wonderful smoky, tender, moist corn!! I can taste it now!

Cuisinette, I love the taste my brain is cooking up with the sour cream in the Borscht. (I hope that isn't my brain cooking!! ) I wonder if plain yogurt doctored up would be an adequate substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink