Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
I got the same dilemma...every day.
And, what's worse is...I work in the meat department and KNOW what we have....huh.
I started cooking with a lot of fresh herbs I grow myself.
It really does something to the senses, changes the taste, make it interesting to the eyes and takes the "boredom" out of the prepared meal.
They are right when they are saying, that the "eyes eat too".....and it couldn't be more true.
I also started cooking more with wines.....which turns out absolutely stunning in taste.
I swear, if you take regular dishes you are used to, and add some "snazzy" and colorful "pizazz" to it, it changes everything! (If I can do it, you can...because I am not really that good of a cook....but I am learning and advancing...lol)
Cute and informative post. Please share some of your dinner ideas with us!! OK, I add the spices/herbs and or wine but to what? My imagination with cooking is not that great. And what kind of wines?? Which spices/herbs?? Thanks!!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Cute and informative post. Please share some of your dinner ideas with us!! OK, I add the spices/herbs and or wine but to what? My imagination with cooking is not that great. And what kind of wines?? Which spices/herbs?? Thanks!!
OK....example...tonight I am making thick cut Pork Rib Chops.
I just season them with some pepper and salt, and I braise (brown) them in a large frying pan.
I will add some white wine (ANY will do!!!) and fresh rosemary, and will let it simmer on very, very low for 1-2 hours! (With the lid on!)
After they are done, they will almost fall off the bone....
I will carefully take them out, place on a pre-warmed plate, and set aside.
Now I tend to the sauce, which remains and has thickened in the frying pan. I add some heavy whipped cream (pork- delicate, white wine, light and dark sauces, beef red wines and usually dark, robust sauces) throw some fresh herbs in it (like basil, oregano...etc!) and bring the sauce to a boil. (for about 1 -2 min).
Taste test...add more wine, cream, herbs...etc.)
If the sauce is to thick, add more wine...if the sauce is to thin...add some cornstarch!
Serve the pork chops on a bed of rice, noodles or potatoes on the side....serve with the sauce.
For an added eye candy, put a whole leaf of basil or a whole spring of rosemary on top of the pork chop!
It will taste, look and smell like a million bucks! (So simple!)
One thing to remember is (that's what I remind my customers of...DAILY!)
* a good meal/ especially a roast can't be rushed!
* a good roast beef, or any roast needs TIME....low cooking temperature...but long cooking time, and ALWAYS BRAISE THE MEAT FIRST TO CLOSE THE PORES and trap the juices! Always cook with the FAT SIDE UP! The melting fat will run down, keep the moisture and flavor in the meat.
* a good roast, or any meat will continue cooking AFTER it's been taken from the heat source. It is so important to let it rest...otherwise it will "bleed" out, meaning all the juices will come running out.
* the fresher the ingredients....the better the overall taste will be!!!
Grow your herbs in the house, by a window/ light source, or on your patio during the summer months. I live here in FL, and could grow them outside year round, but find it right now a bit more convenient to grow them inside, since we are in rent right now!
Don't be afraid to experiment around a bit....I did, and I am still doing it.....lol.....you will be surprised on how simple it really is!
BTW....I always have an everyday red (Merlot) and white wine (Riesling) in the house....not only for the recipes, but the the chef itself as well....lol.

Last edited by MB2; 11-10-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: spell check...what else? lol

Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Super post..thank you very much. I don't know about anyone else but this definately gives me some ideas. Fun ideas. I especially like the idea about having the wine on hand for not only the recipes but also for the chef. I have also found that to be so true. It sure helps both!!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
I couldn't find a thread covering this but I could have missed it if there is one. Anyhow, I don't know about anyone else but I am so tired of just figuring out WHAT to make for dinner each night!! I get stuck making the same dishes and it's getting old fast!! Please help by giving us all some interesting and easy ideas!!!
bbq chicken

Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
I love homemade chicken soup but I don't have a good recipe. Mind sharing???
I don't have a recipe, but take a nice plump stewing chicken and put it, with the giblets, into a big pot of water. Throw in the tops from a bunch of celery (the leaves and about 4"..the part that usually gets thrown away), an onion, and whatever else you feel like. Today I threw in some fresh parsley, some sage, salt & pepper, garlic powder. Simmer for a few hours, cool. Pour the broth through a strainer. Take the meat off the chicken and add it to the broth. Throw out everything else. Now adjust the seasoning of the broth if you think it needs anything.
Now you can add anything you want: potato, carrots, dumplings, spatzel, matzo balls, or whatever. Mine will be more like a chicken stew than a plain basic chicken soup, since I'm adding lots of vegetables and some kind of dumpling, but once you get the broth and chicken part done you can proceed from there however you want.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 AM

Now that is EXACTLY the kind of chicken and dumplings/soup I want to try. No true recipe but what works for you. If it works for you it should work for me. I love it. That's how people use to cook a lot of the time---by taste. Some people are very good at that kind of cooking. I'm not one of those lucky people. But I sure am willing to try a dish from someone else that can do the taste kind of cooking and shares with me!! Yummy! Thanks.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
OK....example...tonight I am making thick cut Pork Rib Chops.
I just season them with some pepper and salt, and I braise (brown) them in a large frying pan.
I will add some white wine (ANY will do!!!) and fresh rosemary, and will let it simmer on very, very low for 1-2 hours! (With the lid on!)
After they are done, they will almost fall off the bone....
I will carefully take them out, place on a pre-warmed plate, and set aside.
Now I tend to the sauce, which remains and has thickened in the frying pan. I add some heavy whipped cream (pork- delicate, white wine, light and dark sauces, beef red wines and usually dark, robust sauces) throw some fresh herbs in it (like basil, oregano...etc!) and bring the sauce to a boil. (for about 1 -2 min).
Taste test...add more wine, cream, herbs...etc.)
If the sauce is to thick, add more wine...if the sauce is to thin...add some cornstarch!
Serve the pork chops on a bed of rice, noodles or potatoes on the side....serve with the sauce.
For an added eye candy, put a whole leaf of basil or a whole spring of rosemary on top of the pork chop!
It will taste, look and smell like a million bucks! (So simple!)
One thing to remember is (that's what I remind my customers of...DAILY!)
* a good meal/ especially a roast can't be rushed!
* a good roast beef, or any roast needs TIME....low cooking temperature...but long cooking time, and ALWAYS BRAISE THE MEAT FIRST TO CLOSE THE PORES and trap the juices! Always cook with the FAT SIDE UP! The melting fat will run down, keep the moisture and flavor in the meat.
* a good roast, or any meat will continue cooking AFTER it's been taken from the heat source. It is so important to let it rest...otherwise it will "bleed" out, meaning all the juices will come running out.
* the fresher the ingredients....the better the overall taste will be!!!
Grow your herbs in the house, by a window/ light source, or on your patio during the summer months. I live here in FL, and could grow them outside year round, but find it right now a bit more convenient to grow them inside, since we are in rent right now!
Don't be afraid to experiment around a bit....I did, and I am still doing it.....lol.....you will be surprised on how simple it really is!
BTW....I always have an everyday red (Merlot) and white wine (Riesling) in the house....not only for the recipes, but the the chef itself as well....lol.
I'm making pork chops for dinner tonight--thanks to one of the many great ideas here!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:30 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
I couldn't find a thread covering this but I could have missed it if there is one. Anyhow, I don't know about anyone else but I am so tired of just figuring out WHAT to make for dinner each night!! I get stuck making the same dishes and it's getting old fast!! Please help by giving us all some interesting and easy ideas!!!
A good really quick recipe for Eggplant Parmesan.
Preheat oven to 375.
1 lg or 2 med. eggplant
1/2 c. mayonnaise*
1 c. italian bread crumbs*
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese*
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
2 c grated mozzarella
Slice eggplant in 3/4" slices. Mix crumbs and parmesan in a dish. Spread each side of eggplant slices with mayonnaise and coat with crumb/parmesan mixture.
Place on baking sheet and bake until browned and tender... about 25 mins.
Pour spaghetti sauce over and top with mozzarella. Bake an additional few minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is warm, or just turn off the oven and let it keep warm for a half hour or so.
* You may need a little more, or less, depending on the amount of eggplant slices.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:40 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
We had chicken with rosemary and lemon juice grilled with baked potatos and cauliflower.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 AM

gentlearts, Thanks for the recipe. It will be a great dinner very soon. Tonight, since my husbands son is coming by, I promised goulash. My step-son asked if I could make enough for him to take some home too. Now that makes me like to cook!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink